Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3007 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I’m looking for a good quality jacket  for a low price to wear behind the plate and at the bases. I was looking into Smitty but they’re jacket is not for the plate. I’m wondering if anyone knows where I can find a low priced plate/base water resistant jacket. 

Posted

All of smitty’s Products are sized for the plate so any of there jacket will work.

Posted

Professional opinion?

Get a form fitting jacket for bases, however breathable / wind-resistant / water-resistant / insulating you need or want it to be. Then, for Plate, get a (or a few) long-sleeve umpire shirt. As a PU, you’re already insulated with gear and generating heat with all that movement. Most gear doesn’t ventilate well to begin with, and as soon as you add a water-resistant jacket, you’ll actually get just as soggy from your own perspiration.

A rain shedding jacket for baseball is nearly pointless.

  • Like 4
Posted
9 hours ago, MadMax said:

Professional opinion?

Get a form fitting jacket for bases, however breathable / wind-resistant / water-resistant / insulating you need or want it to be. Then, for Plate, get a (or a few) long-sleeve umpire shirt. As a PU, you’re already insulated with gear and generating heat with all that movement. Most gear doesn’t ventilate well to begin with, and as soon as you add a water-resistant jacket, you’ll actually get just as soggy from your own perspiration.

A rain shedding jacket for baseball is nearly pointless.

I was a jacket guy until this year... switched to a jersey behind the plate... 100% better all around. 

  • Like 1
Posted
14 hours ago, JHong said:

I’m looking for a good quality jacket  for a low price to wear behind the plate and at the bases. I was looking into Smitty but they’re jacket is not for the plate. I’m wondering if anyone knows where I can find a low priced plate/base water resistant jacket. 

What size are you looking for? I have a few tuckable black plate pullovers in black with the white stripes on the shoulders in 2X.

Posted
1 hour ago, JSam21 said:

I was a jacket guy until this year... switched to a jersey behind the plate... 100% better all around. 

I don't do the cmjacket behind the plate unless it is either really cold or really wet.

But I do enjoy the cutoff jacket behind the plate!

  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Honigs has some convertible jackets for sale as part of their “Flash Sale.”  Most are under $20.  

 

I do like Mad Max’s suggestion of a long sleeve shirt, as I agree the jacket is just a plastic bag over your upper body that just collects sweat. 

Posted

Honigs' convertible jackets are like 3 sizes smaller than they say they are (comparably)

Posted

Or as a counter to the "no jacket on the plate" or "wear a LS shirt" opinions, get a short-sleeved jacket.  It's all I wear on the plate now when it's cold.  You can get them for a fairly good price and tucked in it still presents a nice, clean look.  Some protection from rain and cold, but not stifling hot like a jacket - or as thin as a LS shirt.   My two cents...

Posted
16 hours ago, udbrky said:

Honigs' convertible jackets are like 3 sizes smaller than they say they are (comparably)

I think Honig's shirts are like that too. I wear an XL all day in Smitty, but in Honig's XL I look like a bodybuilder trying to look larger by squeezing into a M.

Posted

 

Get your winter stuff in the summer and your summer stuff in the winter.  

Plus, the suppliers are putting all the baseball items on sale now as the HS season has ended.

It’s the best time to buy. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Posted
On 7/3/2018 at 5:23 AM, wolfe_man said:

Or as a counter to the "no jacket on the plate" or "wear a LS shirt" opinions, get a short-sleeved jacket.  It's all I wear on the plate now.  You can get them for a fairly good price and tucked in it still presents a nice, clean look.  Some protection from rain and cold, but not stifling hot like a jacket - or as thin as a LS shirt.   My two cents...

I second this! I love wearing the short sleeve (or cut off) jacket with the zip off sleeves! The Smitty one I have is great because it doesn't have any lining. If I could make it my standard umpire to. I would.

On 7/3/2018 at 5:24 AM, wolfe_man said:

I think Honig's shirts are like that too. I wear an XL all day in Smitty, but in Honig's XL I look like a bodybuilder trying to look larger by squeezing into a M.

I also totally second this. Though I have never tried Smitty shirts (maybe I should). The Honigs shirts just seem small for some reason. I have the light blue 2010 shirts from Honigs in L and XL and they run small. So small, in fact, that Honigs own undershirt sleeves will pop out below the tops at any chance they get.

  • Like 1
Posted

The Honigs shirts I got this week seem to be better. 

 

How's the Smitty's convertible sizing? I really like the Smitty's MLB light blue MLB replica. It's so comfortable.

Posted
4 minutes ago, udbrky said:

The Honigs shirts I got this week seem to be better. 

 

How's the Smitty's convertible sizing? I really like the Smitty's MLB light blue MLB replica. It's so comfortable.

I have found it to be pretty true to size. Like most of their stuff, it is sized for the plate. I wear an XL and have added a few rows many lbs since buying it a few years back. It still fits nicely (though a bit tighter than it once did.)

  • Like 1
Posted

Up until the change of ownership at Honig’s, their shirts were sized for bases, and in the 2010 MLB style (especially) the sleeves were smaller and shorter. 

Why?

Because at the time, Honig’s was the primary supplier of MLB, MiLB (until UmpAttire stepped in), and several college conferences. And what do most of those in-the-spotlights guys typically get done? Yup, they get the sleeves tailored. 

I gotta give Smitty some credit, they progressed the 2016 MLB style (the Panel) to several variants, and interested USA & ASA Softball enough to adopt the new styles as the official umpire shirt(s) going forward. I’ll only take Smitty seriously, though, when they cease production of those outdated styles (especially navy).

Posted
15 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Up until the change of ownership at Honig’s, their shirts were sized for bases, and in the 2010 MLB style (especially) the sleeves were smaller and shorter. 

Why?

Because at the time, Honig’s was the primary supplier of MLB, MiLB (until UmpAttire stepped in), and several college conferences. And what do most of those in-the-spotlights guys typically get done? Yup, they get the sleeves tailored. 

I gotta give Smitty some credit, they progressed the 2016 MLB style (the Panel) to several variants, and interested USA & ASA Softball enough to adopt the new styles as the official umpire shirt(s) going forward. I’ll only take Smitty seriously, though, when they cease production of those outdated styles (especially navy).

@MadMax I always look forward to the info you bring to ANY topic! I can think of a few who get their sleeves tailored. Ahem...one of them may or may not :Dbe my favorite umpire.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...