New All-Star Equipment Available

NoCal Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4572 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

FYI.......

Ump-Attire has the new System7 All-Star equipment available for pre-order. Called them and they said it should be in by mid September

Spoke with Vanessa to confirm pricing

Chest Protector: $154.99 (this is in-line with the WV)

Leg Guards: $134.99 (no it's not a typo)

Cheers,

NoCal Blue

Update:

Fixed the links...sorry bout that.

I had the same reaction as most of you about the LG's (ouch$$$). The folks at Ump-Attire indicated that the price may adjust if they don't sell or if other sites sell them for less. My take....I don't care how good they claim to or may be, at this price point (highest on the market) there are several good if not great options for less.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was wise to price the All-Star below the WV Gold.

As for the leg guards. If they are far and above in terms of quality up against the black Wilsons, then I suppose that's how they justify the price. OR, maybe they don't have a lot in stock, so they jack the price up and adjust as inventory increases. Right now, it seems like supply and demand. If you really, really want them, you'll pay a premium to get them now as opposed to when the price drops.

With 10% off, they come in at $121.49, so about a $20 bill above the Wilson's...which really isn't too bad.

Still a good chunk of change.

It was wise to price the All-Star below the WV Gold.

As for the leg guards. If they are far and above in terms of quality up against the black Wilsons, then I suppose that's how they justify the price. OR, maybe they don't have a lot in stock, so they jack the price up and adjust as inventory increases. Right now, it seems like supply and demand. If you really, really want them, you'll pay a premium to get them now as opposed to when the price drops.

With 10% off, they come in at $121.49, so about a $20 bill above the Wilson's...which really isn't too bad.

Still a good chunk of change.

It will be interesting to see what the price does for sure. On a not-so-encouraging note, this price seems to be in line with what their System 7 catcher's shin guards retail for, so this is probably fairly close to the final price-point...

I would say the price is about right on the CP. Having worn a gold for the past three years and having worn the all-star this summer I would say that they are very comparable and I would personally pay a little more for the all-star since it has the padding that can be removed and washed much easier.I absolutely love the shins. I was surprised at the price point until I saw that some retailers sell the catcher version for up to 149.99. The umpire shins are basically the same thing with added ankle protection I believe.

FYI.......why does ump attire have to wait for other retailers to have low prices to lower their ridiculous pricing..especially on the leg guards..everybody says they have good service, which im not doubting\..but if u do ur homework u will find that ump attire is always in the top 10% of retaillers with the highest prices..all star in the past has not been that successful in the umpire equipment department and to have such high pricing on their new products is dangerous

Ump-Attire has the new System7 All-Star equipment available for pre-order. Called them and they said it should be in by mid September

Cheers,

NoCal Blue

Update:

I had the same reaction as most of you about the LG's (ouch$$). The folks at Ump-Attire indicated that the price may adjust if they don't sell or if other sites sell them for less. My take....I don't care how good they claim to or may be, at this price point (highest on the market) there are several good if not great options for less.

FYI.......why does ump attire have to wait for other retailers to have low prices to lower their ridiculous pricing..especially on the leg guards..everybody says they have good service, which im not doubting\..but if u do ur homework u will find that ump attire is always in the top 10% of retaillers with the highest prices..all star in the past has not been that successful in the umpire equipment department and to have such high pricing on their new products is dangerous

Cheers,

NoCal Blue

Update:

I had the same reaction as most of you about the LG's (ouch$$). The folks at Ump-Attire indicated that the price may adjust if they don't sell or if other sites sell them for less. My take....I don't care how good they claim to or may be, at this price point (highest on the market) there are several good if not great options for less.

Justwin....

In terms of pricing It's been my experience that Jim and the folks at Ump-Attire will price match direct on-line competitors. In fact they do a great job of it. The only exceptions that I'm aware of is Ebay and Amazon which they don't. As you mentioned, and also my opinion, their service and expertise is superior to that of other on-line retailers and even some wholesalers. So why did they price them so high?.......It's only speculation but it makes sense based on MSRP and the All-Star catcher LG's price point. As All-Star is not the dominant brand in CP's or LG's for officilas, I think they significantly missed the mark on the LG's (by at least $55). As is always the case with these things though, time will tell and the market will eventually prevail.

I order the majority of my gear for baseball from Ump-Attire and EVERYTHING for football from them...service is the best...shipping is reasonable and gets to me in 2-3 days using USPS...which is the least expensive of the shipping options. I will say they are typically higher on their gear than other retailers. The difference sometimes comes in when you add shipping...it becomes a wash at times when you do.

I am in the market for a new CP and shins...I waited until the All Star gear came out to get serious about ordering...the CP in my opine is a winner. I love the fact that it comes in a longer length. I have tried on both the Plat and Gold and felt they were too short...especially on the side as they left bone exposed. My next option was going to be the Original WV #3209...it is longer. The ALL Star is my #1 CP option right now.

The shins are a different story...never go cheap...don't over pay either. I think I can find options for shins that are a much more attractive price than the All Stars...not that they aren't nice...they look Cadillac(even though I would NEVER by a Cadillac...Government Motors) I think I can find a solid set...heck almost any set for half that price...I think they missed the mark in pricing. The shins may be great, light, low profile, cool and protective....but I think I can find a set close for about $50...

The market will prevail on these items...the CP I think will do well...the shins...not so much...

Agreed that the CP will sell okay at that price if it is all it is cracked up to be. The shin guards are too high though. My Wilson double-knee shin guards work just fine and I think I paid $50 for them on eBay and they were almost new. I think they're only about $80 new.

I agree that the price seems a bit high on the shins, but it has been proven time and again we as umpires are willing to pay more for the best equipment out there.

Think back when the Wilson hard shells came out and they were priced well north of $300

Same with the HSMs

Over time the price has come down some, but these are widely considered the best there is out there.

I agree that the price seems a bit high on the shins, but it has been proven time and again we as umpires are willing to pay more for the best equipment out there.

Think back when the Wilson hard shells came out and they were priced well north of $300

Same with the HSMs

Over time the price has come down some, but these are widely considered the best there is out there.

i think its a bit too early to say that new all star chest protector and leg guards are considered the best considering that too many umpires have used these products. nevertheless i hope they are as good as they say they are. but once again the pricing is a bit high especially the leg guards.

then again some bozzo is williing to pay over 500 bucks for a nike mask on ebay..i guess supply and demand will dictate the price and success of these new products for all star in the umpiring field. overall all star hasnt been successful in the umpire market and maybe these too new products will challenge the wilson products. glad to see the all star chest protector comes in a 15 inch version and not like wilson and their 12 inch versions that cater to the umpires 5-9 and shorter

You won't find the Black Wilsons new anywhere under $90

I was talking about the grey Wilson shin guards. The black ones are the triple knee, and you are right about their price.

I tested the all star leg guards and they do have some very nice features ( patella padding and delta flex straps in particular) but i do agree that they are currently over priced . I also suspect that there will be a price adjustment in due time. The fact that they only come in sizes 17 or 18 is a bit problematic. A price adjustment, and, offering a 15.5 as well, would expand the market for these leg guards.

slo8140 or anyone who has worn the WV Gold and the new AS: I have a WV 12". a tad too short, I'm 5'11". I preferred the Douglas WV at 13". The offered length of this new AS at 15" would seem to go down too far. How would you say they compare? Thanks.

As any of my partners can tell you, washing my pads is not a priority.:rolleyes:

slo8140 or anyone who has worn the WV Gold and the new AS: I have a WV 12". a tad too short, I'm 5'11". I preferred the Douglas WV at 13". The offered length of this new AS at 15" would seem to go down too far. How would you say they compare? Thanks.

As any of my partners can tell you, washing my pads is not a priority.:rolleyes:

Read up in the thread and there are measurements that appear to have the CP coming down a bit further where needed, if that makes sense. That being said, I wear a 12" Gold, and I ordered a 12" All Star, but I have not tried the All Star, but like you, 15" seems too big.

I can tell you that I'm almost certain that All Star designed it to be better than the Gold.

Gerry:

I have have worn the All Star, the Gold and the Douglas. I have a 13" Douglas and a M/L WV. The All Star is closer in size to the Douglas than the WV. The All Star is low profile like the Douglas but conforms better due to the way the plates are attached. The addition of the Delta Flex harness makes this the most comfortable CP I have ever worn. This CP fits close and allows a lot of freedom of movement. Never once in wearing the All Star did I feel that I was moving around behind the CP. There was no "break in period".

As for the shins everyone has to decide for themselves. All I will say is that a fair number of the F2's out there are paying a similar price for the All Star shins and I am sure that there are cheaper alternatives out there. I have worn them and I like them. They are light, cool and protective. Again I have worn the Wilson Platinum and Honigs K20 and K2010. I would have liked to seen these in a 16" length

Also remember if you do decide to wash your pads you might not be any better but, you won't stink!!!!