Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4212 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

High School Game and I have the bases. Ground to 2B but close play and I call him out. Runner stops, looks at me and asks me, "Are you serious?"...I ignore him...he keeps on chirping throughout his team's AB and looking over at me from the dugout. The next half inning as he is taking his position he approaches me and asks, "Blue, was I really out?". I turn to him and say, "Shut up!" and he does. His next AB, he grounds out to third and the play was not close. Right after I call him out he says, "I made it easy for you". I toss him!

Did I overreact?

Posted

Likely, yes, but not on the toss itself. The ejection was in the cards after you replied with "Shut up!". Being a teenage smarta$$, he's just going to start pulling cards out of the deck until he draws the ejection card. A simple "Yes (you were out)," would have sufficed... If you wanted to elaborate it a bit, and say something like, "Early in the game." or "There's nothing to discuss." or "Enough." that would have been far less inciting than your command of "Shut up". That's just pi$$ him off more.

  • Like 6
Posted

Likely, yes, but not on the toss itself. The ejection was in the cards after you replied with "Shut up!". Being a teenage smarta$$, he's just going to start pulling cards out of the deck until he draws the ejection card. A simple "Yes (you were out)," would have sufficed... If you wanted to elaborate it a bit, and say something like, "Early in the game." or "There's nothing to discuss." or "Enough." that would have been far less inciting than your command of "Shut up". That's just pi$$ him off more.

I agree with you.

  • Like 1
Posted

High School Game and I have the bases. Ground to 2B but close play and I call him out. Runner stops, looks at me and asks me, "Are you serious?"...I ignore him...he keeps on chirping throughout his team's AB and looking over at me from the dugout. The next half inning as he is taking his position he approaches me and asks, "Blue, was I really out?". I turn to him and say, "Shut up!" and he does. His next AB, he grounds out to third and the play was not close. Right after I call him out he says, "I made it easy for you". I toss him!

Did I overreact?

THIS was the time to shut it down. I probably would have told him "that's enough" at this point. 

  • Like 1
Posted

 quick conference with his HC will do the trick. "Jim, if he doesn't knock it off, you're gonna need to report what sub you wanna use."

works 100% of the time

You don't instigate anything and he gets a chance to actually do HIS job. And the jackwagon teen stfu. Trifecta. Everyone wins.

  • Like 7
Posted

 

High School Game and I have the bases. Ground to 2B but close play and I call him out. Runner stops, looks at me and asks me, "Are you serious?"...I ignore him...he keeps on chirping throughout his team's AB and looking over at me from the dugout. The next half inning as he is taking his position he approaches me and asks, "Blue, was I really out?". I turn to him and say, "Shut up!" and he does. His next AB, he grounds out to third and the play was not close. Right after I call him out he says, "I made it easy for you". I toss him!

Did I overreact?

THIS was the time to shut it down. I probably would have told him "that's enough" at this point. 

 

 

I agree that this was the time to address it, but not directly to the player.  Speak with the head coach about it.

 

Just saw Jocko's post - what he said.

  • Like 2
Posted

 quick conference with his HC will do the trick. "Jim, if he doesn't knock it off, you're gonna need to report what sub you wanna use."

works 100% of the time

You don't instigate anything and he gets a chance to actually do HIS job. And the jackwagon teen stfu. Trifecta. Everyone wins.

 

 

 

 

High School Game and I have the bases. Ground to 2B but close play and I call him out. Runner stops, looks at me and asks me, "Are you serious?"...I ignore him...he keeps on chirping throughout his team's AB and looking over at me from the dugout. The next half inning as he is taking his position he approaches me and asks, "Blue, was I really out?". I turn to him and say, "Shut up!" and he does. His next AB, he grounds out to third and the play was not close. Right after I call him out he says, "I made it easy for you". I toss him!

Did I overreact?

THIS was the time to shut it down. I probably would have told him "that's enough" at this point. 

 

 

I agree that this was the time to address it, but not directly to the player.  Speak with the head coach about it.

 

Just saw Jocko's post - what he said.

 

Good stuff, guys. Something to keep in the memory banks. 

Posted

 quick conference with his HC will do the trick. "Jim, if he doesn't knock it off, you're gonna need to report what sub you wanna use."

works 100% of the time

You don't instigate anything and he gets a chance to actually do HIS job. And the jackwagon teen stfu. Trifecta. Everyone wins.

Let's take it to the next part of the OP after we handled the dugout chatter with the coach like you guys suggest. Let's assume the kid quiets down. Now he comes out for defense and asks "Blue, was I really out?" Myself, I try to be approachable and not be a redass, so I'd probably respond with something like, "Close play, but he got you". If he gives me lip after that he's punched is ticket. When he grounds out next AB and it's not close and he says "I made that one easy for ya", I think I smile and say "Yep". 

 

Thoughts? 

  • Like 1
Posted

Never, never, NEVER tell a player or coach to "shut up". 

  • Like 7
Posted

Let's take it to the next part of the OP after we handled the dugout chatter with the coach like you guys suggest. Let's assume the kid quiets down. Now he comes out for defense and asks "Blue, was I really out?" Myself, I try to be approachable and not be a redass, so I'd probably respond with something like, "Close play, but he got you". If he gives me lip after that he's punched is ticket. When he grounds out next AB and it's not close and he says "I made that one easy for ya", I think I smile and say "Yep". 

Thoughts?

I think if you read the situation and the kid has calmed down and you really think he's not being a prick, then yes, I think it can work depending on the situation.

  • Like 3
Posted

Let's take it to the next part of the OP after we handled the dugout chatter with the coach like you guys suggest. Let's assume the kid quiets down. Now he comes out for defense and asks "Blue, was I really out?" Myself, I try to be approachable and not be a redass, so I'd probably respond with something like, "Close play, but he got you". If he gives me lip after that he's punched is ticket. When he grounds out next AB and it's not close and he says "I made that one easy for ya", I think I smile and say "Yep". Thoughts?

I think if you read the situation and the kid has calmed down and you really think he's not being a prick, then yes, I think it can work depending on the situation.

He was really being a prick. I think that even if I don't tell him to "shut up" he still says what he said when he grounded out the second time.he was the shortstop and really whining about everything. Anyway, I don't feel so bad tossing him anymore.

Posted

This really has very little to do with the ejection itself and more about what you may have done to inadvertently cause it.  So much of umpiring is how well we handle our interpersonal communications; how tactful we are and able to seamlessly accomplish what's needed for game management.  Also, since this is high school ball, it's primarily an educational endeavor and not baseball played for all the same reasons as higher levels.  With that in mind, telling someone to shut up doesn't play well in this space (or any other, for that matter, but especially with teenagers).  It doesn't garner respect for you by the players or coaches because a moment after you said it, everyone in that dugout learned about it.  And then that player tells his parents.  And fellow students the next day.  And maybe the coach goes so far as to tell your assigner.  And then everyone knows the umpire told him to "shut up" as his preferred communication.  And unless the coach asks your assigner to scratch you from his games, you're going to see these players, parents and coaches at another game down the road.  Is that really the reputation you want?  You can accomplish more, help the player to learn a more sophisticated and mature communication style that will serve him well in baseball and in life, and all the while stay in everyone's good graces.  

 

Isn't that a better outcome?

 

And if you were more tactful and the kid keeps yapping despite that, yes toss him, but at least you weren't a contributing factor and the kid hopefully learned something valuable, too.

  • Like 2
Posted

Let's take it to the next part of the OP after we handled the dugout chatter with the coach like you guys suggest. Let's assume the kid quiets down. Now he comes out for defense and asks "Blue, was I really out?" Myself, I try to be approachable and not be a redass, so I'd probably respond with something like, "Close play, but he got you". If he gives me lip after that he's punched is ticket. When he grounds out next AB and it's not close and he says "I made that one easy for ya", I think I smile and say "Yep". Thoughts?

I think if you read the situation and the kid has calmed down and you really think he's not being a prick, then yes, I think it can work depending on the situation.

He was really being a prick. I think that even if I don't tell him to "shut up" he still says what he said when he grounded out the second time.he was the shortstop and really whining about everything. Anyway, I don't feel so bad tossing him anymore.

I shall note, I know he was being a prick in your situation. I believe Richvee's example to be a hypothetical.

Posted

High School Game and I have the bases. Ground to 2B but close play and I call him out. Runner stops, looks at me and asks me, "Are you serious?"...I ignore him...Good job

 

he keeps on chirping throughout his team's AB and looking over at me from the dugout. Warn him here, either directly or through the head coach ("That's enough"/"Knock it off"/"Cut it out")

 

The next half inning as he is taking his position he approaches me and asks, "Blue, was I really out?". I turn to him and say, "Shut up!" and he does. I never tell anyone on the field to "shut up". If you didn't warn above and let this continue, I would simply answer "Yes, you were, and we're done talking about it".

 

His next AB, he grounds out to third and the play was not close. Right after I call him out he says, "I made it easy for you". I toss him! Never should have gotten this far if you warn earlier.

Did I overreact?

  • Like 3
Posted

I've found that debating the merits of a call with a player who has no substantive argument is a failing proposition. If a player says something like "He tagged me high," I may tell him that the tag was down in time. I ignore simple claims that the call was incorrect, or address them if they escalate. Arguing this tends to go into a "nuh-uh/uh-huh" situation which doesn't generally end well.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

High School Game and I have the bases. Ground to 2B but close play and I call him out. Runner stops, looks at me and asks me, "Are you serious?"...I ignore him...Good job Agreed!

 

he keeps on chirping throughout his team's AB and looking over at me from the dugout. Warn him here, either directly or through the head coach ("That's enough"/"Knock it off"/"Cut it out") YES, this .... stop sign him ...stop sign the dugout, "that's enough"

 

The next half inning as he is taking his position he approaches me and asks, "Blue, was I really out?". I turn to him and say, "Shut up!" and he does. I never tell anyone on the field to "shut up". If you didn't warn above and let this continue, I would simply answer "Yes, you were, and we're done talking about it".  Agree don't say 'shut up'.       My personal style here is .....  If he comes up to you without being a dick, and asks "Was I really, out"?  Answer him, as long as he's not being a jerk, why not?   Yes, he got you ...it was close, but he got you.   For me,...I would not add ..."and we're done talking about it" because IMO you're cutting him off before anything really happens.  You're acting as if HE IS going to say something else, even though he may not, then you look aggressive.  (again, just my personal style here, not saying @zm1283  is wrong).

 

His next AB, he grounds out to third and the play was not close. Right after I call him out he says, "I made it easy for you". I toss him! Never should have gotten this far if you warn earlier.  YES, this .... if the 2 things happen above, ..... you don't have an EJ here.

Did I overreact? Personally, .....yes.

 

More here .... My answers are in blue....

  • Like 3
Posted

 

 

 

Let's take it to the next part of the OP after we handled the dugout chatter with the coach like you guys suggest. Let's assume the kid quiets down. Now he comes out for defense and asks "Blue, was I really out?" Myself, I try to be approachable and not be a redass, so I'd probably respond with something like, "Close play, but he got you". If he gives me lip after that he's punched is ticket. When he grounds out next AB and it's not close and he says "I made that one easy for ya", I think I smile and say "Yep". Thoughts?

I think if you read the situation and the kid has calmed down and you really think he's not being a prick, then yes, I think it can work depending on the situation.

 

He was really being a prick. I think that even if I don't tell him to "shut up" he still says what he said when he grounded out the second time.he was the shortstop and really whining about everything. Anyway, I don't feel so bad tossing him anymore.

 

I shall note, I know he was being a prick in your situation. I believe Richvee's example to be a hypothetical.

 

Yes, hypothetical in the terms that we talked to the coach, or otherwise shut down the whining from the dugout. 

Maybe it's me, but I find it difficult to try to imagine the tone in a kid's voice that makes remarks like "Was I really out" or "I made that one easy for you"  sound "prickish" 

Now if he said something like "I beat that out, Blue" when he comes out on defense, or on the next AB that wasn't close a remark like "Well you got that one right" ...now those remarks I can "hear" with that teenage wiseass tone and he needs to be dealt with.  

Posted

Be reminded that all of you had time to process this in front of your monitor. I didn't have that luxury as the situation occurred. Of course, I shouldn't have said "shut up". But I did. I was wondering if the ejection was warranted. Thanks for your input.

Posted

Be reminded that all of you had time to process this in front of your monitor. I didn't have that luxury as the situation occurred. Of course, I shouldn't have said "shut up". But I did. I was wondering if the ejection was warranted. Thanks for your input.

Don't get upset and don't take any of the advice on how others would handle it personally. By posting this and reading what others would have done is how we learn to handle these situations better in real time. Like I said earlier, I probably would have told the kid "That's enough" when he was mouthing off in the dugout. From posts here, I have learned that it probably would be better to go through the coach at that point and have him talk to the kid. Thanks for posting this. I've gained some game management skills from it. 

 

That's the whole point here. If we read about it and think it out in front of the monitor, we've got a better chance of handling it better when does happen on the field. 

  • Like 1
Posted

Be reminded that all of you had time to process this in front of your monitor. I didn't have that luxury as the situation occurred. Of course, I shouldn't have said "shut up". But I did. I was wondering if the ejection was warranted. Thanks for your input.

 

And maybe after a few years of umpiring, you'll handle it differently. 

 

If you don't want everyone's critique, don't post about it. It's not personal.

  • Like 5
Posted

The next half inning as he is taking his position he approaches me and asks, "Blue, was I really out?".

 

@aiber......Just out of curiosity, where were you between innings and what position was he playing? Was it before the inning? After F1 completed his warmup pitches?

×
×
  • Create New...