-
Posts
1,078 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
12
Everything posted by Pete Peterson Sr
-
It makes me very happy that we have our very own State mechanics manual, and do not have to use FED mechanics.
-
Plus, they probably make more money because of the labor than they would if they had distributors selling the pads separately.
-
Because they custom-cut each pad to fit the individual CP. They do not want to take a "cookie-cutter" approach, or as someone else said, because that's the way they want to do business.
-
Deciding I need nothing for an upcoming season has never stopped me from buying SOMETHING before, lol.
-
Fantastic spray cleaner works great, as well, and a friend of mine owns a shoe-repair shop, and says fantastic is safe for leather, too.
-
My answer ? "Coach, it's your responsibility to know the rules, not mine to explain each one to you".
-
When you get bored it happens
Pete Peterson Sr replied to Dannytheman's topic in Off-Topic/Funny Stories
To much Fosters. Fosters? Blagh! I'm not certain it could be found over here. We only make that stuff to export it. Lol, I know. I dated a girl from Sydney for a couple years (actually got to work some games out there for NSWBA) and she once told me "if I ever catch you drinking that crap, I will kill you." I was always partial to Tulley's myself. Foster's... It's Australian for disgusting. -
And who has the most to gain by lying ? I would say A Roid.
-
No I don't think it's ok RAT! Just another example of sticks and stones DB! Given the wording of your OP, I got the same impression. Lighten up, Francis. No need for personal attacks that include abbreviating a word that I'm sure you know is banned on this site. Didn't know it was banned. Don't care. Rich has shown his true colors as being a rat in the past. Once again sticks and stones. Sicks and stones, lol... and you're the one calling names. What is his avatar? He has even said is was one. His avatar is of a DB ??
-
No I don't think it's ok RAT! Just another example of sticks and stones DB! Given the wording of your OP, I got the same impression. Lighten up, Francis. No need for personal attacks that include abbreviating a word that I'm sure you know is banned on this site. Didn't know it was banned. Don't care. Rich has shown his true colors as being a rat in the past. Once again sticks and stones. Sicks and stones, lol... and you're the one calling names.
-
6.06c Exception- Batter is not out if any runner attempting to advance is put out...
-
I agree with you and Grayhawk but the wording on the rule has me wondering. I don't believe it says initial throw. It does say "other base", though. A throw back home is not "another" base.
-
No I don't think it's ok RAT! Just another example of sticks and stones DB! Given the wording of your OP, I got the same impression. Lighten up, Francis. No need for personal attacks that include abbreviating a word that I'm sure you know is banned on this site.
-
A question for assigners, board members, directors, etc
Pete Peterson Sr replied to Pete Peterson Sr's topic in Free For All
My only issue with this idea is the fact that we meet weekly for over a month before the season starts, and I don't want him wasting his time coming to the meetings. The two things he was very good at were: A: Showing up for meetings; and 2) Being on time for assignments (Early, actually. Like 3-4 hours before game time). As I said previously, we hope to have this handled before we begin meeting. There is nothing to be gained by being forced to meet with him before/after our meeting, and have everyone know we cut him, when he fails to appear at any further meetings. -
A question for assigners, board members, directors, etc
Pete Peterson Sr replied to Pete Peterson Sr's topic in Free For All
I absolutely agree, Big. But we can't have a face-to-face if we can't get in touch with him. We would prefer to handle this now, rather than at our first meeting in January. -
Did they tell you to wear the hat that way too? If you're going to wear an adjustable, why not wear it backward ? It doesn't get any uglier that way, lol. And it keeps your harness from catching on that lovely plastic adjustment strap !
-
A question for assigners, board members, directors, etc
Pete Peterson Sr replied to Pete Peterson Sr's topic in Free For All
He is substandard, even though we are told he has 26 years of experience. When he is given instruction, he is quick to explain WHY he did what he did, even though he wound up totally out of position, poached his partner's call, etc, rather than just listening and applying what he is told.. When I am working with a "new" umpire, I have to have their cooperation and willingness to learn. We (the leadership), get neither. He does not deal well with people, either, and at least a half-dozen umpires have asked to scratch him ( we have no official scratch procedure in place). He was scratched by three different middle school coaches last year, as well. At our HS district camp, I asked a trainer from another association to work with him, because he doesn't listen to me. I figured I would see how that went. After a few minutes, my friend came back to me and said "It's not just you, He won't listen to me, either". Now I don't think I am God's gift to the craft by any means, but I carry a great deal of weight locally, or so I am told. I have trained numerous guys who have gone on to be very successful umpires, in HS, and in college. Even so, if he wanted to climb the ladder in our association, he could always do what I am asking him to do, and then discuss it with another of our trainers/board members, if he thinks I am leading him astray. In short, in two years with us, he has made zero strides in improvement. And what gets me is, he retired at a relatively young age, and is available whenever he is needed. I have asked him several times to go to specific sites with me to observe some of our veterans, and he only did it once. I do not see any desire on his part to get better, and neither do any of my fellow board members. Pete, 26 years as an umpire doesn't mean you know how to umpire correctly. Either nobody told him he needed to improve or it is one of the old dog learning new tricks. I hate when I evaluate somebody and they want to argue with me. Man, if I told you something that would improve your game don't get attitude with me. I've been doing it right, going to clinics, not just for me but so that I might pass on some very good information to others in the high school unit. Plus, I have sat with Dale Williams so many times at games and just listened to him. He may be a little long winded at times, but he is spot on and would never try to steer you wrong. He really enjoys imparting his wisdom on others. He evaluated me once and had to get another pad of paper. Ha. Not that bad, but he went into great detail and I learned from it. I know...boy don't I know. When I wrote that, I should have emboldened AND italicized it. It was said sarcastically, but I didn't do anything to highlight that fact. He is the classic "1 year's experience, 26 times over", IF he indeed has been doing it that long. He does so little correctly that it is hard to imagine that he could have been at it this long. In my 10+ years on our board (in various positions), he is the first person we have ever had to "fire". We have an excellent reputation as a thorough training association. Ask Jocko about him, lol..... -
A question for assigners, board members, directors, etc
Pete Peterson Sr replied to Pete Peterson Sr's topic in Free For All
Great idea, grayhawk. The only problem is, the guy doesn't have VM set up on his phone !!! WTH ???? -
Continuing my weight loss. I dropped about 30 pounds this year, and boy did it make a difference. I still need to lose about 20 more; 40 according to my doctor, lol...
-
A question for assigners, board members, directors, etc
Pete Peterson Sr replied to Pete Peterson Sr's topic in Free For All
He is substandard, even though we are told he has 26 years of experience. When he is given instruction, he is quick to explain WHY he did what he did, even though he wound up totally out of position, poached his partner's call, etc, rather than just listening and applying what he is told.. When I am working with a "new" umpire, I have to have their cooperation and willingness to learn. We (the leadership), get neither. He does not deal well with people, either, and at least a half-dozen umpires have asked to scratch him ( we have no official scratch procedure in place). He was scratched by three different middle school coaches last year, as well. At our HS district camp, I asked a trainer from another association to work with him, because he doesn't listen to me. I figured I would see how that went. After a few minutes, my friend came back to me and said "It's not just you, He won't listen to me, either". Now I don't think I am God's gift to the craft by any means, but I carry a great deal of weight locally, or so I am told. I have trained numerous guys who have gone on to be very successful umpires, in HS, and in college. Even so, if he wanted to climb the ladder in our association, he could always do what I am asking him to do, and then discuss it with another of our trainers/board members, if he thinks I am leading him astray. In short, in two years with us, he has made zero strides in improvement. And what gets me is, he retired at a relatively young age, and is available whenever he is needed. I have asked him several times to go to specific sites with me to observe some of our veterans, and he only did it once. I do not see any desire on his part to get better, and neither do any of my fellow board members. -
The executive board of my association has decided to not "renew" a returning umpire for the 2014 season (no, Jocko, it isn't you). My question is two-fold: First, what criteria did you use in making this decision, and secondly, how was this message delivered ? Was it done in person, by phone, or by mail ? We have tried in vain to contact this gentleman on the phone, to arrange a meeting, and are considering sending him a registered letter.
-
No wide sizes. The story of my life....
-
Wussification.... SMFH. Buster Posey is as good an example of why there should be a rule as any other. The kid lost a season off of his career, but I guess that's unimportant, huh ? Get of the macho trip, and recognize that serious injuries aren't in the best interest of any sport.
-
Chad Krueter almost died from a home plate collision. He blocked the plate and walked away, but the next day while taking a shower at home he collapsed. It turns out he had internal bleeding from the collision. Get rid of that collision. There is no need for it and it is in no way wussifying the game. I don't think it is macho to hurt another player. I won't umpire MSBL just because a fifty year old man thinks it is important to break up a double play by wiping out the middle infielder. What the hell does it matter that the player may become so injured that he is no longer able to provide for his family? There is no need at all for a home plate collision. NONE! From the MSBL website: The rules committee is concerned about possible unnecessary and violent collisions that may occur with the catcher at home plate, and with infielders at all bases. The intent of this rule is to encourage base runners and defensive players to avoid such collisions whenever possible. a. When there is a collision between a runner and a fielder who clearly is in possession of the ball, the umpire shall judge: (1) Whether the collision by the runner was avoidable (could the runner have reached the base without colliding) or unavoidable (the runner’s path to the base was blocked) or (2) Whether the runner actually was attempting to reach the base (plate) or attempting to dislodge the ball from the fielder. PENALTY—If the runner, a) could have avoided the collision and reached the base, or b) attempted to dislodge the ball, the runner shall be declared out even if the fielder loses possession of the ball. The ball is dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. (3) If the fielder blocks the path of the base runner to the base (plate), the runner may make contact or slide into, a fielder as long as the runner is making a legitimate attempt to reach the base or plate. (4) If the collision by the runner was flagrant, the runner shall be declared out and also ejected from the contest. The ball shall be declared dead.
-
I do not see malicious contact. No obvious intent to injure. I do not see obstruction, due to the position of the ball, relative to the baserunner. If someone were to EJ the runner for unsporting conduct, I could muster some support for that position. I personally do not think I would EJ, but rather have a stern word with the offending party, and likely his HC, also. Any perceived retaliation would result in immediate (if not sooner) disqualification from the game.
