West Vest Platinum

JamesC
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3777 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I bought a WV Platinum CP a few months back and did not really like it. I kept it in hopes that I would grow accustomed to it but never did. If anyone knows of anything that would maybe be interested in purchasing one that is still brand new for just a few dollars less than from a retailer, let me know. I purchased it from Ump-Attire.com but do not have the invoice and don't figure I would be able to return it.

It is bulkier than what I like. I feel as though I just cannot move around the way I would like to in it. I would really like to be able to trade it in for a Gold, as I hear the Gold is much better, but as I stated before, I don't know if he would let me because all it is, is just the protector. No wrap or invoice or anything.

• Like 1

Doesnt hurt to call. And from talking to Jim, he is really good about taking care of his people. As long as there isnt anything wrong with the protector or it doesnt smell like its been worn for the whole season, I dont see why you couldnt try and work something out. You might just have to pay the difference and shipping there and back.

Since you ordered it online, you should have a confirmation email if you haven't deleted it. Even if you don't, Jim would be able to look up your purchase in his database. He's great to work with, give it a shot.

Unless, of course, the cat peed on it or something. :angel4:

Edited by blue32

It is bulkier than what I like. I feel as though I just cannot move around the way I would like to in it. I would really like to be able to trade it in for a Gold, as I hear the Gold is much better, but as I stated before, I don't know if he would let me because all it is, is just the protector. No wrap or invoice or anything.

The Gold's padding is thicker, its sternum plate sticks out farther, and it has these two upper rid plate flaps that also make it a little bulkier than a Platinum. The gap coverage in the shoulder plates is the only place where the Gold is sleeker. Otherwise, I must say that all that bulk is what makes these things the most protective.

Purchase the Gold. When I first got it I noticed the immediate comfort level and how snug it was on me. It felt a little bulky at the beginning. I kept working some of the plastic pieces and now it fits great! And a lot of the padding as somewhat flattened out.

If you get a Gold, roll the shoulder pads each time you take it on or off. It will take shape and fit well after a few times of doing this. It is bulkier than a soft shell but you can't beat the protection. I don't use the Gold but the three Wilson vest are similar and I can throw with it on with no problem.

I am a platinum guy, and I admit it took some time to mold to me....but now that it has, I am very satisfied.....

like MST says, make sure you work any new protector thoroughly to get a good fit......you dont say what level of ball you call, but in the inital break in phase, I was willing to sacrifice some fit/bulkiness for the protection that the platinum gives..

Keep adjusting and working and you find the fit you need......any WV product is worth some extra time fitting and adjusting....

Edited by Stan W.

Take a few really hard shots with it on - - you might start wondering if it's not bulky enough! :TD:

When I first wore my Plat, I had the same concerns as you... "gosh it's awfully bulky..." :hi5:

The first time I wore mine was during a batting cage session for a "men's little league" team I had formerly played for. The pitcher was capable of throwing 80-85 or so, though I don't know what he had that particular day. Anywho, the first two pitches were completely missed by the catcher, and each of them struck me just below the left collarbone - almost the same exact spot. That quickly cured the "it's too bulky" thoughts I'd had. :TD:

It's just that I cannot move my arms around and everything like I want to be able to. I can't get my arms up over my shoulder or anything (per say, to throw a ball back to the pitcher) and I just don't feel like I can move around in it very well. I understand that breaking it in is necessary for new CPs, but I just don't see how breaking this in is going to make it to where my arms would be more maneuverable.

It's just that I cannot move my arms around and everything like I want to be able to. I can't get my arms up over my shoulder or anything (per say, to throw a ball back to the pitcher) and I just don't feel like I can move around in it very well. I understand that breaking it in is necessary for new CPs, but I just don't see how breaking this in is going to make it to where my arms would be more maneuverable.

The Gold isn't much better if that's what you're worried about. It does get better with the Platinum as it gets broken in though.

The Gold has those two pads/flaps that are right under the shoulder caps (Right in front of your arm pit), which make it a little bulky. With that said, the Gold fits me a lot better than the Platinum, hence the reason I switched to it.

Thanks a lot. After my purchase of the Platinum, I was worried that the Gold was the route I should have went, and for only $10 more I could have gotten it and I was aggravated that I took the cheap way out. I played QB in high school and it's more less deja vieux all over again, with me not being able to extend my arms and do things. If the Gold is the same way, I think I may just try another route because the darn CPs are both made just like football shoulder pads down to the straps that affix in the front of the CP to hold it on. Football or Baseball...hmmm

I can a ball hard enough that catchers sometimes make comments that I have a decent arm. I have thrown a ball a couple of times to a pitcher in the bullpen dpwn the RF line. I think it is a matter of getting used to it.

I threw a ball to the catcher from about 40 feet beyond first base. The catcher was on a knee and never had to move his mitt. The pitcher, who had struggled for a couple of innings, just took off his glove and held it out along with the ball, like "Why don't you just pitch?"

It was a cool moment for a 52-year-old. And it helps build respectability when the players know you played. It's the same boost in respectability that you get when you speak the language to the catcher or a manager.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

I played QB in high school and it's more less deja vieux all over again, with me not being able to extend my arms and do things. If the Gold is the same way, I think I may just try another route because the darn CPs are both made just like football shoulder pads down to the straps that affix in the front of the CP to hold it on. Football or Baseball...hmmm

That's funny. Whenever I describe the Platinum to a layman, I describe it as being like a quarterback's shoulder pads.

Did you call Jim yet? What did he say?

I did not call but I did send an email and they said they would be glad to exchange it for store credit, just could not give me a refund since it has been over 60 days. This is quite fine with me because I need to upgrade from my original wardrobe of Dalco shirts :TD: Has anyone tried the shirts they sale? Ultimate Umpire Shirts maybe? Not quite sure what the thing is called but I've heard they are pretty nice. Just fishing for advice.

I did not call but I did send an email and they said they would be glad to exchange it for store credit, just could not give me a refund since it has been over 60 days. This is quite fine with me because I need to upgrade from my original wardrobe of Dalco shirts :TD: Has anyone tried the shirts they sale? Ultimate Umpire Shirts maybe? Not quite sure what the thing is called but I've heard they are pretty nice. Just fishing for advice.

It was rated highest by Midwest Ump on his blog when he did a review of five or six shirts earlier this year. Everything I've read on the forums say that they're really nice. I'll probably try them when I need new shirts and they make them in more colors.

I wouldn't doubt if their shirts are nice because their ball bags are awesome, and they make those themselves as well.

Yea, I absolutely love their ball bags but kinda disappointed that everyone else on here got free samples to try and I didn't haha jk but I do love their bags and want to try their shirts, but I too am going to have to wait until they get the black and major league blue with black collar.

Ok, so I know people are probably tired of hearing about it, but I am really at a dilemma here. I have pondered this for several days now, and am really at a stalemate here. I like the security the Platinum provides, but I have narrowed down my problems specifically and maybe one of you can help me with this. The 2 problems I am having are 1) the shoulder flaps. I just do not like how...out there they are. They extend much further than what I am worried about, and granted, it is going to hurt like hell most of the time when I get hit in the arm, but I really am willing to give that pad up for more mobility in my arms. And 2) is the 1"-1.5" pad on the front of the CP that provides extra security for the chest and pokes out of the shirt.

So now, my question for you is (I know that the Gold version does not have the pad to protect the chest), will purchasing the Gold provide any more mobility in the arms/shoulder area? This is my only concern really. The CP is much bulkier than I am familiar with, however, I have been using a $30 CP from Academy Sports that is not very protective, and quite thin, therefore resulting in MOBILITY...Oh what a crazy world. However, I know my current CP is not that safe were I to take even a 70 MPH fastball clean off the chest. So, what do you think? Should I return it and pay an extra $10 for the Gold, or should I just try to get familiar with the CP, or should I return it and get credit so I could get me some of those awesome shirts?

I personally chose the Gold because after trying a friends Platinum I felt I couldn't move my arms freely. But with the hard shells you do need to give them a bit of time to conform to your body. It is more of a personal preference than anything else they are both top notch in terms of protection.