Just Curious

jkumpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4566 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I want to work on my volume. Several partners have commented that I'm too quiet on foul ball calls and such. Which seems weird to me, because I'm pretty loud, but it's obviously an issue...

Also, I want to work on taking my time with odd things at the plate - stuff like a hit batter on an attempted bunt (strike or HBP), potential dropped third strikes, etc. I feel that often times I'm making a call before I have all the information and it's going to burn me big one of these days...

Maybe it isn't volume but timing. Maybe the call is coming too quick and your partner is listening at that moment b/c something else is going on. Not sure. This may be an issue where you need an observer from outside the fence who will be concentrating on just you to see if they can hear it and get a different perspective of the issue. It may be related to your other issue.

I'm pretty sure it's actually volume, but that's an interesting point. I wasn't real clear in my original post, but when I say I'm pretty loud, I think, in normal "day-to-day" life, I'm fairly loud, but that isn't really translating to the field. To your point, perhaps, in addition to being a bit louder, I should "draw out" my calls a bit. I have noticed that on close foul calls, I'll bark out a quick, punctuated "FOUL!", maybe it should be a bit longer of a call, if that makes sense...

I want to work on my volume. Several partners have commented that I'm too quiet on foul ball calls and such. Which seems weird to me, because I'm pretty loud, but it's obviously an issue...

Also, I want to work on taking my time with odd things at the plate - stuff like a hit batter on an attempted bunt (strike or HBP), potential dropped third strikes, etc. I feel that often times I'm making a call before I have all the information and it's going to burn me big one of these days...

Maybe it isn't volume but timing. Maybe the call is coming too quick and your partner is listening at that moment b/c something else is going on. Not sure. This may be an issue where you need an observer from outside the fence who will be concentrating on just you to see if they can hear it and get a different perspective of the issue. It may be related to your other issue.

I'm pretty sure it's actually volume, but that's an interesting point. I wasn't real clear in my original post, but when I say I'm pretty loud, I think, in normal "day-to-day" life, I'm fairly loud, but that isn't really translating to the field. To your point, perhaps, in addition to being a bit louder, I should "draw out" my calls a bit. I have noticed that on close foul calls, I'll bark out a quick, punctuated "FOUL!", maybe it should be a bit longer of a call, if that makes sense...

The timing and associated mechanic of raising your arms is more important than shear volume or length of call. If it is obvious there is no reason to verbalize it at all. If it is quick or questionable then certainly come up big with voice and mechanic.