WTB - "Pro Style" Carolina Blue shirt, Size L

BrianC14
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2549 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Want to buy:

Pro Style Carolina blue shirt  (see pic)

Short sleeve

Size L

Would prefer Majestic brand, but will consider others (Smitty).

Cannot believe that I can't find these anywhere, though I have seen a couple of "sketchy" online providers, they don't tell you the brand name, and then want 50% of the shirt cost as shipping cost.  

Thanks!

carolina pro style.png

Ah, that is the 2010 Major League Sky Blue shirt, AKA "the Vertical Stripe" in Polo Blue, Sky Blue, or (gasp!) Powder. I even heard one umpire this past weekend tell one of my "junior umpires" that it is "baby blue" (as if!). Majestic introduced it, produced it for a few years, and then discontinued production of it sometime in 2013-14. It (and its black sibling) was such a radical improvement over the boring classic two-pinstripe black and columbia blue (with black collar) shirts, and was soon copied by the likes of Smitty, Honigs, The Officials Choice and WCUA. Only recently has Cliff Keen started producing this shirt variant!

Majestic debuted their "first" CoolBase version with this shirt in a pebble-knit-like fabric. Smitty followed suit, and produced it in a pebble-knit as well. Honigs opted to make theirs smooth, and not only rolled out a lighter-weight, arguably more breathable fabric, but also in long-sleeve variants. The Officials Choice (TOC) took it into a whole other realm, taking the style / pattern and producing no less than fourteen colour variants beyond the original two. Talk about variety is the spice of life!

In 2015, Majestic introduced their new smooth CoolBase fabric, but were not in a position to produce it in the 2010 style, as their designers coordinating with MLB were discussing going a much more radical route (which would become the 2016 Panel shirts). So, in lieu of a new design, Majestic produced a plain black shirt in the new fabric and tested it with select crews throughout the 2015 season. Inspired by this, TOC developed their own new fabric called UltraTek and used it on the original two colors (Black and Sky Blue) as well as their radical Camouflage line. TOC may be "out there" in their color choices, but they do produce shirts at a very attractive price point. The 2010 MLB shirt styles are still available from them in PebbleKnit at $27.50 or UltraTek (smooth) at $30.

... and yes, in Sky Blue... and yes, they're excellent.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

Want to buy:

Pro Style Carolina blue shirt  (see pic)

Short sleeve

Size L

Would prefer Majestic brand, but will consider others (Smitty).

Cannot believe that I can't find these anywhere, though I have seen a couple of "sketchy" online providers, they don't tell you the brand name, and then want 50% of the shirt cost as shipping cost.  

Thanks!

carolina pro style.png

Like? Remember there is more than goes to the shipping cost, i.e.employee cost, shipping materials, postage, fuel surcharges, etc.There is a lot more than we don't see.

1 hour ago, gnhbua93 said:

Like? Remember there is more than goes to the shipping cost, i.e.employee cost, shipping materials, postage, fuel surcharges, etc.There is a lot more than we don't see.

Gosh thanks.  Next time I'll just say that I would rather not pay $40 for a shirt of unknown quality. 

Guess that MBA  I got was money down the drain. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, MadMax said:

Ah, that is the 2010 Major League Sky Blue shirt, AKA "the Vertical Stripe" in Polo Blue, Sky Blue, or (gasp!) Powder. I even heard one umpire this past weekend tell one of my "junior umpires" that it is "baby blue" (as if!). Majestic introduced it, produced it for a few years, and then discontinued production of it sometime in 2013-14. It (and its black sibling) was such a radical improvement over the boring classic two-pinstripe black and columbia blue (with black collar) shirts, and was soon copied by the likes of Smitty, Honigs, The Officials Choice and WCUA. Only recently has Cliff Keen started producing this shirt variant!

Majestic debuted their "first" CoolBase version with this shirt in a pebble-knit-like fabric. Smitty followed suit, and produced it in a pebble-knit as well. Honigs opted to make theirs smooth, and not only rolled out a lighter-weight, arguably more breathable fabric, but also in long-sleeve variants. The Officials Choice (TOC) took it into a whole other realm, taking the style / pattern and producing no less than fourteen colour variants beyond the original two. Talk about variety is the spice of life!

In 2015, Majestic introduced their new smooth CoolBase fabric, but were not in a position to produce it in the 2010 style, as their designers coordinating with MLB were discussing going a much more radical route (which would become the 2016 Panel shirts). So, in lieu of a new design, Majestic produced a plain black shirt in the new fabric and tested it with select crews throughout the 2015 season. Inspired by this, TOC developed their own new fabric called UltraTek and used it on the original two colors (Black and Sky Blue) as well as their radical Camouflage line. TOC may be "out there" in their color choices, but they do produce shirts at a very attractive price point. The 2010 MLB shirt styles are still available from them in PebbleKnit at $27.50 or UltraTek (smooth) at $30.

... and yes, in Sky Blue... and yes, they're excellent.

Thanks, very helpful info there.   Keep shaking my head at the changes that keep getting made about every two years, and of course, our association is over-the-top crazy about chasing "what the pros wear".   It does no good to tell them that the 'Big Boys' get boxes of the new stuff for free, and that my closet is overflowing with shirts that "no one wears anymore".... (from just TWO years ago, when we were 'required' to have them??)  The issue I have with needing new "old" shirts is that this is for summer ball only.   Can't wait to see what the Sup wants to introduce for fall ball.   :o

Thanks @MadMax and @catsbackr for the assist.    

Nothing I like better than being lectured by someone who's so condescendingly clueless.  Bye bye.

If you want to be a jerk blasting fellow officials who own sports officials suppliers, man up about it and go by name of business.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, catsbackr said:

I've got the Majestic and the Officials Choice shirts...not much difference.

Just trying to help you out Brian.

Thanks, @catsbackr appreciate it.    Recalling that Honig's is still an option (and they're local for me).... until I checked their website.... and they have only black in S/S Large.    D'oh !   Looks like I'll have to opt for the TOC shirt and call it good.   The differences aren't all that noticeable;  the bigger issue will be the actual color of the shirt.  Different manufacturers will be slightly different shades.   Oh well.  Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

24 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

Oh man.....  I always look at U-A first... and seeing only the black shirt in the photo I figured they only had black shirts remaining.

Thanks for the heads up;  placing an order now.    

Thanks @JSam21 !

• Like 1

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2549 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.