Plate work for criticism/evaluation.

JDavis225
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3944 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Whew, I'm sure glad I don't have to worry about this stuff... :nod:

Nope. All you have to worry about are broken hands and arm contusions. :)

I haven't had an arm contusion since I stopped doing kiddie ball, and I have never broken a hand. The hands have been hit, but never broken. AND I never have any foot confusion! 

• Like 1

Good mechanics. But didn't like the looking to the side on called strikes. Towards the beginning with R1 the batter hit a ground ball to the infield but you took off towards 3rd instead of watching for pulled foot or overthrow. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Runner on 1st, ball hit to the infield, Possible double play situation, PU has possible interference when BU leave to take the throw into 1st. Atleast that is how we are taught. If you have no out at 2nd and since you are already up by the mound, you have runner advancing to 3rd, as BU will be pulled to 1st for the play there. 

As far as who has pulled foot at first or overthrow? In 2 man you have to give up somethings. That is one that you just can't cover. BU has to do his best to get a look at where the ball ends up. 

I am no expert. But that is what I am taught to do.

Pretty sure they're still talking about 3-man, so PU doesn't have the slide at second. He should trail the BR up the first base line just like with no runners. The PU won't go to third for the play there either, U3 has that.

Jordan,

Good video, looking good keep working hard. Work on that stance and you'll be fine. Makes me want to take a video now.

Gray hawk,

Jordan's right for getting into his stance. Its non slot (right on rh batter) then slot foot (left on rh batter) at least that's the way we were taught at TUS, so I imagine its correct.

This thread is what makes the UE forum great, all these helpful tips for a member.

Speaking of which, do you remember why they taught us non-slot and then slot foot? I notice other guys go slot foot first as well. However this weekend one of our instructors pulled me to the side and gave me some pointers and in his demonstration he confirmed TUS's idea and said non-slot then

If you go slot foot first, and then you step with your non-slot foot, it takes your head out of the slot. 

How so?  It really depends on the reference point you are using, and where you anchor yourself first.  If you misplace either foot first, your head will be out of position.  My concern with people placing their trail foot first is that they could tend to use F2 as a reference point, which will put you woefully out of the slot when he sets up outside.

ok.. 1st off we are going off the catcher to a point. the slot is the area between the catcher and the batter.. so if my non slot foot is put in 1st behind F2, then I step to the left my head will be between the the 2 of them or as we call it in the slot.

So if F2 sets up way outside, and you start with your trail foot behind him, you would be directly over the plate which is very near the kill zone.  If you place your slot foot first, lined up perpendicular to the center of the batter's feet, then you are in a great starting position every time.  If F2 then goes outside, you are deeper in the slot and although the feeling is that you are very exposed, you are nowhere near the kill zone.

Can someone that went to the Evans school confirm that this is how he teaches it?  I was initially trained by Western Region LL instructors and everything they taught was directly from Jim Evans.  As I said, it's also this way on the HS eval form that we use.

Don't worry evans uses the same...Now look if the F2 goes way outside of course your not going with him.

Good mechanics. But didn't like the looking to the side on called strikes. Towards the beginning with R1 the batter hit a ground ball to the infield but you took off towards 3rd instead of watching for pulled foot or overthrow. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Runner on 1st, ball hit to the infield, Possible double play situation, PU has possible interference when BU leave to take the throw into 1st. Atleast that is how we are taught. If you have no out at 2nd and since you are already up by the mound, you have runner advancing to 3rd, as BU will be pulled to 1st for the play there. 

As far as who has pulled foot at first or overthrow? In 2 man you have to give up somethings. That is one that you just can't cover. BU has to do his best to get a look at where the ball ends up. 

First you describe two man when the OP and the discussion was three man.

Secondly, whether PU or BU covers the second play in the infield has always been debated and the right / official answer has gone back and forth over the years.  So do what you want as long as both partners know what is going on so you don't have two umpires at one end and no one at the other.

If you stop worrying about placing your feet and place your chin on the inside corner, everything will probably work out.

That's exactly what I was thinking last night reading through all of this stuff about which foot to place first.  Just get pitches right and no one will care which foot gets planted first or what you put in your supply bucket.

I have just a couple of things. I think overall you're doing an excellent job. One of the things I noticed is that from time to time you're diving your head after the outside/low pitch on a RHB. Track the ball all the way to the mitt with your eyes (Yes, I'm Mr. Obvious).

I would also suggest that you're locking in too soon. Maybe this is a GD system tool, I don't know, but I think you'll do better if you wait a bit more before you lock in.

It looks like your CP isn't adjusted properly. Maybe it's just a nervous habit, but you're playing with it after nearly every pitch. I'd suggest getting it positioned so you don't have to continually tug at it.

I'm also curious why you walked the ball out to the pitcher when the ball was fouled back?

Tim.

I'm also curious why you walked the ball out to the pitcher when the ball was fouled back?

F2 took the foul shot.

I didn't see that. My internet connection at work was terrible yesterday. Nevermind that question. Giving F2 a few seconds to recover is the right way to do it.

Tim.

Pretty sure they're still talking about 3-man, so PU doesn't have the slide at second. He should trail the BR up the first base line just like with no runners. The PU won't go to third for the play there either, U3 has that.

Yeah my bad. I was thinking 2 man. 3 man you follow BR.