UA Poly Wool Pants...

Chris Hickman
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4461 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Yesterday, I went to Ump-Attire and I pulled the trigger on the Majestic Therma Base full-zip with the white stripes. And I was this close to pulling the trigger on a pair of the UA polywool plates:

I gotta ask what kept you from doing it????

I would be getting the 34s, which I won't wear until summer, and I already have three Honig's plates. I wouldn't buy base pants with the expanders.

I saw the pic and thought the guy was wearing base pants in his gear.

Those are actually the OC plate slacks. I took the picture to convince the guy---an outstanding umpire, who just got picked up by a D-II conference--never to wear that ridiculous brand of slacks ever again. The picture did the trick. He agreed to give them away.

To this day, he's still looking for a rookie umpire with skinny enough legs.

Got mine today along with my Majestic Therma-Base black with white stripes jacket from U-A. Also had a Majestic MLB blue shoulder striped Therma-Base delivered from Honig's ($20 certificate from CBUA/NCAA-Had to buy something).

I am fortunate to have to have gone down to a Size 32- base and plate. Sweeeeeeet. It will be great to wear pants that don't make me look like I'm wearing my dad's pants since I lost over 4 inches of waist in Ass-crack-istan.

Been lucky/disciplined enough in my eating/exercising habits to have kept it off since May when I returned. I may even be even thinner than when I returned. God has truly blessed me with good health and good fortune.

If you need inches loss advice/help-PM me. I won't bore everyone with my diet and exercise story.

(BTW, I actually gained weight but lost inches where I wanted to)

If anyone wants it, I will share what worked for me. It is mostly discipline at the dinner table and in the exercise regimen but I have some tips that will work for anyone. Again, without self-discipline on carbs, fats and sugars, forget it. Stay fluffy and don't waste your time.

My two cents........

Dave Teater

KC MO

When my daughter got home from school today I got a phone call from her at work. "Daddy there is an umpire box here for you." Which I wish she hadn't because it made the rest of my of my day go super slow. Then when I got home I had to inhale some dinner and go to the gym. So I didn't even get to open the box until almost 10:00.

So I pull the poly-wools out of the box and try them on and I really liked them. The expander waistband is very well done and is not noticeable at all. I have dress slacks w/ the expander waistband which are not done as well. So far I'm very impressed. I will write a review once I get them back from my seamstress.

But that U-A box waiting for me at home made my itch for the start of the season even worse.

I just took my first pairs of Polywools to the tailor. I had bought some from Honigs during the black Friday sale, but they ran small compared to the Smitty and Gerry Davis pants that I have been wearing the past three seasons. I decided that I really like the expandable waist option, so I sent the Honigs pants back for a full refund and ordered some from UA. I am really happy with the fit...purchased the same size as I did in the Honigs PWs.

I guess I am just used to wearing umpire pants that have an expandable waist. When I called a while back I always wore the +POS or Honigs pants that had a regular waist, but since getting back in (this is HS season number 4 after a five year layoff (year 12 of HS ball alltogether)) all I have know is pants with a waist that has some give.

The feel of the UA Polywools is amazing. I can't wait to wear them in a game. I have a couple of scrimmages coming up on some nice fields next week so I can break them. If I like them as much as I think I will I can see adding more pairs and slowly phasing out the GD and Smitty pants that I have been wearing.

I just took my first pairs of Polywools to the tailor. I had bought some from Honigs during the black Friday sale, but they ran small compared to the Smitty and Gerry Davis pants that I have been wearing the past three seasons. I decided that I really like the expandable waist option, so I sent the Honigs pants back for a full refund and ordered some from UA. I am really happy with the fit...purchased the same size as I did in the Honigs PWs.

I guess I am just used to wearing umpire pants that have an expandable waist. When I called a while back I always wore the +POS or Honigs pants that had a regular waist, but since getting back in (this is HS season number 4 after a five year layoff (year 12 of HS ball alltogether)) all I have know is pants with a waist that has some give.

The feel of the UA Polywools is amazing. I can't wait to wear them in a game. I have a couple of scrimmages coming up on some nice fields next week so I can break them. If I like them as much as I think I will I can see adding more pairs and slowly phasing out the GD and Smitty pants that I have been wearing.

Slo,

Do the UA's match the Honig's PW's ???

The UA PW pant is THE EXACT SAME fabric from the same manufacturer as the Honig's PW pant manufacturer.

It really boils down to

a) price

B) waist style-flex versus non-flex/traditional

c) supplier loyalty-IF you consider that sort of thing.

My two cents..........

DCT

I'm not sure but I think I heard somewhere, oh yes, from me, and MidWest Ump Blog and Jim Kirk and Brandon Cooper and ....... that they are the same.............. Maybe we're all lying through our teeth! (grin)

We have way too much time on our hands here. Come on season, opening day is not soon enough for me.

DCT

The MLB slacks, Honig's and UA are all made by Hardwicks in Tennessee. The material is ALL the same. The MLB pant has white canvas pockets and each ump has their own custom pattern for short rise, long rise etc. Honigs and UA have black pockets and UA have expanders. That's it!! You have the skinny from the gear king who is in the know .....