Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3166 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I love baseball.  What other sport allows two simultaneous arguments between officials and participants?

I agree that Porter probably said something, but Cervelli should never have stood up and turned around.  That's a no-no.

I love baseball.  What other sport allows two simultaneous arguments between officials and participants?

I agree that Porter probably said something, but Cervelli should never have stood up and turned around.  That's a no-no.

he did say something, you can see him gesturing  ....

again ...it appears Porter escalated this

he did say something, you can see him gesturing  ....

again ...it appears Porter escalated this

Yes, but Cervelli has been around long enough to know you don't show the PU up...which is what he did when he got in his face.  He could have had a "discussion" with AP without having to stand up and turn around. 

I'm beginning to categorize Cervelli into the same group as AJ...

• Like 1

Yes, but Cervelli has been around long enough to know you don't show the PU up...which is what he did when he got in his face.  He could have had a "discussion" with AP without having to stand up and turn around. 

...and it appears the ejection was purely on him standing up and turning around as you can see in Alan's gesture with his hands to Hurdle .

• Like 1

I'm ok with this also .... makes perfect sense.  However, .... to be honest, ..... Cervelli did nothing to warrant AP to say something and gesture .....so he framed a pitch.....so what

• Like 1

Porter probably thought that Cervelli held his glove out there a little too long.  If I were to offer a guess, Porter probably said something along the lines of "Throw it back, let's go."  Plus, Cervelli would not have seen the gesture, as he was still facing forward.    Unless Porter said something inappropriate or baited Cervelli, the minute he stood and turned around, Cervelli punched his ticket to the showers.

• Like 1

Porter probably thought that Cervelli held his glove out there a little too long.  If I were to offer a guess, Porter probably said something along the lines of "Throw it back, let's go."  Plus, Cervelli would not have seen the gesture, as he was still facing forward.    Unless Porter said something inappropriate or baited Cervelli, the minute he stood and turned around, Cervelli punched his ticket to the showers.

good analysis

• Like 1

BTW - I think that this is an EXCELLENT example of a crew working together.   I liked the way CC Jeff Kellogg came in and wrangled Cervelli away and then talked him down.  I also thought Porter did a good job of keeping his cool talking to Clint Hurdle.  There are too many videos out there of umpire losing their cool.

He held that glove a lot too long.  I don't think Porter did anything wrong.

• Like 1