UA Poly Wool Pants...

Chris Hickman
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4461 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Here is a potential issue... Just got Purchase Officials catalog today. Smitty is making a poly-wool pant with an expander in the waist...$54 for plate/combo/base. My question is are the UA pants made by Smitty? If they are I will not be purchasing them. Nothing to do with quality of the pants...it is soley based on fit. I don't like the way Smitty pants fit me or lack thereof...

One of the most interesting points was made by Semper Fi Guy, who stated that he has one of those in-between sizes that no brand accommodates (33, I believe). So with the waist expanders, he orders, say, a 32, and they work for him. I am a 34-35, and I usually wear a 36, because I wear compression shorts and leggings, and during the winter months, two undershirts. My "summer" plate slacks are a 34, but the others are all 36. If they made a 35, I would be all over them. So maybe a 34 in the UA polys is the right thing for me.

Or, perhaps I could eat fewer meals at restaurants with my umpire buddies, and instead eat more of my wife's cooking, so that I lose eight or nine pounds, and become a true 34. I don't know if it's worth it.

• Like 1

Had a chance to see the UA poly wools and the smitty poly wools up close and personal at this weekends NCAA clinic. The ump attire poly wools and the Honig's match perfectly as I expected since they are made by the same manufacture. They are certainly high quality. If the expander waist option is your thing, I say go for the UA pants. The expander feature is very well made and worth the few dollars extra.

As far as the smitty poly wools, I would stay away. They don't match the UA or Honig's.