West Vest Platinum

JamesC
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3777 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok, so I know people are probably tired of hearing about it, but I am really at a dilemma here. I have pondered this for several days now, and am really at a stalemate here. I like the security the Platinum provides, but I have narrowed down my problems specifically and maybe one of you can help me with this. The 2 problems I am having are 1) the shoulder flaps. I just do not like how...out there they are. They extend much further than what I am worried about, and granted, it is going to hurt like hell most of the time when I get hit in the arm, but I really am willing to give that pad up for more mobility in my arms. And 2) is the 1"-1.5" pad on the front of the CP that provides extra security for the chest and pokes out of the shirt.

So now, my question for you is (I know that the Gold version does not have the pad to protect the chest), will purchasing the Gold provide any more mobility in the arms/shoulder area? This is my only concern really. The CP is much bulkier than I am familiar with, however, I have been using a $30 CP from Academy Sports that is not very protective, and quite thin, therefore resulting in MOBILITY...Oh what a crazy world. However, I know my current CP is not that safe were I to take even a 70 MPH fastball clean off the chest. So, what do you think? Should I return it and pay an extra $10 for the Gold, or should I just try to get familiar with the CP, or should I return it and get credit so I could get me some of those awesome shirts?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here... you're concerned about mobility with your arms?

Let me ask you something - do you routinely put your arms up over your head when making certain calls? If so, then I have to ask, "Why?" :home:

I'm trying to think of any instances where my arms come up over my head during a game, and honestly, I can't think of one time where that happens.

PS: I wear the Platinum. The Gold is very good, too - I've tried one of them on in the store, and liked the way it felt - what I noted about the Gold was the area around the collarbone seemed to have less padding than the Platinum; especially in the area right under the throat, the Platinum has that thick padded area, whereas the Gold does not.

I agree w/ Warren on breaking in either of these CPs - yes, the Platinum at first felt as though I was wearing football shoulder pads, but fairly quickly (3, 4 games?) they rolled forward a bit and conformed to my body.

But back to your "arm mobility" question... I curious to hear about that... :clap:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here... you're concerned about mobility with your arms?

Let me ask you something - do you routinely put your arms up over your head when making certain calls? If so, then I have to ask, "Why?" :home:

I'm trying to think of any instances where my arms come up over my head during a game, and honestly, I can't think of one time where that happens.

PS: I wear the Platinum. The Gold is very good, too - I've tried one of them on in the store, and liked the way it felt - what I noted about the Gold was the area around the collarbone seemed to have less padding than the Platinum; especially in the area right under the throat, the Platinum has that thick padded area, whereas the Gold does not.

I agree w/ Warren on breaking in either of these CPs - yes, the Platinum at first felt as though I was wearing football shoulder pads, but fairly quickly (3, 4 games?) they rolled forward a bit and conformed to my body.

But back to your "arm mobility" question... I curious to hear about that... :clap:

What am I missing here? How do you signal "foul" or "time" if you don't raise your arms?:wow:

There's really only 2 specific times. 1) when I present the count every so often, my arms are about head high. With the chest protector on, I feel like I'm doing a workout to just get them to my chest. And 2) like I said earlier, when I'm throwing a ball back to the pitcher. If a ball gets away from the catcher or whatever and there isn't a batter on deck, I get the catcher to go get the ball and I throw the ball back to the pitcher. I know it's subtle things but they are things the do indeed aggravate me for some crazy reason.

Oh and also when I am reaching to take my face mask off, I do not want to have to duck my head to reach the mask lol

There's really only 2 specific times. 1) when I present the count every so often, my arms are about head high. With the chest protector on, I feel like I'm doing a workout to just get them to my chest. And 2) like I said earlier, when I'm throwing a ball back to the pitcher. If a ball gets away from the catcher or whatever and there isn't a batter on deck, I get the catcher to go get the ball and I throw the ball back to the pitcher. I know it's subtle things but they are things the do indeed aggravate me for some crazy reason.

Oh and also when I am reaching to take my face mask off, I do not want to have to duck my head to reach the mask lol

Head high to present the count? Why? Having your hands at chest high is plenty high enough. There's no reason for your hands to be over your head when signaling the count.

Don't throw the ball back to the pitcher. That's the catcher's job. Yes, I know, the "big boys" do it all the time. Fine, let them. Trust me, the day you throw a ball past the pitcher, or make him jump for it or reach to his toes for it, and then he complains to his coach about even the slightest injury from his attempt, then you'll wish you hadn't done that. In my own case, I tossed - TOSSED - a ball to a LL pitcher.... his glove was up and ready, and for whatever reason, his brain went into neutral. As the ball arrived, slightly higher than his glove, the glove stayed put, and - CLUNK - the ball skips off the top of his head. That woke him up. But it hurt, so of course, so now he's crying. No words I could offer to his coach (not to mention his Mom & Dad) could suffice - I was an evil ogre. From that day on, I've handed a ball to F2 for him to throw back.

As for Larry's question about calling a foul ball - my hands don't go any higher than my head - why should they go any higher than that? Who needs to see my impersonation of Richard Nixon while signaling the count or in calling a foul ball?

One last thing, James... you should also consider the size of the shirt you're wearing - is it maybe too tight, thus restricting how much room the pads have to move? When I have my Platinum on BEFORE I put on my shirt, those should pads are pretty floppy already - wearing a shirt that's too tight would cause some restriction in movement.

I think maybe your shirt's too tight. If you can't put your hand up to your face without a concerted effort, then something's wrong. As I said, the pads on my Platinum are pretty floppy - if it's 'a workout' just to reach your mask, then something's definitely wrong. :home:

Well, the shirt is a Large, and I am going to buy new shirts this year that are a size smaller to work the bases with. The shirt I have right now is plenty big enough, so it is not the shirt that is preventing the movement...

Well, the shirt is a Large, and I am going to buy new shirts this year that are a size smaller to work the bases with. The shirt I have right now is plenty big enough, so it is not the shirt that is preventing the movement...

I also wear a large shirt when doing the dish... are the pads 'floppy' before your shirt goes on? (They should be)... something's definitely amiss if the CP prevents you from lifting your arms... :home:

All kidding aside, you really shouldn't be that restricted in any West Vest product. I can throw just as well with or without my protector on. My mask comes off in a fluid movement without thinking about it. It sounds like you need to get together with somebody else that has one in your area and work on the adjustments.

Brian and Larry are right, James. When I read your post about mobility, I was wondering if you had an "Umpire that juggles chainsaws" lounge act or something.

I too have a platinum, and they break in, trust us on that. Yeah, it's not really easy to throw a baseball while wearing it, but I'm getting paid to call the game, not participate in it.

I don't know if you will be happier with a Gold or not, you may have to try one and see, but those have thicker padding in them than the platinum, so that may add to your concerns. They also have round side pads that look more intrusive to me than the ones on the platinum. But either way you go, give it time, and you will come to appreciate them, and prob won't want to own another type of CP again.

Well, I definitely could be exagerating a tiny bit about not being able to move at all, but I was just trying to make the point that I have less mobility in the Platinum than in the one I usually wear (the cheap one). But you guys have been extremely helpful and I think I am going to try to stick with it and wear it in. At worst, come season time, if I don't like it I could always sell it for a little less than what I paid for it. Hopefully, I will come accustomed to it and will fall in love with it.

Everytime you put on or take it off, roll the shoulder pieces that go over the top. Work all the moving parts to break them in. Also get a guy that has one to help get the adjustments right. Once you get them so you like them, tape them in place.

Everytime you put on or take it off, roll the shoulder pieces that go over the top. Work all the moving parts to break them in. Also get a guy that has one to help get the adjustments right. Once you get them so you like them, tape them in place.

Good advice here - definitely set the straps where you like them, and use some athletic tape to keep them set.

:question1:

When you say roll the shoulder pieces, does it matter which way you are rolling them? Or are you just talking about rolling them in anyway in general? Also, I think the cushion pads along the ribcage are part of the problem as well. Is there anything you guys have done that could possibly make that work out better?

By rolling I mean to roll it so the curve fits your shoulder better. If the rib pads are a problem cut them off. They are the big difference between the platinum and the MLB I use. I have never taken a shot in the ribs that it is meant to protect, so I think you are OK to loose them.

Ahh ok, I understand the should pads better now, and that makes sense to me. What CP do you use MS? Also, do you think it would be a good idea to cut the rib pads? I mean, I was a catcher in HS so I learned at an early age not to turn your body away from the protection and to center it up, so I don't have a problem with that. However, I just don't know if it is a good idea to cut up a $150 chest protector lol Just seems wrong to me.

By rolling I mean to roll it so the curve fits your shoulder better. If the rib pads are a problem cut them off. They are the big difference between the platinum and the MLB I use. I have never taken a shot in the ribs that it is meant to protect, so I think you are OK to loose them.

Whoa, stop! MIKE - what are you saying?!?

This is a Platinum he's talking about - - cut the padding off the rib area? :D JAMES, DO NOT DO THIS. :question1:

Witness what happend to Tom Hallion last night - he was hit right in the lower rib cage.

Besides, the Platinum has just one large padded area that covers all of that area - you can't just go cutting that padding away and expect the CP to function the way it's designed. Please, do not do this! :angel4:

brian, he's talking about the pec pads.

JamesC, everything will wear in even those pads. it takes time, you probaly won't have it fully broken in by spring. mine took almost 2 years, but i did notice after just a few months the shoulder pads had given up some and i was able to lift my arms higher.

It may be the pec pads, OK. I just know it is the pads just to the left and right of the hard plates on the chest and just below the shoulder pads. But I can see how they could wear down a bit and become more maneuverable.

It may be the pec pads, OK. I just know it is the pads just to the left and right of the hard plates on the chest and just below the shoulder pads. But I can see how they could wear down a bit and become more maneuverable.

That padding is there for a reason.

If you want to cut it off, do so at your own risk. It's not a good idea.

"Pec pads" :angel4: As in "pectorals" ? As in "chest"?

Even those little ones on the side are important - don't cut them off, please!

Do yourself a favor - break in the gear before you start monkeying around with it. It's there for your protection! (Would you wear a mask with one of the pads taken out? Of course not. :D

Here's an idea - wear the thing at home, while your watching a game - - work on your timing, work on your called third mechanic - sweat in the thing - get it formed to your body. It takes some time, but it's worth it. :wow:

;) :question1:

Dang Brian, I didn't mean to get you all excited. :question1: I know guys that have taken the two rib pads that are on the right and left of the protector with ill effects.

i know a couple of very well respected guys that took some out of the shoulders, this I do not suggest. That sounds dangerous. Wilson has made four different protectors, the platinum being the only one with these two pads. I use the MLU version which is very similar to the PL but is only $89.00. I agree to break it in well before you dump it or sell it know, go to the less expensive CP and you won't have the two pads to deal with. :angel4:

Where can I see the CP you are talking about owning that is only $89.00 mstaylor? Are you talking about the Charcoal WV? If not, show me a link to the one you are talking about please.

http://http://cat-sports.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CAT-Sports&Product_Code=W-A3217&Category_Code=BBCP

Actually it's $79.95.

Suggested Retail: $129.95

CAT Sports everyday low price: $79.95

:question1: Right. Show me anyone that's ever paid $130 for this CP, suggested retail or not.

Mike: My opinion is, "show me a guy who buys a piece of equipment, only to start cannibalizing it in the name of comfort, and I'll show you a guy who bought the wrong piece of equipment".

I'm having real difficulty in figuring out how those two little pads (which are designed to protect the rib cage) can prevent someone from lifting his arms up over his head. :angel4: But thinking about this a bit more.... James - could you perhaps have tightened this CP down TOO much?

Tell me your height & weight - that might help to know, too.

For reference purposes:

Platinum:

a3215_zoom.jpg

a3215-inside-z.jpg

Gold:

a3210_zoom.jpg

a3210-inside-z.jpg

Edited by BrianC14

I've worn both (Had the Platinum, now have the Gold) and have never had any difficulty moving my arms to do anything James describes. I can remove my mask without having to move my head, and I only put the count at chest level as it is.

Very weird indeed.