Another Cespedes Cannon

Thunderheads

I've watched this a few times, and picked up some nuggets to share with you...

• With no one on, U2's IP was out anyway, 1BS of 2B as SOP. The hit carried him that way, so he ended up just on the 3BS of 2B.
  • Check the 0:53-0:56 segment of the video... There's a behind-the-plate camera angle that shows – wouldya look at that – U3's face as he travels from D to the 2B cutout (coming in). He's got his face turned, I'm estimating, to tell Bob Davidson (PU) that he's going, or to visually confirm that Bob is leaving HP and is headed to 3B...
  • ... where yes, the play was so fast developing, Bob had to leave his mask on!
  • Bonus point - Am I correct in assuming that, if the ball had gotten away from Uribe or the throw had been off-target such that Sean Rodriguez proceeded to try to score, then U1 would be at HP for that play, yes?

• Bonus point - Am I correct in assuming that, if the ball had gotten away from Uribe or the throw had been off-target such that Sean Rodriguez proceeded to try to score, then U1 would be at HP for that play, yes?

U1 rotates home as soon as BR commits to third.

U1 will usually move to foul territory by the coach's box to watch BR touch first, then take a few walking steps toward home as BR commits to second, then run / jog toward home as BR commits to third.  The goal is to be at the point of the plate extended and set in order to read the throw and adjust.

I've watched this a few times, and picked up some nuggets to share with you...

• With no one on, U2's IP was out anyway, 1BS of 2B as SOP. The hit carried him that way, so he ended up just on the 3BS of 2B.
  • Check the 0:53-0:56 segment of the video... There's a behind-the-plate camera angle that shows – wouldya look at that – U3's face as he travels from D to the 2B cutout (coming in). He's got his face turned, I'm estimating, to tell Bob Davidson (PU) that he's going, or to visually confirm that Bob is leaving HP and is headed to 3B...
  • ... where yes, the play was so fast developing, Bob had to leave his mask on!

:no: 

Edited by Thunderheads

U1 rotates home as soon as BR commits to third.

U1 will usually move to foul territory by the coach's box to watch BR touch first, then take a few walking steps toward home as BR commits to second, then run / jog toward home as BR commits to third.  The goal is to be at the point of the plate extended and set in order to read the throw and adjust.

This puts U1 in Fair territory, yes? In that triangle of space between plate, mound and 1B? Considering an overthrow at 3B would likely result in the ball headed into Foul ball territory and/or 3B dugout / DBT... 

:no: 

I know Jeff ( @Thunderheads), sad isn't it? Too bad it wasn't a less obvious play, otherwise I'm sure Davidson would have heard an earful. As soon as (all) the bat (pieces) is (are) on the ground, that mask should be off. Maybe the MLB Umpires are wearing those masks way too tight.

• Like 1

This puts U1 in Fair territory, yes? In that triangle of space between plate, mound and 1B? Considering an overthrow at 3B would likely result in the ball headed into Foul ball territory and/or 3B dugout / DBT... 

No, POP is in foul, behind the plate, deeper than the PU would set up for calling pitches.

Some of these plays are from overthrows at 3B on a triple, some are from the outfield on a misplayed ball (or injured fielder). On an overthrow situation, U1 will set up at 3BLX to have everything in front of him; with the throw coming from the OF, he'll adjust as needed.