-
Posts
1,078 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
12
Everything posted by Pete Peterson Sr
-
coming from a coach in a youth baseball game: "I used to/currently umpire", or " I coach (fill-in the blank) ball. Both annoy the snot out of me, but what about y'all ?
-
Adult flag football is no better, for what it's worth. One of my friends worked one season in a local league. Says he will NEVER make that mistake again.
-
Pete Jr has several tattoos on his arms, but he has a pair of flesh-colored sleeves to wear over them during HS and College games. He was selected in 2013 to work the state HS finals, and his college assigner has no problem with them, as long as he wears his sleeves.
-
Wierdest thing to Happen on Field?
Pete Peterson Sr replied to MB_Ump's topic in Off-Topic/Funny Stories
Isn't "his" name Satan, and "devil" is merely his position ? -
I've seen these used in 12u and younger games - I didn't even think about it as being a two-piece. In the future, I will no longer say that FED doesn't allow F2 to wear a two-piece, I'll simply say that the helmet must be NOCSAE approved and cover F2 ears (or something like that). Redundant. To be NOCSAE approved it must cover the ears. NFHS has the their Department of Redundancy Department edit each rule before publication.
-
Cost effectiveness or environmental impact ...not and...choose one or the other, you can't have both...have you considered solid-fuel? The only argument really worth discussing is pipes: Whitney Houston, Alicia Keys or my sentimental favorite Judy Garland. Norah Jones > anyone on that list.
-
I have no idea what that sentence means. It means that if you cannot work a game without worrying about what is said in the stands, then you should consider a part-time gig at Walmart.
-
I'll take C: The hot air from some of the more argumentative types around this board......
-
I like to think of those rule thingees as suggestions. And it shows.
-
Deleted.
-
http://www.closecallsports.com/2013/10/mlb-umpire-wally-bell-dead-at-48.html How terribly sad.
-
Illegal bat ? Ding ding ding! I'll take "Reasons for ejection", for $400 next, please Alex......
-
I exit through the same gate I entered. I don't care what mood the team through whose dugout I am exiting is in. I call a game fair and square, and walk out with my head up. To me, to exit through the winning team's side looks as if you are trying to duck someone. After a particularly contentious game, I once suggested to Pete Jr that we exit through the first base gate. That was met with "You taught me to leave the way I came in, and we will do just that". Hard to argue with what the kid was taught.... I do a quick scan of the stands, and the side with the most milfs is the side I go out : Dude looks as if he's having a seizure.....
-
I exit through the same gate I entered. I don't care what mood the team through whose dugout I am exiting is in. I call a game fair and square, and walk out with my head up. To me, to exit through the winning team's side looks as if you are trying to duck someone. After a particularly contentious game, I once suggested to Pete Jr that we exit through the first base gate. That was met with "You taught me to leave the way I came in, and we will do just that". Hard to argue with what the kid was taught....
-
I never called that coach an asshole. I called him a prick. BIG difference.
-
No offense, but coaches don't give a RIP about getting the call right unless it's in THEIR favor. How many times have we seen MLB managers storm out of their dugout after a call was changed - getting it right - just because it ended up going against them? Plenty. This. Right here. This post. Truer words have seldom been said.
-
Dugout restriction: A new term for "delayed ejection". (In most cases)
-
Beginners Luck Don't bet on it....
-
I'm not feeling with rats, regardless of the situation.... Good toss.He proved he was not interested in participating in that day's activities any longer....
-
I tried the hammer for one season, but it seemed to screw with my timing, so I returned to the point. Been a loyal pointer ever since....
-
He did not disagree. It was hard to disagree with these. The kid didn't even come close to stopping. The mgr. didn't even argue. He just kept telling F1 to pause, and the kid just didn't get it. I'm not a hard ass at this level when it comes to calling balks. I don't nitpick, but during the pregame, I always remind the coaches that we will call balks for not stopping and that it's important that you remind your pitcher. Just curious to know why you do this. I don't see any reason to discuss what/how we will be calling in any aspect of the game. The exception would be how the feint to third will be handled, since coaches rarely seem to know what ruleset is being used. I just think telling them what kind of balks will be called opens a can of worms. If you then don't call one in the game, they have ammo to complain (not that they usually need ammo) In some of these tournaments, particularly in age groups such as 13U, coaches will invariably ask, "Are we calling balks right away or is there a warning?" I just let them know we will be calling balks and that the most common balk we see with 13U is pitchers not coming set. I don't always pre-game it, but if the coaches ask about balks, I let them know that this is the one we see the most. I never really considered why I do it, it just seemed like it made sense. I also let them know that the fake to third will be called since we play MLB ruleset. I guess I shouldn't have said I "always" remind the coach because it doesn't always happen, but it often comes up. Purpose of a plate meeting: To get the coaches names and give them ours. To exchange lineup cards.To discuss any relevant ground rules. To ask if all players are properly equipped (if required).For coin toss (if required). Notice that rules clinic isn't mentioned in my list. I would no more tell a coach, in a plate meeting, what will be called a balk than I would tell him where my strike zone is. YMMV.
-
Except you point to first base, lol.....
-
The messed up part is the parents are threatening to sue the victim in this mess. Way to teach personal responsibility, parents.....
