Tie Base Goes to The Runner? Snappy comeback?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4013 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

10u Rec ball game and I've got the plate and my partner is brand new (4th game ever, 15yo)

He's made a couple of calls on the field that were, shall we say, a bit dubious, but hey, he's new and it's 10u rec ball.

3rd out of the inning is one of those calls and HC starts coming out on the field to go after my partner and I jump in there and give him what for.  He ends the conversation by asking "Tie base goes to the runner right?" Oh how I wish I would have had a snappy comeback. I said no and he storms off muttering stuff... (to his credit he came over after the next half inning an apologized.)

So what snappy comeback would you have given him?

After the fact I thought I should have just stared at him with an incredulous look on my face and said "did you just ask me that? Really?"

Understand your thoughts but over the years, I've come to realize that not being the "snappy comeback guy" has paid off in better game management....doesnt mean I dont laugh a bit at them later.....

What would you say?

Yes Coach the Tie does go to the Runner..................IN KICKBALL.

Reference Section 10, rule 10.06  http://www.kickball.com/files/KICKBALL_OFFICIAL_RULES_2012.pdf

When dealing with coaches, I have to remind myself, DON'T POKE THE BEE HIVE WITH A STICK. A Simple "not in baseball" is probably the best response.

• Like 3

Understand your thoughts but over the years, I've come to realize that not being the "snappy comeback guy" has paid off in better game management....doesnt mean I dont laugh a bit at them later.....

What would you say?

.........."There are no ties coach, either ball beats runner, or runner beats ball, the umpire decides......lets play".......

• Like 1

What would you say?

.........."There are no ties coach, either ball beats runner, or runner beats ball, the umpire decides......lets play".......

The best so far.

Yes Coach the Tie does go to the Runner..................IN KICKBALL.

Reference Section 10, rule 10.06  http://www.kickball.com/files/KICKBALL_OFFICIAL_RULES_2012.pdf

When dealing with coaches, I have to remind myself, DON'T POKE THE BEE HIVE WITH A STICK. A Simple "not in baseball" is probably the best response.

that is awesome...I can use "that's a kickball rule" 

• Like 1

Thank You Stan....

Understand your thoughts but over the years, I've come to realize that by not being the "snappy comeback guy" it has paid off in better game management....doesnt mean I dont laugh a bit at them later.....

SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Understand your thoughts but over the years, I've come to realize that by not being the "snappy comeback guy" it has paid off in better game management....doesnt mean I dont laugh a bit at them later.....

I agree with this most of the time.  There are certain situations, not like this one, where a good one liner here or there can score you major points in the RIGHT situation.

The OP asked for a "snappy comeback"

I'm well aware of what it could do, but any idiot who's going to come out and argue one of the biggest rule myths of all time is in need of a "snappy comeback"

Advise to self:

Bite tongue, say "Do not Rethpond".  Repeat over and over until urge to start another 18 page thread on "tie goes to the runner" goes away

Stan has the best answer but my first thought after the kickball post, "Not in Calvinball."

How long has it been since we've had a Calvinball reference???

And since Calvin and Hobbs in no longer in print, how many people have no frame of reference?