Base Shoes: Going Out on a Limb...

834k3r

I saw an MLB game earlier this year, where one of the base umpires (U3, if memory serves) was wearing shiny (patent) black Air Jordans. My son (he's a shoe fan, especially of Jordans) helped my identify them.

Found a pair on ebay that I'm going to try out next season:

image.thumb.jpeg.5fd97b1699bcda3ea5910430736cfacc.jpeg

Thoughts?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I’ve thought about same pair. My only concern is the tread on real grass fields when wet.

I thought about that too, but tried on a pair of my son’s (his are red and white mid-cuts, but identical tread pattern) then went onto my front lawn after the sprinkler system turned off. Stomped down and tried to slide, tried to slide my foot from planted; couldn’t get my foot to slide in either case. I think they’ll be okay.

Worst case scenario:  in real world situations they don’t work well, and I go back to my NB shoes I have now.

• Like 1

I thought about that too, but tried on a pair of my son’s (his are red and white mid-cuts, but identical tread pattern) then went onto my front lawn after the sprinkler system turned off. Stomped down and tried to slide, tried to slide my foot from planted; couldn’t get my foot to slide in either case. I think they’ll be okay.
Worst case scenario:  in real world situations they don’t work well, and I go back to my NB shoes I have now.
But did they squeak like on a gym floor? Just curious....

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, blue32 said:

Picked up a pair of these this summer and like them a lot:

NIKE Unisex Air Max 270 Golf Shoes | TGW.com

Several of my pro and amateur colleagues have picked these up, too, and love them. 

The only thing working against them is the (oppressively) high heat of the American southwest, potentially manifesting in popped air bladders either from field surface temperatures, or from “baking” them in your car while in, say, plate shoes. 

One more thing in favor of cooled changing / locker / storage rooms at game venues. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 7/28/2023 at 5:42 PM, wolfe_man said:

I’ve thought about same pair. My only concern is the tread on real grass fields when wet.

I finally got to use these on a wet field yesterday. Game was suspended (2 1/2 innings) and the rain was pretty constant. I had zero issues with traction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I  am on my 2nd version of the Nike Roshe Golf shoe. Hands down the most comfortable base shoe I have worn. Traction is a 10/10

image.png.dfdaacb3fb44d5130f45ad0fe456f73f.png

When the weather is REALLY wet, I bust out the TW 13 retros and the kids are impressed....LOL. Waterproof, easy to clean, and Traction is 100/10.

image.png.641501f48428fd1856047373c7c790c2.png

• Like 1