Jump to content

yawetag

Members
  • Posts

    3,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    76

Everything posted by yawetag

  1. yawetag

    interference

    The runner would be out for the interference. If the umpire feels the interference prevented a double play, then batter-runner would also be out; if not, the batter-runner is awarded 1B.
  2. If the contact was on purpose, you have interference. If not, you have nothing.
  3. Shhhhhhhhhhh.....
  4. I'll be interested in some of this. I'll post my list this evening - need to check my current library for books that I think I own already. Others are free to poach until then, though. If you have anything for volleyball, let me know by PM (or here) -- I'll probably take those, too.
  5. In fairness, a whole bunch of kids have now been trained on how to not treat an official at a sporting event.
  6. Nice! My first few years, I worked a local rec league. One day, the visiting team failed to show, so the home team spent the time practicing. Because I had nowhere to be, I stayed and helped out the players in learning some rules, particularly in balks as the next year would be the first with penalties for balks. Also helped some hitters in learning how to bunt as that was my specialty when I played through high school. As we were finishing up, one of the pitchers commented how he could strike me out. I took the challenge, and on the second pitch hit my first career home run.
  7. The happy medium is to allow runners to only advance to the base they were attempting when the ball reaches the infield. No further. No sending back if they're not halfway (or 3/4 of the way), no throwing to a random infielder.
  8. Are you wanting to sell all together, or can I piece it out?
  9. That's the dumbest rule I've ever heard - and I work Fed baseball. R1 tries to advance to 3B on a clean hit to F9. F9 attempts to throw him out, but airmails it over F5's head as R1 is 10 feet from 3B. You kill it and send R1 back to 2B? I hope the pay is worth it, cause no way in hell am I dealing with (1) those rules or (2) the (a) coaches, (b) players, (c) and parents who complain when I enforce them.
  10. If they only have 2 games a week and each game takes 2 hours, it's possible she uses her breaks for the whole week for those two games. Also, at least one might fall on her day off. She may also work for an agency that doesn't mind her "working" a bit during this time. Some areas are slow enough that hanging out at a ball field for an hour or so in the week is possible, but still being available for anything big. In the town I lived before moving, one of the officers' full-time gig was "community policing", and all he did was go to different businesses, schools, and events, just to talk to the people and be "the face" for the department. In short, unless her superiors aren't allowing it or she's avoiding some type of work to do it, I don't have a reason to be upset that she's taking the time to do it.
  11. Didn't know we had an app for the forums. Will check it out this weekend.
  12. Interesting rule. What happens if a player is advancing between bases when the ball makes it to the infield? What's considered "in the infield"? Does it require an infielder to have possession, or just that the ball is in the confines of the "infield"? What's the definition of "infield"?
  13. Police officers work different shifts than 9-5. Her "lunch break" might have been 6-7pm.
  14. yawetag

    Scoring

    Yes, the run scores. This play is not a "force out". It's an appeal of a runner. Live ball appeals are time plays, which mean runners who touch home before the appeal is completed will have their run count.
  15. What does this mean?
  16. Ah. I misread the sentence you quoted. You're right.
  17. I think all these situations are perfect examples of umpiring with the book, not by the book. My feeling is that the original rule was written to prevent some asshole from refusing to take a base award and having someone do it for them. Not to stop a hurt player from getting treated or forcing them to work through an injury to touch bases. Maybe I'm wrong, but calling a kid (or an adult, for that matter) out for walking to the dugout to get medical attention is a gross misapplication of the rules.
  18. I didn't realize NCAA softball referred to the players as "him". Seems like a sport that's predominately played by women at the collegiate level would have "she / her" as the pronouns in the rulebook.
  19. "The glance" I referred to was making sure I wasn't sharing a call with my partner, typically when he's supposed to rotate to 3B and I didn't hear him tell me he was there.
  20. At least the town's getting some extra energy from the wind farm.
  21. Seems like the textbook place to give warnings to the pitcher and both benches.
  22. This is a "When in Rome" mechanic. Where I worked before had no mechanic, so I stood on the "in the field" side - keeps me away from moving metal. Current organization wants us on "up to bat" side - closer to the batter to let them know there's 2 pitches remaining. I've got no strong opinion on either, so I'll do what I'm told.
  23. It's only been the past few years that high school moved away from innings and went to a pitch count.
  24. Fed: 3.2.2 SITUATION A: B1 hits a home run out of the park and, while rounding third, trips over the base. The third-base coach helps B1 to his feet. RULING: The ball is dead and, since B1 is awarded four bases for the home run, he is allowed to score with this type of assistance by the third-base coach. Andrew's Rule: Who the F*#K cares? Count the run.
  25. Crazy how I had the exact same attitude as you going into this year's HS season. I hadn't done it in over two years; I missed it, but not as much as I thought I would. And, until I hurt my back, whatever I got was what I worked. Now that I'm seeing I can't be on the field again, I still don't feel sad at all. Loved the years I did it, wish I could have done more (and better levels), but don't regret what I did do. As for the forum update, if you need any help on it and need some tech guy to look at it, I'd be happy to see what I can do. I was out of the website/programming gig for many years, but getting back into it recently. I don't know what type of package you're running here and how easily it can be migrated if needed, but I wouldn't mind being a part of that team if you need some minds.
×
×
  • Create New...