New chest protector

Paperipper17
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5133 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm looking to buy a new chest protector. I have the Schutt Cool Flow (I think that's the name), and it's great for the little guys, up to 12 YO. But in the fall I did a few HS and college games and was in fear for my life the entire time. I'm about to start doing 14+ AAU, and I'll have more fall games this year I'm sure. I'm looking on Ump-Attire.com and they have the Diamond iX3 for $70 and the Wilson hard shell for $100. Any suggestions or testimonials? Or suggestions for other protectors? Anything I get will need to have attachable rib pads; I'm 6'7" and standard protectors leave about half of my ribcage exposed. Thanks in advance

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm- I'm 6'3, and my WV Gold will j-u-s-t about cover my lower ribs, so the extra 4" will probably leave you uncomfortably exposed. I wonder if you could canabalize your Schutt, and make an extension for the WV?

Hmm- I'm 6'3, and my WV Gold will j-u-s-t about cover my lower ribs, so the extra 4" will probably leave you uncomfortably exposed. I wonder if you could canabalize your Schutt, and make an extension for the WV?

I could, but I'd like to keep the Schutt for doing the younger kids' games, it's very light and cool and has ice pack pockets, great for the summers. How do you like the Gold? I know it has available extender pads for sale, and as tight as the budget is, I don't mind shelling out an extra $20 for that. I've heard some good things about that CP so far in general, it's the frontrunner for sure. Does it handle heat well? I saw you're in Texas, so I'm pretty confident you've put it through the same paces in that facet that I would :2cents:.

It would be hard to beat this one:

http://www.anacondasports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10201&categoryId=172880&langId=-1&sportId=49301&productId=175577

17 inches of hard shell protection for $40. It's not a Gold, but for your size it may be the best route.

I have this CP. If I were you I'd go for the gold or plat.

Ump-Attire has a good selection.

UIC is correct.

Ump-Attire is the best place to get your gear and your questions answered.

Gerrydavis.com

btlofficialsgear.com

Those sites have it as well but I think most people on this board would agree that Jim and his crew has the best customer service and a great selection.

The hard shells on the champion CP are fine, I'm not sure if you can really get too technical with a few pieces of plastic. My problem is the padding underneath, it's paper thin compared to the Gold, CP, or charcoal. If price is an obstacle, I'd go for the Charcoal. It has the same basic layout (plates aren't connected) as the Campion but the padding underneath is superior. I used one of the older models for a while til I retired it in favor of a Platinum. I also hear some good (yet some bad things too) things about the Honigs K1. The Gold and the Platinum give you interlocking plates, better collar protection (especially the Platinum) and better side protection that the Charcoal and Champion.

I'm 6'1" and the Platinum fits me juuust right. Not a centimeter to spare on the ribs, they're all covered. But if the size is that big of a deal than you may want to go with the Champion, I also have the 17 inch model and I have a few inches to spare.

Personally, I'd stick with Wilson protective products and never look back.

That's my $0.02

Why do I have so many CPs?

Rip, I had a Honigs K1 for about 18 years, and loved it: it was light, cool and protected me. Then, about 3 years ago, I took a routine shot from a JV pitcher, and said" What the hell was THAT?". It appears (to me, at least), the padding started to break down. So, I test-drove a couple CP's from from friends, and went to a Gold. Rip, I haven't taken a single shot yet that I can say I've actually felt. Like you'l hear in other threads, it takes a game or two to break in, but, when it finally sets in, it's very comfortable. I've worked in 107 degree heat, and it's not any more noticeable that my K1. The only thing I have a problem with is (1) I'd like it a little longer (but you know that), and (2) the buckles slip: I had to tape them, and haven't had an issue with them.

I felt the Platinum was for more of an "upright" stance: I use a more bent over JD, and the Gold seems to cover more of the top of my shoulders, if I get lazy and don't get my ass down.

I have the Platinum, Gold and Douglas.

Gold: 90 percent of my games

Platinum: 8 percent

Douglas: 2 percent

I have tremendous confidence in the two Wilsons and with the Douglas as well, but it's a little short. I face serious gas in the off-season, and I wear only the Gold. I feel a little better protected--especially in the collarbone and shoulders--than with the Platinum. I'll wear the Platinum or Douglas as a change of pace, or in an emergency assignment. (I keep a bag of back-up gear at the office about 30 miles from home if I get a call at the last minute. The Douglas and matching shins are in that bag.)

Thanks a lot guys, this has been a big help :notworthy:. I'm going to spend the next few weeks trying on and test driving...if anyone's still interested I'll post on here which one I end up with. It'll probably come down to equal parts protection and price for me

For a balance b/t price and protection the charcoal Brandon referd to is a really good choice. But I don't know about the length for your height.

The Diamond iX3 is longer and has the extension. It is not a typical hardshell because the plastic plates are thinner and between the fabric and layers of foam. I know quite a few people who wear this protector and don't recall anybody saying anything bad about it. I'm sure others here can give some advice.

For a balance b/t price and protection the charcoal Brandon referd to is a really good choice. But I don't know about the length for your height.

The Diamond iX3 is longer and has the extension. It is not a typical hardshell because the plastic plates are thinner and between the fabric and layers of foam. I know quite a few people who wear this protector and don't recall anybody saying anything bad about it. I'm sure others here can give some advice.

It is unsafe at speeds over 70 m.p.h.

There, that's bad.

I wear the Charcoal Wilson that UIC and another poster referred to. I love it and will not switch until I need to. But I'm only 5'10" and I think it is short so it probably is not a good choice for someone 6'7". My bottom ribs are right at the bottom of the CP.

More on that Diamond:

I'm a big fan of many of their lines, including their bags. So it's not a Diamond thing.

I used that protector, thinking that it was light, cool and easy to move around in. After getting my first meaningful drilling (from which I sport a permanent bump on my clavicle), I ordered a Platinum. (I literally flipped a coin between the Platinum and the Gold and it came up Platinum; I have also acquired a Gold in the interim.)

My point is this: As Kyle often spells out, the cost of the inadequate protector, plus shipping (minus what little you can get for a sweaty, scraped-up, inadequate protector), added to the cost of an excellent protector makes the whole initial chest protector expense needlessly high.

My situation:

Diamond ... $65

Shipping ... $12

(after five or six plate games)

Platinum ... $130

Shipping ... $15

Total ... $222

Rip, I had a Honigs K1 for about 18 years, and loved it: it was light, cool and protected me. Then, about 3 years ago, I took a routine shot from a JV pitcher, and said" What the hell was THAT?". It appears (to me, at least), the padding started to break down. So, I test-drove a couple CP's from from friends, and went to a Gold. Rip, I haven't taken a single shot yet that I can say I've actually felt. Like you'l hear in other threads, it takes a game or two to break in, but, when it finally sets in, it's very comfortable. I've worked in 107 degree heat, and it's not any more noticeable that my K1. The only thing I have a problem with is (1) I'd like it a little longer (but you know that), and (2) the buckles slip: I had to tape them, and haven't had an issue with them.

I felt the Platinum was for more of an "upright" stance: I use a more bent over JD, and the Gold seems to cover more of the top of my shoulders, if I get lazy and don't get my ass down.

I have to agree with this that the K1 breaks down. I've only had mine for 6 years but I took a shot last year and was like: "damn, I felt too much of that ball." Up to that point, I had taken some shots and didn't feel a thing. Luckly, I had bought a Platinum at the beginning of the season and switched to using it for my games. The K1 is now my back up.

I went with the Champion, thanks kylejt. The extra length was really the selling point...I know a few guys that use it for college and say it takes shots well. Price and protection were my concerns, and at $40 I didn't think I'd find a better deal. I tried on the Gold and Platinum everyone suggested, but found them to be very short, leaving a lot of ribcage exposed. Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

I went with the Champion, thanks kylejt. The extra length was really the selling point...I know a few guys that use it for college and say it takes shots well. Price and protection were my concerns, and at $40 I didn't think I'd find a better deal. I tried on the Gold and Platinum everyone suggested, but found them to be very short, leaving a lot of ribcage exposed. Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Everybody's body is different. I'm glad you found a good CP!