Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4935 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

OK.  I am getting into umpiring.  I have zero equipment.  I plan to still coach school ball, so I will only be umpiring summer leagues.  I won't be doing a whole lot (at least early on) so I need some decent, cheap equipment (used is fine).  I may upgrade as I go along, but I need just basic equipment.  How much should I expect to spend?  What is a good place to get some equipment for cheap?

Posted

One tip - GET GOOD GEAR!

 

Do some searches on the equipment forum and you will find a lot.  My recommendation:

 

Mask - I'd get just about anything new or used and invest an additional $40 in Team Wendy pads.

Chest Protector - get a hardshell.  The Champion P2xx series is good and is cheap.  I got a new one on ebay for $35 last year.

Shin guards - just about anything will do.  For my first set I bought a used set of catchers guards from a secondhand shop and made them work

 

Other stuff is harder to recommend - get at least one navy shirt big enough to fit a chest protector under, at a minimum a pair of combo pants, a cap, plate brush, indicator and a ball bag.  I'd also recommend plate shoes if your budget permits it.

 

My first year I spent about $400 to get started on a tight budget (before I found out about this site) and ended up replacing almost everything I bought in the first year.  I seem to spend that much every year now on additional or upgraded gear...it's a sickness.

Posted

Pay for the best gear up front.  The cost hurts a bit, but you'll recoup all of the costs in your first year plus profit.  

 

Don't cheap out on gear.

 

If you can't afford to get the best gear brand new, then find the best gear used.

 

This site is a start.

Posted

I feel like that's solid advice IF you can afford it. When I got started I was doing it because I needed the money. Buying $400 worth of gear plus $100 in apparel just wasn't at all possible.

I had to go the intermediate gear route and upgrade as I went. After a couple of weekends I got to where I could get something new each month. Less than a year in, I feel pretty confident in all my gear and I'm in the process of selling my excess for a low cost to guys that are in the same boat I was in.

Posted

For some reason some umpires will tell you to buy cheap when you start out. Wrong! You'll probably start out doing lower level ball and the catching tends to be awful. Why would you want to protect yourself with cut rate gear? Get plate shoes, a hard shell chest protector, good shin guards and a light mask. I say the light mask because a heavy one will be killing your neck by the end of some of those youth league games where anything that can go wrong will go wrong. A great place to see really weird plays happen.

Posted

Let me clarify my previous post - if you have $500 to drop before you start calling, by all means buy top of the line head to toe - Force 3 socks and all!  

 

I'm just saying I didn't have (I'll be conservative here) - 

$100 for a top shelf CP

$100 for top shelf shins

$75 for a good mask

$75 for plate shoes

 

$10 ump hat

$20 polo

$40 for pants (that's if you get combos and not plate/field pants)

$20 ump belt 

$20 accessories - plate brush, clicker, ball bag(s)

 

What's it cost to have most of that shipped? $50? 

 

If you're just starting out, that's at least 3 weeks worth of game fees just to cover your start-up costs.  If the OP is anything like me, he might have to cut some spots just to get his feet wet.

 

I started out almost a year ago doing 10U using DUN DUN DUUUUUNNN....Diamond IX3 CP and Diamond Featherweight w stock pads and no plate shoes.  I had cheap dress pants from JC Pennys, Rawlings polo from Academy and the "package" deal on ball bag, brush, and indi. I got started for maybe $150.

 

1st thing I bought was apparel so I didn't look like a hobo. 

 

Equipment wise, I upgraded to plate shoes first - found a good deal on NB plates.  I Found a really ratty Wilson Charcoal for $25, that I'll sell to someone around my area for $25, and eventually upgraded to a Douglas. I'm now looking for my ideal back-up CP - but it took a while. I then got to grab some Team Wendy pads for my frame. I now keep a back-up mask that's also outfitted with TW pads.  I wouldn't use another mask...but I can afford that luxury now, not then.

 

All I'm saying is it's easy to look in your bag and see your WVG, TI masks, WV shins, Zig plate shoes, ect. and say that you should never call a game with inferior equipment, but sometimes you play the hand your dealt. 

 

I'm sure I'll get slaughtered for this, but that's just how I HAD to get started.  I made it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.  

Posted

Don't go cheap. If you must wait to ump to get good gear then do that. You can get cheap uniforms to start but equipment keeps you from getting hurt. Listen to the umps on this site and this thread. They are giving you good advice. And don't go on the field with out plate shoes, even if you go to KMart and buy steel toe (black) work boots. a broken toe is no fun.

Posted

Pay for the best gear up front.  The cost hurts a bit, but you'll recoup all of the costs in your first year plus profit.  

 

Don't cheap out on gear.

 

If you can't afford to get the best gear brand new, then find the best gear used.

 

This site is a start.

 

Plus, if you decide umpiring isn't your cup of tea, you can sell most of it to other umpires and get a much better return, both dollar- and percentage-wise, that you would with the cheaper gear.

Posted

Pay for the best gear up front.  The cost hurts a bit, but you'll recoup all of the costs in your first year plus profit.  

 

Don't cheap out on gear.

 

If you can't afford to get the best gear brand new, then find the best gear used.

 

This site is a start.

 

Plus, if you decide umpiring isn't your cup of tea, you can sell most of it to other umpires and get a much better return, both dollar- and percentage-wise, that you would with the cheaper gear.

 

Excellent point - when I sold my initial equipment (the non-top line stuff at least) to upgrade, I got very little in return for it even though most of it had not been used heavily.

 

To be clear, the place to really invest is in a good hardshell chest protector and some form of plate shoes (and a cup).  As long as shin guards fit and cover you properly, just about anything will do to start off.  I'll also repeat my recommendation for Team Wendy's mask pads - a cheap mask more often than not has poor padding and a used mask has, well, used padding.  This is $40 well spent.

Posted

Let me post links to some of the equipment I have found... Let me know if it is a good price and decent equipment... The reason I said cheap was not that I wanted the absolute cheapest, but cheapest of something pretty good.

I worry about buying umpiring equipment online too though because I am unsure of sizes. I am right at 6' and 215. I am not really big or anything... Most people don't think I am that size. My pant size is 36-34. I wear XL shirts.

 

Chest protector: http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Sports-Umpire-Protector-17-Inch/dp/B0029VSPHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364305041&sr=8-1&keywords=umpire+chest+protector

 

Mask: http://www.amazon.com/Champro-ADULT-Umpire-Mask-27oz/dp/B003WY9B4C/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1364307241&sr=1-3&keywords=umpire+mask

 

Shin Guards: http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Sports-Umpire-Single-Shinguard/dp/B0029VJOFK/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1364307462&sr=1-3&keywords=shin+guards+umpire

 

Plate Shoes (These say plate shoes but not sure from pic): http://www.amazon.com/3N2-Reaction-Umpire-Plate-Black/dp/B0056QHHKO/ref=sr_1_2_m?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1364307916&sr=1-2&keywords=umpire+plate+shoes

 

 

 

This is just what I found on Amazon. 

 

How do I know sizes that will fit?

 

I messaged the head umpire of the league because I don't even know what color shirt or pants exactly... It is Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken ball.

Posted

http://www.amazon.com/MacGregor-Umpire-Pack-1/dp/B000X34LUO/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1364306965&sr=1-3&keywords=umpire+mask

 

I also found this...  I know the chest protector isnt great but is it worth buying this and a chest protector to sale the one that came with this?

Posted

http://www.amazon.com/MacGregor-Umpire-Pack-1/dp/B000X34LUO/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1364306965&sr=1-3&keywords=umpire+mask

 

I also found this...  I know the chest protector isnt great but is it worth buying this and a chest protector to sale the one that came with this?

 

Stay away from this garbage.  That is not even a proper ball bag.  And I believe Kylejt was messed up wearing a MacGreggor CP, not sure if it was that particular one but pretty sure it was a soft shell ribbed CP from them.  You will have a real hard time finding a buyer for it.

 

 As stated above, the Champion P2xx is great protection at a great value.  Shop around for it.  You could easily get one for $35 to $40. If you want to save on a mask, try finding just a frame and harness as you will want to replace the pads with Team Wendys.  Great price on plate shoes here http://www.myshoespot.com/c-24-mens-shoes.aspx?searchterm=-Reebok Field Magistrate.

Posted

Let me post links to some of the equipment I have found... Let me know if it is a good price and decent equipment... The reason I said cheap was not that I wanted the absolute cheapest, but cheapest of something pretty good.

I worry about buying umpiring equipment online too though because I am unsure of sizes. I am right at 6' and 215. I am not really big or anything... Most people don't think I am that size. My pant size is 36-34. I wear XL shirts.

 

Chest protector: http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Sports-Umpire-Protector-17-Inch/dp/B0029VSPHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364305041&sr=8-1&keywords=umpire+chest+protector

 

Mask: http://www.amazon.com/Champro-ADULT-Umpire-Mask-27oz/dp/B003WY9B4C/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1364307241&sr=1-3&keywords=umpire+mask

 

Shin Guards: http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Sports-Umpire-Single-Shinguard/dp/B0029VJOFK/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1364307462&sr=1-3&keywords=shin+guards+umpire

 

Plate Shoes (These say plate shoes but not sure from pic): http://www.amazon.com/3N2-Reaction-Umpire-Plate-Black/dp/B0056QHHKO/ref=sr_1_2_m?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1364307916&sr=1-2&keywords=umpire+plate+shoes

 

 

 

This is just what I found on Amazon. 

 

How do I know sizes that will fit?

 

I messaged the head umpire of the league because I don't even know what color shirt or pants exactly... It is Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken ball.

The picture is not a plate shoe.

Posted

I just went through this very process last summer and read the same advice that you've gotten previous posts.  I did tons of research, read several forums, read reviews on equipment etc.  I came to terms with the upfront costs because I know eventually the equipment will pay for itself both figuratively and financially.  I looked for the very best prices I could find online for all my equipment and uniforms.  Ebay, ump-attire, craiglist, amazon....you name it, I tried to find the best price.  I ended up spending $680 in gear and uniforms.  Keep in mind that I'm umpiring both softball and baseball so I had to buy two different colored shirts so that added a little bit to the cost.  I could have saved money on the CP, and Mask, but I decided to not skimp in these areas and I tend to be a "get what you pay for" kind of guy.  The uniforms, accessories and shoes add up very quickly .  If you're diligent on eBay there are deals to be had.  Here's what I ended up buying:

 

NB Plate shoes (eBay)

Adidas base shoes (Dick's sporting)

Diamond Shin Guards (eBay)

All Star System 7 hardshell CP (ump-attire)

Old soft-shell CP (Craigslist)  **Use this only for low-level, young aged softball** (I literally paid $10 for it)

All Star Mask FM2000 (baseball plus online store)

Accessories (ball bag, belt, indicator, brush, scorecard holder cup etc.) (ump attire)

Easton equipment bag (eBay)

4 Shirts (eBay)

1 pair of combo pants (purchase officials)

Cold weather under garments (local big box store)

Posted

Purchase Officials is selling Smitty shirts on ebay under the name diner30. Last I checked, they ran about $22 a piece including shipping. I have purchased from them several times and these are my favorite shirts, even over the much lauded Ultimate Officials shirts from Ump Attire. Check their other auctions for good prices on new gear.

×
×
  • Create New...