Out-overturned to safe on Obstruction

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4013 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Looks like Hernandez was on the beach the day in spring training that covering first was taught.  A bit interesting is that U1 missed this and the crew had to get together.

I thought the same, but do you think it blew up on him??

I think it was a somewhat unusual play (at least at the MLB level) and he missed the obvious OBS, it made it look like he didn't call it because the B/R was out by so much.

I think that if he had called it immediately you wouldn't have had an argument either way.  Girardi wouldn't have come out and Wedge really doesn't have an argument.  I think the whole getting together thing, while the right thing to do, made this a bit messy and was likely the reason for Wedge arguing.  U1 should have had the call, can't see how he missed F1 standing in the middle of the play.

A couple of thoughts here...

1. Pretty obvious obstruction.
  2. Why is Wedge seemingly talking exclusively to Hunter Wendelstedt
  3. Give credit where credit is due... The announcers actually said obstruction not interference :clap:  too bad the video text says interference.

Looks like Hernandez was on the beach the day in spring training that covering first was taught.  A bit interesting is that U1 missed this and the crew had to get together.

1st U1 didnt miss anything.. he is watching the throw come from almost behind his head, so what is he supposed ot watch? the runner,  running to 1st or the ball being fielded and thrown to 1st?

Clear cut OBS. Should have been called immediately. But they got it right.

How is this OBS.. he was out before the OBS happen, OBS didnt stop him from reaching 1st before the throw.

How do you know?  He had to slow down when F1 got in his way then he ran into F1.  Would have been a lot closer if not for those things.

I have Type A OBS.  Play is being made on the B/R and he's obstructed before he reaches first base.

One can make the argument the runner had to slow down to avoid the pitcher and this is textbook obstruction. While he might have still been put out, you cannot assume that and you have to rule obstruction in this case. 

As I reviewed the play, I would assume the first base umpire missed the pitcher getting in the base path because he was focused on the footwork at the bag and had tunnel vision taking place.

No I dont.. Porter was in a Great position.. although I had going into foul ground to make this call... he wasn't that close.. he is watching the ball being fielded and thrown to 1st.

I know what 7.06a says .. but I will disagree with this call...I know the ruling is right cause he was OBS prior to reaching 1s.. But the OBS had nothing to do with him being thrown out. even without OBS he was still out by 3 feet.

That's the point of Type A OBS though.  It doesn't matter how much he is out by because a play is being made on him.  You wouldn't call a runner out in a rundown who is obstructed simply because he was out by three feet.  You're still going to call OBS and award him a base.

• Like 1

No I dont.. Porter was in a Great position.. although I had going into foul ground to make this call... he wasn't that close.. he is watching the ball being fielded and thrown to 1st.

I do agree with this part.  As I said, this was a bastard play and Porter didn't have much of a chance of seeing the B/R, F1, F3, and watch the goofy throw coming from F4 all at the same time.  I like how they handled this and I think they got it right.

Clear cut OBS. Should have been called immediately. But they got it right.

How is this OBS.. he was out before the OBS happen, OBS didnt stop him from reaching 1st before the throw.

That's what I have - no OBS until after the out.  And yes I know the OBS can happen before the contact.

I don't fault U1 here: it's a tight play, and he has plenty to watch to get the safe/out right, which he did.

I like the OBS call: although the BR was out by a few steps, he slowed down as he approached the base. Any benefit of the doubt to the offense here.

Certainly in a FED game I'm getting OBS here, since I don't want a collision, and the doubt about how close it would be would be even greater.

I have OBS here all the way. I have read all the arguments, and watched the video replay 3 times now. The Pitcher impedes the runner from the basepath and blocks his access to the base.

I think the 1st base ump was watching the ball and force play, not paying attention to the pitcher standing in the base path. 

I like the reversal!