Umpire plate helmet

The Ripper

19 minutes ago, Lou B said:

Do an internet search on "umpire skull cap", there are several styles/manufacturers.  Pick one you like!

It does not pull up the same Rawlings Plate helmet. Already tried, not the same. They are rare, only MLB and MILB guys have them or are the only ones I seen with them.

3 hours ago, ousafe said:

Isn't that just the Rawlings Coolflo base coach skull cap, in matte black?  Usually the MLB guys remove the helmet with the mask, so clearing a bigger brim isn't an issue.  Fwiw, the coolflo is available on Amazon pretty cheap. 

A bigger brim just lets the tighter mast transfer the force from it to your 8 stitch brim. Looks good though. 

11 hours ago, ousafe said:

Isn't that just the Rawlings Coolflo base coach skull cap, in matte black?  Usually the MLB guys remove the helmet with the mask, so clearing a bigger brim isn't an issue.  Fwiw, the coolflo is available on Amazon pretty cheap. 

Curious about technique on that …

13 hours ago, UmpWRB4 said:

Already tried, not the same. They are rare, only MLB and MILB guys have them or are the only ones I seen with them.

Hint: MLB owns “half” of Rawlings. 

The MLB guys have access to items you and I commoners never will. And won’t, because no one thinks us a profitable market (at least that’s what Wilson tells ‘em). 

With that said, I have a hunch that if I asked you, “Why not an All-Star Skully”, or one of the All-Star -made skullcaps / earless batting helmets… I can already anticipate the response. 🫣

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tpatience said:

I use the evoshield skully and I love it.

Which mask is your primary? 

For us in the amateur ranks, the FM4000 Steel & Magnesium models (as well as the Rampage Magnesium, TBH) present a complication, because their forehead volume is brief. It’s a challenge to wear a 6-stitch cleanly, without contact between frame and hat bill. A 4-stitch is more in order. 

Well, the All-Star Skully has that briefer bill ideally suited for these magnesium masks. 

… it just… still… has the con-cushion turned the wrong direction!!! :smachhead: 😫

38 minutes ago, MadMax said:

For us in the amateur ranks, the FM4000 Steel & Magnesium models (as well as the Rampage Magnesium, TBH) present a complication, because their forehead volume is brief. It’s a challenge to wear a 6-stitch cleanly, without contact between frame and hat bill. A 4-stitch is more in order. 

Well, the All-Star Skully has that briefer bill ideally suited for these magnesium masks. 

… it just… still… has the con-cushion turned the wrong direction!!! :smachhead: 😫

I did use a regular skull cap at season's end this year and it's just as good as the AS Skully in my humble opinion for most masks.   If you wear a Mag, you may want to stay with a short brimmed skull cap (ala Skully) but otherwise, most full frame masks are just as good with the regular skull caps (Rawlings, Evoshield, Wilson, All Star, etc)... and pro tip: a normal skull cap is cheaper than an umpire skull cap.

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

and pro tip: a normal skull cap is cheaper than an umpire skull cap.

Of course it is! 

Same goes for hats. I can get a plain black ballcap (Richardson, even!), embroidered with a custom set of letters, or vector artwork for less $$$ than these New Era -brand hats we had to purchase for… certain associations. 

1 minute ago, MadMax said:

Of course it is! 

Same goes for hats. I can get a plain black ballcap (Richardson, even!), embroidered with a custom set of letters, or vector artwork for less $$$ than these New Era -brand hats we had to purchase for… certain associations. 

:ranton:I have some umpire socks for sale.. and an umpire leg guard... and an umpire shirt (same as regular socks, guards, shirt, etc.  but it's especially for umpires with only a small 30% mark up).  :rantoff:😈:stir

Why do we, as the consumers, keep allowing companies to do this to us? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/14/2023 at 6:08 PM, ousafe said:

Isn't that just the Rawlings Coolflo base coach skull cap, in matte black? 

Is that what Tumpane and Estabrooks are wearing in the pictures? 

Does anyone know if those helmets are in fact the Rawlings Coolflo base coach helmets?

Just curious if there is consensus on this.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 12:43 PM, MadMax said:

I use the mizuno steel primarily 

• Thanks 1