Just Curious

jkumpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4566 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

For vets and young umpires alike:

What is it you are spending your time in the off-season working on, other than certain certain SoCal guys working on their photo journalism skills? :angel4:

For vets and young umpires alike:

What is it you are spending your time in the off-season working on, other than certain certain SoCal guys working on their photo journalism skills? :angel4:

I picked up the WUM and will probably pick up another book and really fine tune my rules knowledge and try to hit a camp/clinic

I will be reading Maximizing the Two-Man System, Jaksa/Roder, and the Wendelstedt Rule Interpretation manuals...and, of course, my two rule books...OBR and NFHS. I will also be going to our local umpire camp...Southeast Michigan Umpire Camp...semuc.com in February. Post-season next year I'm planning on heading down to Kissimmee to JEAPU's camp between Christmas and New Years Day.

Since I'm in SoCal, there really is no off season (I am doing more games now than in the Spring), but there are some things in my plans:

1. 1 day MLB camp in Compton on Nov 5th

2. 2.5 Day IBOA Clinic on Nov 18-20

3. My high school unit's clinic in Feb

This will be my second year in the high school unit, and will move from Freshman games to JV and hopefully some small school Varsity as well. All games below Varsity are solo, so I am working as much two man as I can right now in tournaments to get experience. I want to shore up some of my base footwork, keeping a better eye out for type B obstruction, and work on never losing focus. At the plate, I am trying to work on tracking all the way to the glove on every pitch - even obvious balls - so that it's more second nature. I also am constantly working on game management, time between innings, and dealing with difficult coaches.

I read some form of rules (WUM, BRD, rule and case books) most every day. All the games I work right now are OBR, so I will have to shift gears early in 2012 to prep myself for the high school season again.

It never ceases to amaze me when groups or school systems require one for sub varsity games. Sub varsity is to develope kids for varsity, well guess what, the same is true for the umpires. How the devil are they supposed to work with experienced guys to prepare for varsity working JV one man. They learn bad habits and gain no rules knowledge like they should.

I want to work on my field presence and how I portray myself out there.

I have a reputation of being a nice easy going guy and bring that out on the field with me. Which I don't mind, but some of my evaluators feel I am too easy going. And this year I had no ejections and very few situations where it was even a thought.

I have a reputation of being a nice easy going guy and bring that out on the field with me. Which I don't mind, but some of my evaluators feel I am too easy going. And this year I had no ejections and very few situations where it was even a thought.

I pretty much mirror what you are saying. I worked long and hard to get the demeanor and respect. I try and treat players and coaches with respect and evenly enforce the rules. I think it is a great attribute that you have. I have seen umpires "demand" respect and act like they are the center of focus for the game. I would just as soon call the game and be noticed as little as possible and head to the house after the game. I believe you have gained the respect of the coaches thus the little or no thought of ejection because know you are not the type of guy grinding axes and trying to show people up. Keep up the great work. You sound like the type of guy that I would love to partner with. I believe it would be a pretty easy going, enjoyable experience. I have been working on different stances behind the plate including the Davis stance. This brings me to something that I saw last weekend.

I was watching a 14-16 year old game and as I was walking by, noticed the home plate umpire was a good 4 or 5 foot behind the catcher. I have never in 23 years seen anyone set up like this. I had to sit and watch this guy. I watched him for 3 innings and only saw one pitch that I may or may not have called differently. After the game I walked to his car to chat and asked him about this stance and set up. He told me that he had went to a clinic in South Texas about ten years ago and somebody was showing this stance. He called it a "deep stance" The next day I decided to just stand back and see what I saw back there. It felt downright weird to me. I like to be about an arms length from the catcher and push the strikes. Has anyone ever saw this set up before?? I googled deep stance and did not see anything come up. I thought maybe some of you vets who have been around may have seen or heard of this. Or for that matter, a newr guy.

I am in the same situation as gray hawk .... Heading into 2nd year in the high school unit and 3rd year overall.... Circumstances and good fortune ( as well as desperation...lol) have conspired to send me off to the one week MLB camp in Compton on Nov 6.

1319780335' post='74532']

I am in the same situation as gray hawk .... Heading into 2nd year in the high school unit and 3rd year overall.... Circumstances and good fortune ( as well as desperation...lol) have conspired to send me off to the one week MLB camp in Compton on Nov 6.

Hey NuBlue I am also attending the MLBUC in Compton in Nov. see you there!

My :2cents: Warren??

Don't change a thing! As long as YOU'RE the boss, and everyone knows it, you can be as nice as you can be on that field. I've never been "evaluated" so I haven't been in your sitch, but, I can't see that there's anything wrong with your approach as long as you don't get walked on!! :)

I was watching a 14-16 year old game and as I was walking by, noticed the home plate umpire was a good 4 or 5 foot behind the catcher. I have never in 23 years seen anyone set up like this. I had to sit and watch this guy. I watched him for 3 innings and only saw one pitch that I may or may not have called differently. After the game I walked to his car to chat and asked him about this stance and set up. He told me that he had went to a clinic in South Texas about ten years ago and somebody was showing this stance. He called it a "deep stance" The next day I decided to just stand back and see what I saw back there. It felt downright weird to me. I like to be about an arms length from the catcher and push the strikes. Has anyone ever saw this set up before?? I googled deep stance and did not see anything come up. I thought maybe some of you vets who have been around may have seen or heard of this. Or for that matter, a newr guy.

The only thing I have heard is that if you are having trouble with the outside corner, then get a little deeper but 4 to 5 feet behind the catcher seems way too far. There is no way you can see the whole strike zone from there.

1319780335' post='74532']

Hey NuBlue I am also attending the MLBUC in Compton in Nov. see you there!

Good deal.. Looking forward to meeting you... I'm easy to recognize... Old, slow guy.., lol.

I don't get walked on, it's just more a preception = reality thing. I really havent been challenged in handling situations when being evaluated. So they apply my laid back approach to how they think I'd handle a stickey situation.

It's not a problem from my point of view, but I actually hope to get some tough situations to handle for my evaluators next year.

2012 is going to be my comeback year!

I don't get walked on, it's just more a preception = reality thing. I really havent been challenged in handling situations when being evaluated. So they apply my laid back approach to how they think I'd handle a stickey situation.

It's not a problem from my point of view, but I actually hope to get some tough situations to handle for my evaluators next year.

2012 is going to be my comeback year!

Forget the evaluators Warren ...if YOU know you'll handle the sitch properly, ...you WILL be fine! :)

I want to be intimately familiar with all the applicable mechanics at my levels and the next level.

That means I need to know:

NFHS Mechanics

LL Mechanics

CCA Mechanics

I will also spend as much time studying Maximizing as anything else.

I want to understand the differences between the systems so I can recall them when needed. Just like I have am aware of 25 LL rule differences and 128 NFHS rule differences, I want to compile a list of Mechanics differences between the major systems so I can adjust when partners or games require it.

I need to convince my knee doctor and foot doctor to give me a couple cortisone shots if I am going to do 200 games again.

I need to convince my knee doctor and foot doctor to give me a couple cortisone shots if I am going to do 200 games again.

As someone who has been in a similar situation in relying on cortisone shots to get me through the season I feel for you - literally.

But one of the best things I've done for myself in a while is get surgery on my anlke to fix the problem. I'm still not 100% healed, but I'm many times better than I was before the surgery. I'll trade the discomfort of over-doing it after the surgery to the pain I was in before any day. Like I mentioned before 2012 is my comeback year.

• 2 weeks later...

to the OP, I'm going to work on my "yes he went"/"yes he did" mechanic on a bunt attempt. If I could have a favorite machanic that would be it. By "work on" I mean work on not calling it so often, I find myself almost looking to call it with any little flinch of the bat. I'm especially agressive when a batter pushes just a slight amout and then pulls the bat back completely. I find myself second guessing after the call thinking should have let that one go. I think my work will be on making sure it was an honest attempt and not just a flinch. 1

Why are you getting cortisone shots in your foot? If you have a heel spur fix it...that does not mean surgery. Cortisone has a habit of eating soft tissue...that is not what you want if you are treating a heel spur. It will eventually weaken the ligaments and tendons and they will rupture.

I have these in EVERY SHOE except dress shoes.

https://secure.yoursole.com/us/footbeds/softec-ultra/

I have a heel spur and here is what I have found that works...I officiate both football and baseball. Baseball KILLS my heel. Football is a cake walk. Think about how you stand behind the plate or in the field. If you do the hands on knees

stance all you are doing in driving your body weight down thru your heels to the ground. I can work the plate ALL DAY and not have any pain in my heels...2 innings in the field and my heel is barking at me.

1. n-said for inflammation. 4 pills every 4-5 hours while working games. If I am having an issue outside sports- 3-4 pills 3 times a day for 10 days. It helps with pain but it helps knock down the underlying inflammation.

2. ICE

3. Golf ball, place in freezer. I have 3 in there at all times. Put it on the floor and roll your foot over it. The whole foot. Massage everything with light to medium pressure. Find the spot on you heel that hurts....go get it HARD. I roll a towel and place it on the floor in a half moon shape behind my heel so when the golf ball squirts out the back or side it doesn't roll under the couch or to the other side of the room. You should be able to work up to standing and putting MOST of you body weight on you foot while working the golf ball under your heel. Yes it hurts. I will ice immediately after i use the golf ball just to help with pain and swelling.

4. Stretch you heels. Stand on a step and let you heel hang off the edge and stretch your calf. This helps loosen the Achilles and calf so there is not as much pull on the plantar fascia.

5. I wear the Sole insoles everyday in my sports shoes. I can tell a huge difference.

Here is a site that can help with tips and treatments...

http://www.ronjones.org/Coach&Train/BodyXerciseLibrary/SpecialConditions/PlantarFasciitis.html

I want to work on my volume. Several partners have commented that I'm too quiet on foul ball calls and such. Which seems weird to me, because I'm pretty loud, but it's obviously an issue...

Also, I want to work on taking my time with odd things at the plate - stuff like a hit batter on an attempted bunt (strike or HBP), potential dropped third strikes, etc. I feel that often times I'm making a call before I have all the information and it's going to burn me big one of these days...

I want to work on my volume. Several partners have commented that I'm too quiet on foul ball calls and such. Which seems weird to me, because I'm pretty loud, but it's obviously an issue...

Also, I want to work on taking my time with odd things at the plate - stuff like a hit batter on an attempted bunt (strike or HBP), potential dropped third strikes, etc. I feel that often times I'm making a call before I have all the information and it's going to burn me big one of these days...

Maybe it isn't volume but timing. Maybe the call is coming too quick and your partner is listening at that moment b/c something else is going on. Not sure. This may be an issue where you need an observer from outside the fence who will be concentrating on just you to see if they can hear it and get a different perspective of the issue. It may be related to your other issue.