Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5320 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I got a late assignment yesterday by my high school assignor to take his place at a JV game and observe a young umpire to see if he's ready to move up.

He's a college student working as an umpire trying to move up to high school this season. He seemed like a nice kid, asking all the right questions, eager to learn. He was into being early, looking sharp and doing a solid pre-game. He knew all the signs, and had the right answers on all the rotations and common mechanics.

But it was something he did when he got ready at the car that made my jaw drop. He pulled on a Riddell Power CP and a friggin' Nike mask! Good Lord, a new guy doing a JV eval game and he's out there looking like a pro.

Nikemask-1.jpg

I was so impressed that I totally overlooked his Official's Choice jacket.

Posted

I got a late assignment yesterday by my high school assignor to take his place at a JV game and observe a young umpire to see if he's ready to move up.

He's a college student working as an umpire trying to move up to high school this season. He seemed like a nice kid, asking all the right questions, eager to learn. He was into being early, looking sharp and doing a solid pre-game. He knew all the signs, and had the right answers on all the rotations and common mechanics.

But it was something he did when he got ready at the car that made my jaw drop. He pulled on a Riddell Power CP and a friggin' Nike mask! Good Lord, a new guy doing a JV eval game and he's out there looking like a pro.

I was so impressed that I totally overlooked his Official's Choice jacket.

LMAO !!!! Nice!

Posted

At least he knew enough to unzip that jacket, and expose the POWER.

(somewhere, there's a MLB umpire in a ditch, wondering "what happened?")

p.s. kidding aside, that's cool. Good for him.

Posted

Kevin just likes him because he's a nascent gear junkie that Kevin can lure into his web of never-ending gear acquisition! :wave:

JM

That's funny that you mentioned that. Before he left, I gave him a list of five things to work on, and a list of suggestions for his next five gear purchases.

Did you ask him where he got his gear? And was the mask the Titanium w/the Nike pads?

He said he got it all on ebay. And it was the genuine Nike. It was nice. He let me use it to give him a lengthy demonstration of how to remove and replace it.

Posted

Did you ask him where he got his gear? And was the mask the Titanium w/the Nike pads?

It's a Nike. You can tell by the ear guards on the side of the mask.

Posted

Kfinn

you did give him the URL of this site didnt you....??? thats the kind of young man we need to snag early........

Posted

Stan, I'll bring him here to the Umpire Empire after I ... let's see, how should I word this ... after I get him out of that cheap uniform and ... no, that sounds way wrong.

Uh, I'll bring him here after I dress him properly in a black Majestic with a ... no, that sounds like a Bravo Channel guy if I ever heard one.

I'll bring him here after I send him an e-mail with some links to Ump Attire and Honig's, while listing the uniform standards and what to buy to look right while he's sporting that premier gear that he owns.

Yeah, that's better.

Posted

He said to me, "I think you should buy the best you can find the first time, even if it's used. You can find some good stuff on ebay."

I started to cry.

:spit: :spit: :spit: ....

dammit Kevin!!

Posted

I wish I had learned the lesson earlier...for a few different endeavors!

I'm making it my mission when building my kit FO do it right this time and be the best dressed umpire in the training class next January. :Cool2:

Posted

I've seen much worse uniform choices than an OC jacket. They aren't my first choice by any means, but it isn't that big of a deal.

Posted

Stan, I'll bring him here to the Umpire Empire after I ... let's see, how should I word this ... after I get him out of that cheap uniform and ... no, that sounds way wrong.

Uh, I'll bring him here after I dress him properly in a black Majestic with a ... no, that sounds like a Bravo Channel guy if I ever heard one.

I'll bring him here after I send him an e-mail with some links to Ump Attire and Honig's, while listing the uniform standards and what to buy to look right while he's sporting that premier gear that he owns.

Yeah, that's better.

Solid post as usual Kev

Did you inform him he will gain more street cred on this forum if he sports the leg guards outside his pants witha backwards cap and eye black?

Posted

My question is when was a power and ebay and we didn't know about it!

How indeed? I really would like to get my hands on one of those. I already own a Gold, a Douglas and an All-Star. That would complete the set.

Posted

Some people really get all hooked up into what equipment we wear. You would kill me for wearing old school Lobster Shins I am guessing. Still the best guard EVER made and will not give them up until they rust to death.

Posted

He said to me, "I think you should buy the best you can find the first time, even if it's used. You can find some good stuff on ebay."

I started to cry.

im getting a little misty myself.......

Posted

But seriously though... where did this newbie get a Riddell Power?!?

More than likely it was handed down to him and he didn't realize what he had until afterward, but, KFINN can find out for sure! :)

Posted

I got a late assignment yesterday by my high school assignor to take his place at a JV game and observe a young umpire to see if he's ready to move up.

He's a college student working as an umpire trying to move up to high school this season. He seemed like a nice kid, asking all the right questions, eager to learn. He was into being early, looking sharp and doing a solid pre-game. He knew all the signs, and had the right answers on all the rotations and common mechanics.

But it was something he did when he got ready at the car that made my jaw drop. He pulled on a Riddell Power CP and a friggin' Nike mask! Good Lord, a new guy doing a JV eval game and he's out there looking like a pro.

Nikemask-1.jpg

I was so impressed that I totally overlooked his Official's Choice jacket.

Damn....Guess I suck as a umpire since all 3 of my jackets are Official's Choice.

Come to think about it, so are most of my shirts.

Big question is could he umpire?

The best gear in the world doesn't make someone a umpire.

Posted

Nor do the worst shirts and jackets (and slacks) in the industry necessarily mean one is any less of an umpire by wearing them.

(For good reason, I have a profound personal dislike of everything that is Official's Choice.)

This kid is a good umpire--very good for only his second year. He has promise. So he deserves to know that he shouldn't wear Official's Choice shirts and jackets and Gerry Davis slacks when it's time to move up. That's just the way it is. I didn't cause it to be that way, Official's Choice did by having products that don't match the industry standard in style and color.

And I'll get the story of exactly how he came upon the Riddell. He alluded to ebay and I am certain that's where he got the Nike mask.

Posted

(For good reason, I have a profound personal dislike of everything that is Official's Choice.)

I kinda like their charcoal slacks! :fuel:

×
×
  • Create New...