The Ump XL

I finally found an XL of these and replaced all the rivets (except the arms) with Chicago screws. I added two clips by feeding seatbelt webbing through the opening under the plastic plates. 

I added strap holders to the CP and put an F3 harness on it that I had lying around here.

They’re actually pretty good protection and maybe 1/2” thick. The breadth across the chest is preferred by me as it’s perfect coverage from armpit to armpit. No baseball can get in there unlike other “winged” CP’s.

They are a bit warm, but then very few CP’s aren’t.

Made in USA!🇺🇸 

IMG_8060.jpeg

IMG_8061.jpeg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, concertman1971 said:

(in my best David Lee Roth Voice) "I can barely see the road from the heat coming off"

You would be a fan of that song; David Lee goes on to bemuse… doing something that is much more in ThighPro’s wheelhouse than ever this here – or any – vintage CP. 🥵

19 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

They’re actually pretty good protection and maybe 1/2” thick.

Just as effective as a Gold, yet easily half the thickness / raw bulk. They’re dense, granted. Solid. Ya know how Carlucci’s have that bespoke, tailored quality to them, like a Ferrari or Maserati? The UMP is like a truly American car from that classic time period, like a Buick, or Ford. Maybe that’s why they’re (navy) blue. 🤔 

Lookatthat main torso piece. I can’t unsee a recycling bin lid. A big part of that is that oversized rectangular relief, looking for a purpose… I believe, wholeheartedly, that that was where the MLB logo was going to be placed. “Oh, yah think yer sooooo special, Willy, fer ya little logo right there? Feast yer eyes, on this!!” 

I love it. You’ve done an absolute smashing job with it. Bravo! 

… now, I think Jeff @Thunderheads should wear it, at least once, on his farewell tour! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

You would be a fan of that song; David Lee goes on to bemuse… doing something that is much more in ThighPro’s wheelhouse than ever this here – or any – vintage CP. 🥵

Just as effective as a Gold, yet easily half the thickness / raw bulk. They’re dense, granted. Solid. Ya know how Carlucci’s have that bespoke, tailored quality to them, like a Ferrari or Maserati? The UMP is like a truly American car from that classic time period, like a Buick, or Ford. Maybe that’s why they’re (navy) blue. 🤔 

Lookatthat main torso piece. I can’t unsee a recycling bin lid. A big part of that is that oversized rectangular relief, looking for a purpose… I believe, wholeheartedly, that that was where the MLB logo was going to be placed. “Oh, yah think yer sooooo special, Willy, fer ya little logo right there? Feast yer eyes, on this!!” 

I love it. You’ve done an absolute smashing job with it. Bravo! 

… now, I think Jeff @Thunderheads should wear it, at least once, on his farewell tour! 

LOL, sorry I missed your call yesterday. I need to add some LocTite to the screws so they don't back out, but then he's welcome to wear it! :)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I finally found an XL of these and replaced all the rivets (except the arms) with Chicago screws. I added two clips by feeding seatbelt webbing through the opening under the plastic plates. 

I added strap holders to the CP and put an F3 harness on it that I had lying around here.

They’re actually pretty good protection and maybe 1/2” thick. The breadth across the chest is preferred by me as it’s perfect coverage from armpit to armpit. No baseball can get in there unlike other “winged” CP’s.

They are a bit warm, but then very few CP’s aren’t.

Made in USA!🇺🇸 

IMG_8060.jpeg

IMG_8061.jpeg

It's the '90s Macintosh font on the chest extension that clinches it for me.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

What method did you use to remove the old rivets?

I’ll let @wolfe_man answer with his own method… but I’m partial to using a vice-grip (long-nosed) to immobilize it while I take a cobalt drill bit to destroy the flared “underside” of the rivet. Careful, they tend to get hot. Then just push ‘em out. 

Now… 

giphy.gif

IS ANYONE GOING TO ADDRESS THAT WE HAVE A @grayhawk SIGHTING??!!! 

HI 👋🏼!!!!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

What method did you use to remove the old rivets?

Hi.  I used the drill 'em out method.  I push the CP down tight to something hard (or the earth works too) and then drill them out carefully.   As Max says, they will get hot so don't be in a hurry to touch them as soon as they come out.  Many times they'll get stuck on your drill bit, so you have to use pliers to take them off it.  It's pretty easy and quick.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MadMax said:

I’ll let @wolfe_man answer with his own method… but I’m partial to using a vice-grip (long-nosed) to immobilize it while I take a cobalt drill bit to destroy the flared “underside” of the rivet. Careful, they tend to get hot. Then just push ‘em out. 

Now… 

IS ANYONE GOING TO ADDRESS THAT WE HAVE A @grayhawk SIGHTING??!!! 

HI 👋🏼!!!!!

Hey there! Yes, I have been away for...well, for a long time. It's great to see many of the same names here!

I'm thinking of retrofitting my All Star S7 with new, thinner padding and also replacing a bunch of rusting rivets. I figure if I'm going to do it right, there's no better place than UE to get some tips. Now I need to find the right size Chicago screws, or purchase a riveting tool.

• Like 2