Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5085 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Since this is the land of opinion, I think it is a dumb idea.

why?? i think its kinda cool. its better than some of the other things the nfl did with refs this yr

Posted

October is Bra month! All about Breast support! What ever saves the boobies, I am all for! ( . ) ( , )

If there's data to support that pink penalty flags save lives, then I'm for it. I won't hold my breath.

Posted

I can't even say how sick I am of this pink campaign. The NFL markets all this merchandise and gives 5% of profits to breast cancer research - yes - 5%.

Posted

I can't even say how sick I am of this pink campaign. The NFL markets all this merchandise and gives 5% of profits to breast cancer research - yes - 5%.

Not a great percentage but when you consider all the money the NFL makes 5% adds up.

Posted

I can't even say how sick I am of this pink campaign. The NFL markets all this merchandise and gives 5% of profits to breast cancer research - yes - 5%.

Not a great percentage but when you consider all the money the NFL makes 5% adds up.

Still think they could be a bit more generous since they are basically printing money over there, but who am I to say that the 5% is too little.

Posted

I saw this on GMA today. Neet idea coming from an 11 y/o. I do think the Pink thing is over done, but have nothing against it. And if people want to do something that they feel helps then go for it. Hell I bought a pink muffin for $5 at the beginning of the month at a bake sale supporting the Komen foundation. It tasted worse than sh1t and normally I would have requested a refund, but since it was for a cause I just went on my merry way.

I did intend on sharing this story with my 11 y/o daughter to show her that an 11 y/o kid can make a difference.

Posted

I can't even say how sick I am of this pink campaign. The NFL markets all this merchandise and gives 5% of profits to breast cancer research - yes - 5%.

Not a great percentage but when you consider all the money the NFL makes 5% adds up.

Of course, it's hard to separate vague "awareness" campaigns that look a lot like merchandise marketing with actual contributions that go to tangible support...

http://www.businessi...-cancer-2012-10

Posted

Of course, it's hard to separate vague "awareness" campaigns that look a lot like merchandise marketing with actual contributions that go to tangible support...

http://www.businessi...-cancer-2012-10

I think they call it "cause" marketing...and like I said, I'm not convinced that pink penalty flags are saving lives. People are becoming millionaires off of other peoples' tragedies. When did this become okay? Last I checked we still have a homeless problem, we still have families going hungry, yet we think it's cool to have our officials throwing pink penalty flags is somehow going to help cure cancer. :shrug: When Komen files suit against other charities b/c of trademark infringement, (ie "they're stealing our cancer money") I think the idea has run its course. We are plenty aware, there's no need to raise awareness...we get it.

Posted

Whatever happened to fire prevention month?

Larry Sansevere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted

Whatever happened to fire prevention month?

Larry Sansevere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The challenge flag.

  • Like 2
Posted

That's like the Livestrong bracelets, they were fine but then you blue for this, red for that, green for another. The problem is overexposure creates lack of interest.

Posted

Honigs and UA must love it when the NFL and NCAA initiate these types of things...

I had a partner in a youth football game who wore a pink lanyard and whistle. It isn't like anyone outside the other officials and possibly a coach or player noticed and thought nothing of, but he wore it probably because of the NFL refs doing the same thing.

Another non-cause example: The NCAA this year made black bean bags legal for refs. All of a sudden these things are flying off the shelf... Are black bean bags any better than white or blue bean bags? Nope. They are possibly worse because you can't clearly see them as well. But the college refs use them so they must be good.

I'm sure in the next year or two I'll see a pink flag get thrown by a partner of mine.


×
×
  • Create New...