Runner passes another runner.

mrumpiresir
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1033 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

22 answers to this question

The 2013 Wendelstedt manual says this about one runner passing another (p. 161):

Passing by a runner occurs when a following runner completely passes (with his core body) a preceding runner while running along the baselines. It does not matter which runner actually does the passing, only that they physically passed one another.

Entire torso, 4/5 torso, 3/4 torso...man, I don't know how some of you folks can officiate like that, even assuming you have the proper angle. I'd need a laser, protractor, plumb bob, calipers.... As they say, sometimes, you just gotta umpire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, LRZ said:

Entire torso, 4/5 torso, 3/4 torso...man, I don't know how some of you folks can officiate like that, even assuming you have the proper angle. I'd need a laser, protractor, plumb bob, calipers.... As they say, sometimes, you just gotta umpire.

Yeah - it's all good with instant replay and photo finish technology...in real time with the naked eye, it better be obvious.

1 hour ago, LRZ said:

You'd better see daylight between them. 

11 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

No need to worry about 20 foot flowing locks of hair I guess.

Now, that would make it easy.

In that case, as long as the entire frosted tips had somewhat mostly passed (even slightly), it doesn't matter where the dark roots are showing.  So then, the question is, how far down the hair did the player have his hairdresser frost it?  THAT is the magic point.  On Tuesdays.  In the Southern Hemisphere.  In countries that have more than two "A"s in their name (as determined by their native language, not English).  (Crediting that citation to an e-mail between Herb Friday and an unnamed Red Sox executive who may or may not have hacked into the e-mails of the Chicago Tornadoes professional cricket team.)  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LRZ said:

8 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

You'd better see daylight between them. 

If you are seeing daylight between 3/4 of his torso and 4/5 of his torso, I think you have other problems to worry about.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

If you are seeing daylight between 3/4 of his torso and 4/5 of his torso, I think you have other problems to worry about.

You misinterpreted. It means be sure the runner is completely past, hence making a space for daylight to pass through.

• Sad 1

The problem with abbreviated answers--of which I am often guilty--is that they are often cryptic. "Completely passes" focuses on the runners; "seeing daylight" provides a less clear or objective standard, seemingly focused on the umpire's POV.

So ... the joke is out because the complete and 75% of total approximate midpoint (meaning the whole thing) of the tip passed him?  But the tail (or LINE SEGMENT!) is still partially all the way behind the front of him.

Thank you for not using a navy-colored arrow!  😁

• Haha 1