New chest protector

Paperipper17
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5120 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

+1. I've used my Platinum in two games now -- still haven't been hit.

Be careful what you wish for... my first time out was with my old MSBL team. I'd just bought my Platinum, and they let me look at some pitches on their first practice (January, indoors). I guess it was the fact that it was a sleepy Sunday morning, but their (new) catcher is ready.. mitt's up.... here comes the pitch... (from a guy who's about 6'6", maybe 240 or so, big lefty, great heat.

POW!

Hits me square in the chest, up near the left shoulder. :WTF

I never flinched, thinking that Mr. New Catcher would spear it. Nope. :o

Several of the guys heard the noise, and looked over, wondering :WTF

"Sorry, sorry - I'm half asleep," he says. :no:

Very next pitch.....

POW!

SAME EXACT SPOT.

;):FIRE: :FIRE: :FIRE::agasp_::):FIRE:

Now everyone 's looking over, and wondering who their new "catcher" (?) is.... well you can bet I tore him a new one, right there in front of everybody.

We were OK after that.

They didn't hurt, and I quickly learned how valuable a good CP can be.

But trust me, you don't want to test your gear in that manner. Take my word for it - if you're wearing a Platinum or Gold, it'll protect you. :)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now everyone 's looking over, and wondering who their new "catcher" (?) is.... well you can bet I tore him a new one, right there in front of everybody.

We were OK after that.

That's just a lazy catcher...If you aren't awake enough to catch a guy throwing baseballs at you, you don't need to be there in the first place...I bet he'd have stopped it if it was coming at his left chest area.

There's always one piece of gear that I get in that I hope I never use.......

I took three shots off my little buddy's helmet in my first week. I don't see how some guys get back there without it. :shakehead:

I took a foul off the catchers knee and into the cup. There's actually a small crack. I'll have to take a picture tonight.

It didn't hurt, stunned the heck out of me, made my heart go a mile a minute, and got some sympathy groans from people, but didn't hurt.

I took three shots off my little buddy's helmet in my first week. I don't see how some guys get back there without it. :shakehead:

I did this one time, behind a newish catcher and one of the fastest girls in the league. I didn't play macho man or anything, just was running late and ran off and forgot it at home. Sure enough she lets one get away and the catcher misses the block and I can feel graze me as I pass by. My boys then procede to climb upwards as far as they can go. Needless to say, I DO NOT forget my cup at the house anymore. Once is enough!

I did this one time, behind a newish catcher and one of the fastest girls in the league. I didn't play macho man or anything, just was running late and ran off and forgot it at home. Sure enough she lets one get away and the catcher misses the block and I can feel graze me as I pass by. My boys then procede to climb upwards as far as they can go. Needless to say, I DO NOT forget my cup at the house anymore. Once is enough!

I just had that fetal-position reaction I get when watching the worst portion of America's Funniest Videos. That's an awful feeling. Don't take this the wrong way, but you deserve a hug.

In my truck, in the netting behind the driver seat, is a small mesh bag with backups for my three most important forgettable pieces of gear...indicator, cup, jock strap. I've had to use that backup several times, and thanked my lucky stars I had a spare each time.

Four words: Back-up cup in car.

Finally got my p210 today... won't be able to use it until Friday or Saturday my dad is taking the stick in our game tomorrow in his Champion.

amarillo , i have this champion 200 CP , bought last year , havent really taken any severe shots . after you get a few games in curious what u think . BTW has anyone in this group seen the +pos (new) website . it has been up for a year at least or more. i dont know if it is run by the same family or what . +pos has a CP only one offered . it looks very different from the prior CP models . on the site there is a photo (small) , and very little description(vauge) about the features of this CP . it is also pricey $$$ . so does anyone have any feedback about this +pos site or the CP . the site has been gradually adding more and more items over the course of time , they seem to have some nice gear , though mostly on the mid to higher range . welcome any comments . D62

+POS is now being run by Dan Parsons, the son of the original owners. He's selling a combination of NOS (new, old stock) and newer stuff. I like the scrapper brush, and a charcoaled striped jacket. Top notch. Dan is selling a lot of his stock on eBay. Just search for "POS umpire".

The CP is bulky, and weird. I know a guy who has one, and wishes he didn't.

amarillo , i have this champion 200 CP , bought last year , havent really taken any severe shots . after you get a few games in curious what u think . BTW has anyone in this group seen the +pos (new) website . it has been up for a year at least or more. i dont know if it is run by the same family or what . +pos has a CP only one offered . it looks very different from the prior CP models . on the site there is a photo (small) , and very little description(vauge) about the features of this CP . it is also pricey $$$ . so does anyone have any feedback about this +pos site or the CP . the site has been gradually adding more and more items over the course of time , they seem to have some nice gear , though mostly on the mid to higher range . welcome any comments . D62

Okay so I have worn my champion twice now. Both games big school jv contests and the biggest thing I have noticed so far is how much more confident I am behind the plate. Before the new CP I looked like Ali in his prime bobbing and weaving all over the place. Not anymore... I couple of things I noticed and I am not sure if they are specific to this protector or not. If you wear it with a UA compression shirt it likes to ride I had to pull it down before every pitch and if I looked down the throat protector on my mask would occasionally hang. Game two was last night and after tweaking the straps a little bit and changing to a UA t-shirt I didn't have near the riding issues. Both games featured good catchers so I didn't take any shots. Bottom line is I love it and would recommend to anyone who is on tighter budget but doesn't want to get killed... On a side note I have a 3 year old Itech Umpire3000 I am looking to unload. It looks just like the mesh covered Gerry Davis only it is blue. It works well for little kids if you don't mind looking like you have a nice set of double D's growing out of your shoulders.

amarillo , after a few more games the cp will contour to youre body . most important adjustment is to make sure that when you squat down , the cp doesnt drop down , the cp should be snug to youre throat (not choaking ) but snug . this will ensure that you arent leaving any collar bone exposed . it only takes about 10-14 lb.s of pressure to break this bone . it is one of the weakest in the body . and it will drop you in a nano second !!! i see many PU with nice cp's too loose on their body . keep it snug to the base of neck/throat .

I know the pain of a broken collar bone all to well. It did not happen in a baseball game though it happen while inverted in a Polaris RZR - I broke it at the shoulder - the hardest place to break it and it required two surgeries to repair it. trust me I am more careful now

OK guys...did a search for the Wilson A3209 WV and came up with nothing. I had a Schutt protector on order and found out today that it is on backorder until JUNE!!!!! I have measured my chest and I would love to go with a Plat or Gold but neither will cover my ribs...so I am looking at the A3209 WV due to it's longer length. Anyone use or know someone who uses it....I need some opinions.

That is a good CP.

A3209_sm_v3_m56577569830653463.png

I know people who use it and are happy.

this WV model is very close in design(minus the biceps) to the champion P200 , that is being discussed . the P200 is 17" long , iam 6'5" have a long torso . the P200 covers to below the ribs for me . not sure about the WV shown ? i cant say for sure how much thicker the padding is in the WV model . there is a great write up on the midwestump blog (i think thats it ) . comparing 4 different models of CP the P200 is one of the models tested . read the review it is very interesting . if i remember the thickness of the P200 CP was the thickest of all models . check out the review . not saying that the WV isnt good or better , just giving my .02

this WV model is very close in design(minus the biceps) to the champion P200 , that is being discussed . the P200 is 17" long , iam 6'5" have a long torso . the P200 covers to below the ribs for me . not sure about the WV shown ? i cant say for sure how much thicker the padding is in the WV model . there is a great write up on the midwestump blog (i think thats it ) . comparing 4 different models of CP the P200 is one of the models tested . read the review it is very interesting . if i remember the thickness of the P200 CP was the thickest of all models . check out the review . not saying that the WV isnt good or better , just giving my .02

Nothing beats the west vest when it comes to protection, and taller guys like us can buy the extender pads for it. But unless you're doing very high-level ball, the 200 is great. To be honest, you could probably use it, as it's rated (by the manufacturer, though) at high speeds. The main advantage to the WV is the solid, one-piece plate...the 200 is a bunch of different, unconnected plates. Like you said, though, you're 6'5" and the extra coverage is a must. My p200 has already caught a few any other protector would have missed. But Warren's right, the WV is a great protector. Hell, it's all the MLB guys use, so there's no reason to argue with that lol. But, ;), I love my 200.

• 2 weeks later...

amarillo in the last several days i have worked a couple games 12 yo LL ball , both pitchers different games ,throwing easy 75mph , at 46 ft . = 90MPH !!!! catchers in both games didnt get the mitt up in time ,direct hit in the shoulder areas L&R side of the champion CP , barely noticed the hit , iam very impressed with the p200 so far . no shots to the chest yet . i think for the price this is a great value for sure . i did take a point blank foul shot(at eye level) to my pro 9 light weight mask from the same pitcher(75 mph) tonight . yes it did take me a minute to compose myself , but no injury to me , the mask peeled away to the side a little just as it should .

d62 blue

amarillo in the last several days i have worked a couple games 12 yo LL ball , both pitchers different games ,throwing easy 75mph , at 46 ft . = 90MPH !!!! catchers in both games didnt get the mitt up in time ,direct hit in the shoulder areas L&R side of the champion CP , barely noticed the hit , iam very impressed with the p200 so far . no shots to the chest yet . i think for the price this is a great value for sure . i did take a point blank foul shot(at eye level) to my pro 9 light weight mask from the same pitcher(75 mph) tonight . yes it did take me a minute to compose myself , but no injury to me , the mask peeled away to the side a little just as it should .

d62 blue

I hate to break it to you, but virtually no 12-year-olds throw 75 m.p.h. fastballs. (And if they do, they're not playing Little League.) The better ones get it up there in the high-60s at that age, and when they're 15 or 16, the better ones start getting up to the high-70s. In high school, the Tuesday starters throw in the 80s, and the true phenoms are throwing high-80s. The rare high schooler is in the 90s.

I ran a travel club for many years, and then worked the gun in scout leagues and charted all of the velocity readings for hundreds of prospect pitchers over several years. I also work in a program for young prospects at a D-I university facility as an instructor. If there's a 12-year-old throwing 75 m.p.h., he's a major standout. So having opposing 12-year-olds throwing that kind of gas is highly improbable.

Work a gun sometime; it'll open your eyes.

I hate to break it to you, but virtually no 12-year-olds throw 75 m.p.h. fastballs. (And if they do, they're not playing Little League.) The better ones get it up there in the high-60s at that age, and when they're 15 or 16, the better ones start getting up to the high-70s. In high school, the Tuesday starters throw in the 80s, and the true phenoms are throwing high-80s. The rare high schooler is in the 90s.

I ran a travel club for many years, and then worked the gun in scout leagues and charted all of the velocity readings for hundreds of prospect pitchers over several years. I also work in a program for young prospects at a D-I university facility as an instructor. If there's a 12-year-old throwing 75 m.p.h., he's a major standout. So having opposing 12-year-olds throwing that kind of gas is highly improbable.

Work a gun sometime; it'll open your eyes.

+1. Even the kids in the LLWS rarely reach the mid-70s, and those are the best of the best. the hardest i ever saw was one of those 6'4" 12YOs throwing 80, which came out to around 109 MLB equivalent. Ridiculous. of course, his ball:strike ratio was about 3:1. The fastest I've seen personally at that age is 73, from another one of those giants (His dad had a gun, and made a point of yelling out every reading:rolleyes:. Like, dude, the Yankees won't be here for another six years.), and he threw the hardest by a long shot.

To be dead honest, and not that this has anything to do with anything, I had a tougher time tracking low 70s from 46 feet than I did tracking low 90s from 60.

BUT-my Champion p200 has absorbed some solid shots from across the board, and a thrown bat square to the chest, and I haven't felt a thing. LOVE it.

Seriously not trying to be a smart*ss because I haven't worked a game younger than whiskers in 15 years, but as far as protection does it matter how much a 70 MPH fastball converts to at 60 ft, 6 in?

Your CP only knows the velocity and location of the ball upon impact. It doesn't know where it came from. Correct?

Seriously not trying to be a smart*ss because I haven't worked a game younger than whiskers in 15 years, but as far as protection does it matter how much a 70 MPH fastball converts to at 60 ft, 6 in?

Your CP only knows the velocity and location of the ball upon impact. It doesn't know where it came from. Correct?

That's correct.

The distance matters for the batter's (and catcher's) reaction time, but it doesn't materially affect the force the ball imparts (the ball does slow down over the distance, so there's slighlty more force on a ball that is released at 75 mph from 46 feet compared with one that is released from 60 feet).