TW WV Platinum...What is it worth?

BillKen
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2858 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have a friend who has a WVP with the Team Wendy retro (1 year old) and a System 7 harness and he is thinking of getting out of baseball.  He asked me what he could get for his CP.  I told him that I'd ask around here and see if any had been sold or if anyone was looking.  I know he has about $300 in it.  I don't want bids...just what you would be willing to pay or what you've seen others pay now that the TW fit is no longer available.

5 hours ago, gnhbua93 said:

I would say $350 - $400. But for way less than that a Force3 chest protector is the best option.

Don't want to hijack the thread but the F3 shoulder protection has always seemed a big light to me but I've never seen the CP up close. You have one right? How are the shoulder caps?

8 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

My suggestion to you and anyone who want to hear is buy it with confidence.

And you are correct.  I took a foul ball to the shoulder off a 95 mph fastball, (radar gun verified), and it did it's job splendidly.  I never had any problems with V1's shoulder caps either.  Buy a Force 3 V2, you'll be glad you did.

I have a Gold with team Wendy retro fit. I bought the Force 3 after I messed up my gold by spraying to much Odoban on it, I have since washed TW pads and Gold is fine now. I bought this Force 3 as a backup and used it in 10-20 games. I took a foul ball in the Force3 and felt a very sharp pressure and it scared me. I have never felt anything on the gold, it is rock solid. I ended up selling the Force3. Others swear by it, but for me I couldn't get over the fact that I felt a shot at 70mph. I wasn't comfortable using it in higher level games I call. To each their own, the version 2 has me curious along with no more Team Wendy Retrofit

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dl1340 said:

I have a Gold with team Wendy retro fit. I bought the Force 3 after I messed up my gold by spraying to much Odoban on it, I have since washed TW pads and Gold is fine now. I bought this Force 3 as a backup and used it in 10-20 games. I took a foul ball in the Force3 and felt a very sharp pressure and it scared me. I have never felt anything on the gold, it is rock solid. I ended up selling the Force3. Others swear by it, but for me I couldn't get over the fact that I felt a shot at 70mph. I wasn't comfortable using it in higher level games I call. To each their own, the version 2 has me curious along with no more Team Wendy Retrofit

Do we have a member who is a Sports Psychologist?

I hope so

3 hours ago, mbkcoach said:

Will the retrofit west vest be more rare than the Riddell power now?

I hope so. I am holding on to mine. WVG TW ...When my creer is done we will see what it's worth is then.

• 4 weeks later...
On May 24, 2016 at 10:39 AM, spiffdawg7 said:

I sold a Gold with brand new Team Wendy retro and system 7 harness for $400. 

$400....I now have a simular setup with a ump life harness...I won't sell mine until I retire in a few years but will make sure it stays in pristine condition for such a future paydate....Wow

• Like 1

How much is it worth without the system 7 harness?  I have one with the standard WV harness that might be for sale.  I had it retrofitted lbefore last season.  Wore it one month (the coll / cold month of April) before I got hurt and was out for the season.  Wore it this may before I got hurt and am done for the season.  I think the fates are trying to tell me something.

And, how much is an original, unworn Douglas worth?  I forget the exact length, but I can measure.  I ordered it when they were having their "going out of business" sale a few years ago.

A DeltaFlex is $28 and a new Douglas is $190. Work down from there. 

I know of some knucklehead who paid five bills for a Riddell/TW, so use that as some sort of benchmark, if you'd like. 

I also recall +POS SUL masks going for over $200, at some point, and now you can't give them away. Just keep that in mind, too. Just because something's cool, or collectible now, doesn't mean it will be in the future. 

On 6/25/2016 at 1:03 PM, kylejt said:

I also recall +POS SUL masks going for over $200, at some point, and now you can't give them away. Just keep that in mind, too. Just because something's cool, or collectible now, doesn't mean it will be in the future. 

While that general sentiment can be true, the reason the SUL masks can't be given away now is that because they have a nasty tendency to explode when hit (I'm sure you are aware).

I do remember when those things were all the rage in our Little League group, along with the BB3000 (?) CP they sold that looked like armor plating.

For the time being, I think the TW Platinum would fetch a decent premium due to unavailability. I don't think $350-$400 is far outside the realm of possibility.

58 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

The only thing NOT available anymore is the TW retrofit ....

TW= $130 shipped

WVP=$140 .... brand new (ump-attire)

That's $270 value never worn ........   $350-400 ..... nawwwww

Supply and demand... When supply is high, price goes down.  Supply has been SHARPLY curtailed, so prices will rise above the "base" cost.

If TW were still retrofitting the CPs I would agree with you, but since that option is no longer available, up, up they go.

Just now, conbo61 said:

Supply and demand... When supply is high, price goes down.  Supply has been SHARPLY curtailed, so prices will rise above the "base" cost.

If TW were still retrofitting the CPs I would agree with you, but since that option is no longer available, up, up they go.

that may be true in a perfect economic world ....I'm saying "nawwwww" because I wouldn't pay that, ...that's all ;) 

• Like 1