Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5415 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I recently read where Ump-Attire conducted a poll for a longer Platinum for 2012. No sooner had I got off the phone with them I finally received a reply from Wilson. The very nice rep at Ump-Attire said that she hadn't heard anything yet. I then opened Wilson's reply to my inquiry and they were very polite but matter a fact. "There will be no changes to our line in 2012 and doubtful for 2013 but that could change". Well, that's it in a nutshell. If you were holding out for a longer Platinum don't bother. Too bad. I was definitely going to buy it if it was available this year because my current one is starting to show it's age.

  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I recently read where Ump-Attire conducted a poll for a longer Platinum for 2012. No sooner had I got off the phone with them I finally received a reply from Wilson. The very nice rep at Ump-Attire said that she hadn't heard anything yet. I then opened Wilson's reply to my inquiry and they were very polite but matter a fact. "There will be no changes to our line in 2012 and doubtful for 2013 but that could change". Well, that's it in a nutshell. If you were holding out for a longer Platinum don't bother. Too bad. I was definitely going to buy it if it was available this year because my current one is starting to show it's age.

Do you really think a longer Platinum is right? If it made a difference wouldn't the guys in MLB be wearing it?

I ask the question in all sincerity...please educate me on why umpires believe they need a longer CP?

Posted

I recently read where Ump-Attire conducted a poll for a longer Platinum for 2012.  No sooner had I got off the phone with them I finally received a reply from Wilson.  The very nice rep at Ump-Attire said that she hadn't heard anything yet.  I then opened Wilson's reply to my inquiry and they were very polite but matter a fact.  "There will be no changes to our line in 2012 and doubtful for 2013 but that could change".  Well, that's it in a nutshell.  If you were holding out for a longer Platinum don't bother.  Too bad.  I was definitely going to buy it if it was available this year because my current one is starting to show it's age.

Do you really think a longer Platinum is right?  If it made a difference wouldn't the guys in MLB be wearing it?

I ask the question in all sincerity...please educate me on why umpires believe they need a longer CP?

I believe that the Platinum actually shrunk over the years.  I think that it was originally 13.5" in length but is now 12" (the same as the Gold).  Jim Kirk has done a lot of work in measuring the various Wilson models.  I don't worry too much about a ball to the belly.  Gives a purpose to the 3 sets x 1 reps of crunches that i do!!!! I am more concerned about my ribs. http://umpattire.blogspot.com/2011/01/not-what-you-think-lengths-of-wilson.html

Posted

I recently read where Ump-Attire conducted a poll for a longer Platinum for 2012. No sooner had I got off the phone with them I finally received a reply from Wilson. The very nice rep at Ump-Attire said that she hadn't heard anything yet. I then opened Wilson's reply to my inquiry and they were very polite but matter a fact. "There will be no changes to our line in 2012 and doubtful for 2013 but that could change". Well, that's it in a nutshell. If you were holding out for a longer Platinum don't bother. Too bad. I was definitely going to buy it if it was available this year because my current one is starting to show it's age.

Do you really think a longer Platinum is right? If it made a difference wouldn't the guys in MLB be wearing it?

I ask the question in all sincerity...please educate me on why umpires believe they need a longer CP?

the reason we need longer chest protector is for protection of our ribs and ab area....today i notice alot of umpires are short..in my estimation there are more amateur umpires under 5-10 than there are umpires 6ft or taller...in the late 80s and early 90s when POS was the number one supplier of umpire equipment they had chest protectors 10, 12, 13.5, 15 and 16.5inches.. some of us umpires have long torsos and need the extra protection...i am 6-1 and have an inseam barely 30inches..i wear a 14inch chest protector and it is short ..i would prefer one 15 inches minimum but realistically would buy a 16 or 16.5 inch protector....look at the major league umpires today....from the info i got from the internet the avg height of major league umpire in 2010 was 5-11 whearas 20 years ago it was almost 6-1

'minimum

Posted

I ask the question in all sincerity...please educate me on why umpires believe they need a longer CP?

You've never had a broken rib, or you would have never asked that question.

Everybody is built differently(some more differently than others), and has a different plate stance. If your CP gives you perfect coverage, congrats! That's not the case with everyone, .

Posted

The reason I would like one longer than 12" is...12" does not cover all of my sternum. As said earlier, not worried about a belly shot...soft as a pillow! Bones are the issue...

Posted

I have taken two rather high velocity shots to the abdomen three weeks apart this fall. They're the only two shots I've taken in two-plus years. I am not willing to deal with the discomfort and continual readjusting of a long CP for something that happens so seldom.

I guess there should be a longer Gold or Platinum for the unusually long torso guys, but for most of us, the regular L/XL Gold or similar length CP is sufficient.

Posted

I have taken two rather high velocity shots to the abdomen three weeks apart this fall. They're the only two shots I've taken in two-plus years. I am not willing to deal with the discomfort and continual readjusting of a long CP for something that happens so seldom.

I guess there should be a longer Gold or Platinum for the unusually long torso guys, but for most of us, the regular L/XL Gold or similar length CP is sufficient.

Kev, not necessarily directed at YOU, or your comment, but it reminds me of something ....

First of all, your comment about getting hit only 2x is valid, ... but....

I'm 5'11" 225, .. 46 regular suit, with a 17.5" neck. I'm rocking a new 15" All-Star. Now, the new All-Star CP sits nice and high in the neck area, so don't imagine 15" as being as long as you think. No discomfort, and never an adjustment on this baby. It's there, it's not moving, and it's comfy!

And, actually, ....my 15" Douglas (which actually only measures 14.5) needs very little adjusting, but some none the less, but it has nothing to do with it's length. A new All-Star Delta Flex harness will stop my adjustments for sure.

Guys who's last row of ribs aren't covered, and don't feel comfortable being exposed ... AND ...who will work lower level ball in the early part of the season ....will find piece of mind in the longer CP.

It's a personal / individual thing...

Just my :2cents: ....:Cool2:

Posted

To each his own, I guess. I have a WV Gold (15"), a +POS BB2000 (15"), and a Douglas (14").

But the CP I use the most is a V-Sport hard shell (17") that I picked up for a song and a dance from Steve Meyers (San Diego Steve).

I love the V-Sport with the extra length. It definitely fits me the best of the four I own.

Tim.

Posted

I then opened Wilson's reply to my inquiry and they were very polite but matter a fact. "There will be no changes to our line in 2012 and doubtful for 2013 but that could change". Well, that's it in a nutshell. If you were holding out for a longer Platinum don't bother.

The mention about a longer CP was an exclusive offer from Wilson that is still in the works but not part of their line offered to all vendors. I'm not surprised you may have heard that from a Wilson rep as this is something in the works at the product manager level. I do need to provide am update time wise on this for you and will do so as soon as I can.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jim Kirk

Posted

I recently read where Ump-Attire conducted a poll for a longer Platinum for 2012. No sooner had I got off the phone with them I finally received a reply from Wilson. The very nice rep at Ump-Attire said that she hadn't heard anything yet. I then opened Wilson's reply to my inquiry and they were very polite but matter a fact. "There will be no changes to our line in 2012 and doubtful for 2013 but that could change". Well, that's it in a nutshell. If you were holding out for a longer Platinum don't bother. Too bad. I was definitely going to buy it if it was available this year because my current one is starting to show it's age.

Do you really think a longer Platinum is right? If it made a difference wouldn't the guys in MLB be wearing it?

I ask the question in all sincerity...please educate me on why umpires believe they need a longer CP?

I stand 6ft tall and have barely a 29 inch inseam. I understand that is probably not the norm. I also tend to bend more at the knees and keep my back straight in my plate stance. I am paid to umpire a game to the best of my ability. Exposing myself to unnecessary shots to the "belly" just because I want to be a tough guy sounds silly to me. NO offense to anyone who wants to tough it out, or feels like there plenty of padding there, or spends a hour a day doing crunches, but if I take a shot there or on my lowest rib, even if they give me 5 minutes walk it off, its going to affect my performance behind the plate.( not to mention holding up the game while I "recover." That being said, more power to the guys who want the smaller chest protectors, but I am glad there are manufacturers out there like All Star and Champro who make long torso protectors. Do lower level 14's and 15's and you quickly understand that there a a lot of catchers out there who are unable to smother a ball that hits just in front of the plate on the inside corner and bounces up into your ribs or your belly. Especially on a lot of lower league fields ( or equivalent ) where the dirt circle is more like a sandbox. Not to mention the coaches who teach those catchers to set up outside the plate and have to reach inside just to catch a pitch on the inner half of the plate so that the umpire "can get a better look." Ridiculous. Have been seeing that more and more the last 2 years. When I do varisty travel ball, or college, I go to a smaller protector, as I know the kid in front of me has some skill.

Thats why I ask for a longer protector.

Posted

Everybody is built differently, thus require different gear.

Some feel comfortable exposing certain parts, and others do not. Do what makes you feel comfortable. Hell, use a raft if you want, I couldn't care less. Confidence in your protection is very important out there.

Don't base your decisions on what MLB guys do. Sure, they see the fastest pitching out there, but you see such a range of gear usage and stances, one guy is not going to sway me in my choices. I've seen some pretty dumb choices on TV. Do what's best for you. I've run across a few MLB guys over the years. And yes, I work with rocket scientists. The twain shall never meet, trust me. Oh, and MLB umpires have MLB catchers and pitchers working in front of them.

Experience is the best teacher of all. And any time someone says "I've never been hit in the (insert body part here)" I know right away they're a rookie. And yeah, rookies can work work 20+ years, and still be a noob. There are things you just don't say. Like, 'Gee, this game is really moving along" in the fifth inning.

In my usual stance, with my standard Platinum, my last rib is uncovered. But my left arm is across my body, with my open hand resting on the far side. I'm covered. I'm fortunate enough not to have a belly. I've taken shots to the stomach, and it's no more painful the ones to the arm or upper thighs. Those come with the territory, in my book. But again, if you feel the need for protection down to your belt buckle, that's cool.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I received an update from Wilson's product manager yesterday. There will be a prototype available within the next few weeks after a trip to China of the Wilson Platinum Umpire Chest Protector in a 15". Timing wise, the earliest possible time if all works out just right is looking at late February/early March. I'll try to keep you posted if something changes.

Anything else you're curious about?

Posted

Jim, why the double speak on a longer version? Did Wilson have to be talked into making it longer? Timing could not be worse for a longer one to hit the market. Most gear purchases are already done when this guy hits....

My $.02....YMMV

Posted

Maybe they saw the All Star, and thought they had to respond.

Now, what they should do is improve the backing, change it to black, get rid of the dopey pillow in the middle, drop the front buckles, and make it out of carbon fiber. Then they might be able to retain market share.

Posted

Anything else you're curious about?

Anything else related to the Wilson, or just in general?

If it's in general, any update on the UA pants? I'm getting ready to buy for the spring and I'd like to buy a couple of pairs, but I need them by late January/early February. Are yours going to be ready?

Posted

To each his own, I guess. I have a WV Gold (15"), a +POS BB2000 (15"), and a Douglas (14").

But the CP I use the most is a V-Sport hard shell (17") that I picked up for a song and a dance from Steve Meyers (San Diego Steve).

I love the V-Sport with the extra length. It definitely fits me the best of the four I own.

Tim.

I didn't know Wilson made a 15" WV Gold.

Posted

i too have the v sport in 17inch..the protection is unreal.. and i only paid 45 bucks for it..best protector ont he market for the money.. i dont wear all the time cause i sweat like crazy whether its hot or cold..i wear the new honigs 14 inch k 1 with two inch extension..i too am like some guys..6-1 and barely 30 inseam.. my wislon 12 inch plantinum was worn three times buy me..i got in the ribs and was out of action for two weeks...for us guys with long torsos we need 15inch+ chest protectors

Posted

To each his own, I guess. I have a WV Gold (15"), a +POS BB2000 (15"), and a Douglas (14").

But the CP I use the most is a V-Sport hard shell (17") that I picked up for a song and a dance from Steve Meyers (San Diego Steve).

I love the V-Sport with the extra length. It definitely fits me the best of the four I own.

Tim.

I didn't know Wilson made a 15" WV Gold.

They don't .....

Posted

Among my prized collection of back-up CPs, I have the original West Vest by Wilson. It's the one that they made when they first took it over from Douglas. It has a similar design to the Douglas, and sports a removable sternum plate. It's about 15 inches long.

So it's not a Gold, but it's a Wilson West Vest.

Posted

That's today's model of the one I described, yes.

I like it for lower-level stuff. It's a little bulky, but otherwise, it seems like a good rig for most of us. The one thing that the new one has that mine does not is the gap coverage on the shoulder/clavicle area. That's a huge plus.

It comes apart easily, and all of the plates are adjustable, but I could see how the Velcro would wear out the spots on the pad if it gets disassembled too often. I bought it used, and I have only used it a few times. I alternate it with the Douglas, which is what it compares to to most closely, but I prefer the sleeker profile of the Douglas.

But if I were making the choice right now, I would look long and hard at the All-Star. That thing looks sleek, form-fitting and very protective.

Posted

I know a guy who uses the 3209 for HS up thru DII college and likes it. He is a much smaller guy than me. I like the All Star and will probably go that way...just waiting for more retailers to bring on-line...maybe one is close enough to me so I can try one on.

Posted

The two guys I know who wear one are both sporting the older model like mine, and both do up to D-III and JUCO. I would trust it if I didn't own a Gold. But I use Gold when I have the bigger boys throwing.


×
×
  • Create New...