answer

Guest rick
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1954 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

There is a runner on first and third with one out. A fly ball is caught in the air by the right fielder(two out). The runner has left first base and is thrown out at first before he can return(three out). Meanwhile the runner at third  left the base after the ball was caught by the right fielder and crossed home plate before the throw gets to first base. Does the run count?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

8 answers to this question

8 hours ago, JSam21 said:

The play at first is an appeal, not a force out.

2 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

(Adding on the reasoning)

... the play at first is no longer a force because F9 catching the ball put out the BR. Thus, R1 is not "forced" to advance anymore.

Great to see some rules activity as opposed to umpire ebay activity on this site. But kind of irrelevant considering @Richvee's answer. There was no reference to a force in the OP and why we would address R1 being forced to advance I don't know. But there were some NFHS and NCAA rules posts by me, @Jimurray,  that you might consider commenting on:)  If I use a grinning emoticon from the menu the site won't let me post. Just trying to keep the site relevant to rules other than it being an umpire ebay site, kudos to @Senor Azul for attempting the same.

I was going to stay out of this one but there is a possibility that we are being trolled. The question posed in the OP matches the actual rule (How a Team Scores)--

2018 OBR rule 5.08 Comment

APPROVED RULING: One out, Jones on third, Smith on first, and Brown flies out to right field. Two outs. Jones tags up and scores after the catch. Smith attempted to return to first but the right fielder’s throw beat him to the base. Three outs. But Jones scored before the throw to catch Smith reached first base, hence Jones’ run counts. It was not a force play.