Jump to content

Dumb ballbag question...


Scissors

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, lawump said:

Whatever the size of the difference, this difference can pucker an umpire's cheeks faster than anything else:

All I know is that one day I went to rub up the baseballs before my plate job and instead of them reading, "New York-Penn League," they read "American League".  I asked the clubby what was up.  His reply was, "you didn't hear?  Gooden has a rehab start tonight."

And that's how I found out (through the label on a baseball) that I was umpiring my first game with an actual MLB pitcher.  Talk about not being able to fit a pinhead up my a$$!  

Good thing it wasn't a super star pitcher or anything! GOOD LORD!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Good thing it wasn't a super star pitcher or anything! GOOD LORD!

Let's just say I learned what the term, "big league curveball," means.  It's also the day when I truly learned why they stress timing so much at umpire school when teaching plate mechanics.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, lawump said:

Whatever the size of the difference, this difference can pucker an umpire's cheeks faster than anything else:

All I know is that one day I went to rub up the baseballs before my plate job and instead of them reading, "New York-Penn League," they read "American League".  I asked the clubby what was up.  His reply was, "you didn't hear?  Gooden has a rehab start tonight."

And that's how I found out (through the label on a baseball) that I was umpiring my first game with an actual MLB pitcher.  Talk about not being able to fit a pinhead up my a$$!  

article in the paper the next day said you were calling by sound.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2021 at 7:56 PM, lawump said:

"I don't know, but it sure sounded good!"

I’m not trying to one-up @lawump at all. He’s probably seen measurably more HV pitches than me… 

Fastest I’ve ever been a PU for was 101 MPH, dealt by the then-AA prospect for a club based on the south side of the third largest city in the USA. I’ll admit… I would have been mortified save for two factors – one was the Latino catcher in front of me who was built like a tank, and I had caught in a farm club bullpen when I was 18 (I wasn’t part of the roster; merely a guest HS kid catching in the bullpen to spell the rostered catchers (it was a different time in the 90s)), and had caught what I was told was 95-96. Still, it’s absolutely surreal. 

Most impressive pitch sequence I’ve ever been a PU on was for a club based in the Midwest USA at a city that spans into two states across a big river. First pitch came in, I balled it as inside. Catcher asked “by how much?” I replied, “Just off”. Next pitch came in, same velocity, same spot, and I kid you not – it was perhaps a 1/2 inch towards the plate, enough to skim the black/white line. “stREEEEEEK” I delivered, with the batter looking back ever so slightly, “Did he adjust?” “Yup,” I replied, “that’s the edge”. The next pitch came in at the same spot, this time you could tell the velocity was different. Batter got his hands to it, but grounded out to 3B. 

3 pitches, all at 92+ MPH, and all 3 within a tight grouping like that. It’s the consistency that’s so impressive. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MadMax said:

I’m not trying to one-up @lawump at all. He’s probably seen measurably more HV pitches than me… 

Fastest I’ve ever been a PU for was 101 MPH, dealt by the then-AA prospect for a club based on the south side of the third largest city in the USA. I’ll admit… I would have been mortified save for two factors – one was the Latino catcher in front of me who was built like a tank, and I had caught in a farm club bullpen when I was 18 (I wasn’t part of the roster; merely a guest HS kid catching in the bullpen to spell the rostered catchers (it was a different time in the 90s)), and had caught what I was told was 95-96. Still, it’s absolutely surreal. 

Most impressive pitch sequence I’ve ever been a PU on was for a club based in the Midwest USA at a city that spans into two states across a big river. First pitch came in, I balled it as inside. Catcher asked “by how much?” I replied, “Just off”. Next pitch came in, same velocity, same spot, and I kid you not – it was perhaps a 1/2 inch towards the plate, enough to skim the black/white line. “stREEEEEEK” I delivered, with the batter looking back ever so slightly, “Did he adjust?” “Yup,” I replied, “that’s the edge”. The next pitch came in at the same spot, this time you could tell the velocity was different. Batter got his hands to it, but grounded out to 3B. 

3 pitches, all at 92+ MPH, and all 3 within a tight grouping like that. It’s the consistency that’s so impressive. 

pick me, pick me, pick me, ew, ew, ew, pick me, says little johnny for the first part. here is the 101 mph list. A.J. Burnett, Rob Dibble, Kyle Farnsworth, Eric Gagne, Ubaldo Jimenez, Tim Lincecum, Jose Mesa, Seth McClung, Guillermo Mota, Tony Pena, Billy Wagner. And the winner is.

I am going with Rob Dibble. Apparently, from old ariticles, he also had a nasty (isn't that his nickname) slider to go with that fastball. hope you got to see that, sounds neat.

gee, and you remember when the old plates had that black around them. don't tell anybody.

and whats the old joke about accountants and engineers. if you line up 10 feet from a girl that wants to kiss you, and you her, and you make her keep walking half the distance towards you, the accountant says she will never make it. the engineer knows when it doesn't make any difference anyway.

       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...