Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5628 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

How did you do it? Why the red trim? I understand the clavicle coverage you added.

Posted

Do mine! Do mine!

Since it's a pain to try and secure the straps, I have to buckle them first and then put the whole thing over my head and then reach back and untwist the strap. The "Wilson" style hooks you added would make it easier to get on and off. Love the additional protection on the shoulders as well. Nicely done!

Posted

How did you do it? Why the red trim? I understand the clavicle coverage you added.

Like everyone else, I was a bit concerned about the gap coverage on what was other wise a perfect CP. Even though I have never taken a shot there, I didn't want my first to be at the hands of a Varsity or College Pitcher. So I contacted Jeff Cook at Douglas and he and I came up with the shoulder cap design in the pictures. I had the T-hooks added because I was concerned that if the plastic hooks ever broke, they would be a b!tc# to get replaced. The red piping I added as a personal touch just to give it that "personalized" look. :-)

Posted

I love my douglas... and i like the buckle on the side.. much easier to get on and off.. plus I never liked the buckle in the front, the old medal ones would snag my shirt.

As for the shoulder, there is no way a ball can get in the 1/2 " gap...

Posted

As for the shoulder, there is no way a ball can get in the 1/2 " gap...

I would dissagree.... I have had 2 of my AA and AAA umpire buddies with Douglas take a ball there... they both say the pain is awful if you get hit just right. Nothing that will sideline you but it might have you ducking and dodging. :-)

Posted

The only thing I would have done is had Douglas cut the bottom plate on both sides, like one of our other brother umpires on this board did at home with a saw, so the sides would contour in..other than that...looks pretty good...it aint no Riddell but........ :rolleyes:

Posted

Before:

Douglas.jpg

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

After:

CustomDouglas.jpg

Any Questions?

i like the added plastic shells (shoulder) , what did this cost , if u dont mind . i presume u had to pay some shipping also .

marc

Posted

Nice. Very Nice!

Did the extra shoulder protection add much bulk there? Doesn't really look like it.

good question , is the cp bulkier (football pads) at the shoulders .

marc

Posted

The only thing I would have done is had Douglas cut the bottom plate on both sides, like one of our other brother umpires on this board did at home with a saw, so the sides would contour in..other than that...looks pretty good...it aint no Riddell but........ :rolleyes:

That was me Chris, and it was just a carpet knife , and I didn't even go through the plate, I went about 75-80% through so it bent at the cut line .....works great!

I agree with the other questions also.....how much more bulky does that 'cap' make the cp look under the shirt?? When I had mine made, I had Jeff tighten up the shoulder pads nice and tight for me .....

Posted

I would be interested to know about the additional bulk and cost as well. I would be interested in getting it done to mine as well. I will stick with the standard buckle though. I like it much better than the wilson style clips. Heads, I am also thinking of doing the carpet knife thing to mine as well. I have the 15" Douglas. Wish I had gone for the 14"

Posted

I would be interested to know about the additional bulk and cost as well. I would be interested in getting it done to mine as well. I will stick with the standard buckle though. I like it much better than the wilson style clips. Heads, I am also thinking of doing the carpet knife thing to mine as well. I have the 15" Douglas. Wish I had gone for the 14"

Jeff told me he didn't have 14" parts by the time I ordered, ...it doesn't matter ...it's a sleak CP and works fine ...

I used blue painters tape, ... and a carpet knife/box cutter, whatever ....taped off the area, and cut till I was about 80% through, ...took 10 minutes total!

Posted

It doesn't add any bulk at all. I continue to wear the same shirts that I have worn before the modification. The Douglas is the only chest protector I have used that allows me to wear the same size shirt on plate and base. With the WV gold and Plat (I have owned both) I need an XL on the plate and a large on the bases. With my Douglas I now only need larges.

The cost was only about $60 for the mods. This included shipping both ways. It took about a week to make the mods.

Posted

It doesn't add any bulk at all. I continue to wear the same shirts that I have worn before the modification. The Douglas is the only chest protector I have used that allows me to wear the same size shirt on plate and base. With the WV gold and Plat (I have owned both) I need an XL on the plate and a large on the bases. With my Douglas I now only need larges.

The cost was only about $60 for the mods. This included shipping both ways. It took about a week to make the mods.

Do you find it easier to put on with the clips instead of the buckles?

Posted

Did the $60 include the red trim or was that just for for the additional shoulder plates and modifying the bottom plate? I am interested in adding the plates to mine, but I don't really see the need for the color trim. I also like the buckle that comes on the Douglas. Not a huge fan of the Wilson/Football style connectors.

Posted

It doesn't add any bulk at all. I continue to wear the same shirts that I have worn before the modification. The Douglas is the only chest protector I have used that allows me to wear the same size shirt on plate and base. With the WV gold and Plat (I have owned both) I need an XL on the plate and a large on the bases. With my Douglas I now only need larges.

The cost was only about $60 for the mods. This included shipping both ways. It took about a week to make the mods.

Ok, I didnt' have time to respond to this, but ......how can it NOT add bulk to the shoulder area?? You're adding a plate, ..yes? Fittske, could you throw up another picture of this thing from straight on and show us this? And if you have the same angle as the old one for a comparo, that would even better!! :)

Posted

It doesn't add any bulk at all. I continue to wear the same shirts that I have worn before the modification. The Douglas is the only chest protector I have used that allows me to wear the same size shirt on plate and base. With the WV gold and Plat (I have owned both) I need an XL on the plate and a large on the bases. With my Douglas I now only need larges.

The cost was only about $60 for the mods. This included shipping both ways. It took about a week to make the mods.

Ok, I didnt' have time to respond to this, but ......how can it NOT add bulk to the shoulder area?? You're adding a plate, ..yes? Fittske, could you throw up another picture of this thing from straight on and show us this? And if you have the same angle as the old one for a comparo, that would even better!! :)

Jeff-

It appears that all they added is an unpadded rounded plastic plate to cover the gap area between the shoulder caps and the main body of the CP. The Gold has a similar plate. If it is shaped correctly it should conform and would not add bulk or change the low profile nature of the Douglas.

Posted

I think it looks great and even if it added bulk it would be minimal. Seems like we are being to picky.

Posted

I think it looks great and even if it added bulk it would be minimal. Seems like we are being to picky.

No, ....no one is being picky, we're just asking questions .........

Posted

I will take a picture of both chest protectors to night so you can see the difference. I think the difference is minimal at best. I can wear all of my shirts and plate coats with either chest protector.

×
×
  • Create New...