Little League (Intermediate) - Play at the Plate

Brunswick Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2187 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

LL Intermediate game (12-13 YOs) - I'm PU.

Bases loaded; 1 out.  Ball hit slowly between F1 and 1B foul line. F1 fields and comes home trying to get R3.

• Throw pulls F2 to right of home plate - foot now off plate.
  • F2 gloves the throw and now (for whatever reason) tries to tag R3
  • In trying to tag R3 - F2 (quite inadvertently - but I know it doesn't matter) - steps on the plate
  • R3 arrives at plate standing at almost the exact time that F2 steps on the plate AND attempts to tag R3.
  • R3 (non-intentionally) in process of scoring runs into F2's glove and ball comes loose.

I got R3 safe - as 1) ball must be controlled through a tag of the player or a base; and 2) "slide or attempt to get around" is not applicable here as it was a bang/bang play - and F2 was not waiting to make a tag. 

D - coach tried to argue the mythical must slide; and that the plate tag preceded the dropped ball.

Did I get it right? 

Also - "waiting to make a tag" is a bit subjective - what do you all consider "waiting"?

Thanks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Brunswick Blue said:

R3 arrives at plate standing at almost the exact time that F2 steps on the plate

One had to come first. Did F2 step on the plate before R3 got there? In that case I have a force out. The tag attempt would be irrelevant. 

3 hours ago, Brunswick Blue said:

In trying to tag R3 - F2 (quite inadvertently - but I know it doesn't matter) - steps on the plate

Out. You're right: inadvertent doesn't matter, and you seem to think the tag happened before the touch.

The ball came out because the runner ran into the fielder. Although you're right if the ball comes out as a result of the tag of base or runner, that's not what you had.

The fielder had secure possession and tagged the base. The contact was secondary, because the runner came in standing. The force of the tag did not jar the ball loose.

Out.

I agree, out because of the tag of the base.

As for waiting, not even the LL Rules & Instruction Manual clarifies.  I have always taken it to mean "sufficient time that the runner can actually react by sliding or attempting to get around" which is a really HTBT ruling.  (Don't take the quote phrase as authoritative; just using quotes to delineate my reasoning).   I don't think I would have it as you describe--I think this a out and a train wreck.