Getting Dressed at the field

JasonPalo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3366 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

My gear, and my clothes are in the truck.  Even if I leave from home, I dress at the parking lot, park away from the crowds, open the doors and get dressed. Even in the rare event that there is a dressing room, it is almost inconvenience to haul all my stuff there that I need.

At the beach or local swimming pools, young ladies show up wearing sweat pants or gym shorts all the time.  When they arrive, the "drop trow" to reveal bikini bottoms that are nothing more than skimpy panties.  I've seen girls as young as 12 or 13 doing this (with mommy right next to them). 

How is it different (or illegal) for me, to "drop trow" for 20 seconds into my boxer briefs to change pants a problem?  

Hell, I've seen girls at the park with shorts on with their damn A$$ cheeks hanging out.  Mine boxer briefs (thank god) has never approached that level.  

Just my $0.02

At the beach or local swimming pools, young ladies show up wearing sweat pants or gym shorts all the time. When they arrive, the "drop trow" to reveal bikini bottoms that are nothing more than skimpy panties. I've seen girls as young as 12 or 13 doing this (with mommy right next to them).

How is it different (or illegal) for me, to "drop trow" for 20 seconds into my boxer briefs to change pants a problem?

Hell, I've seen girls at the park with shorts on with their damn A$$ cheeks hanging out. Mine boxer briefs (thank god) has never approached that level.

Just my $0.02

Because you're an adult.

At the beach or local swimming pools, young ladies show up wearing sweat pants or gym shorts all the time. When they arrive, the "drop trow" to reveal bikini bottoms that are nothing more than skimpy panties. I've seen girls as young as 12 or 13 doing this (with mommy right next to them).

Hell, I've seen girls at the park with shorts on with their damn A$$ cheeks hanging out. Mine boxer briefs (thank god) has never approached that level.

Just my $0.02

Because you're an adult.

Yeah but the adult who's staring at the pre-teen girl doesn't get anything but a dirty look.

At the beach or local swimming pools, young ladies show up wearing sweat pants or gym shorts all the time.  When they arrive, the "drop trow" to reveal bikini bottoms that are nothing more than skimpy panties.  I've seen girls as young as 12 or 13 doing this (with mommy right next to them). 

Hell, I've seen girls at the park with shorts on with their damn A$$ cheeks hanging out.  Mine boxer briefs (thank god) has never approached that level.  

Just my $0.02

Well, I see some good points on both sides of this interesting debate, but this argument, frankly, is pretty thin. For one, a bikini is customary and accepted attire at a beach or pool. You wouldn't be in trouble for dropping your pants if you had your trunks on either. But a bikini isn't underwear - it may resemble it, it may be even be MORE revealing than a panty. But it's not a panty.

Try standing around at your community pool in your boxers or underwear. It probably won't end well.

• Like 2

Just my $0.02

Well, I see some good points on both sides of this interesting debate, but this argument, frankly, is pretty thin. For one, a bikini is customary and accepted attire at a beach or pool. You wouldn't be in trouble for dropping your pants if you had your trunks on either. But a bikini isn't underwear - it may resemble it, it may be even be MORE revealing than a panty. But it's not a panty.

Try standing around at your community pool in your boxers or underwear. It probably won't end well.

You're kidding me....  You're making the "appropriate for the environment" argument.  been to Wal-Mart lately?  

Would somebody PLEASE (@MidamUmp) post a link to a court case that has found a sports official guilty of open and gross lewdness, indecent exposure, etc?  I find it hard to believe that absent some serious malfeasance, an official would ever have to "register as a sex offender".

This is the ONLY article I could find via Google (granted I looked for about 5 minutes) that addresses (get it?) the issue.  

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/4-30-2013/Neighbors-cry-foul-over-OPRF-umpires%27-costume-change/

Just my $0.02

You're kidding me....  You're making the "appropriate for the environment" argument.  been to Wal-Mart lately?  

Would somebody PLEASE (@MidamUmp) post a link to a court case that has found a sports official guilty of open and gross lewdness, indecent exposure, etc?  I find it hard to believe that absent some serious malfeasance, no one would ever have to "register as a sex offender".

This is the ONLY article I could find via Google (granted I looked for about 5 minutes) that addresses (get it?) the issue.  

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/4-30-2013/Neighbors-cry-foul-over-OPRF-umpires%27-costume-change/

THAT is serious enough to write an article about???? MY GOD.

I thought so too. Must be a VERY small place. Probably with a lot of old people. Read the reply comments. Some umpires jumped into the fray. Some comments knocked the article like you did.

Good work @bam. Very entertaining.

I find this all very thought provoking.

I have not thought it unusual to change at the field.  That's the way I was trained by the experienced umps that showed me the way.

After following this discussion, I will only change pants inside my vehicle.  I see now the risks of over-reaction, and the potential cost of that over-reaction to me and my family, is too great for me to continue to change behind the cars.  I could walk to the bathrooms or the "press box" area.  That is much less convenient.

I hate that I feel the need to make this change.  I have to recognize that I cannot control those that might make a legal problem for me.  

Thank you all for your contributions.  What a bummer.

R

When I was in Utah (I recently moved to Iowa), a member of our association had the cops called on him because a lady said she saw his junk.  Although a 2 minute search of the local paper online yielded no results, this case DID move forward and I believe he was cited.   So it CAN happen, but only if you let it.    In this case, the guy got buck-naked and got caught. 

I personally only strip down to compression shorts and shirt, so I don't foresee, nor have I ever had, any comments/problems with that.   @SJA summed it up nicely a page or two back.  In a nutshell (and not my nutty buddy) be cognizant and not stupid. 

@JaxRolo - Is the Officials Locker Room as convenient as it looks?  Is the material strong enough to last a few seasons?  Thinking about getting one for this season.  I do a lot of small school games where there aren't a lot of changing facilities for us. 

One of my partners has one of those custom camper-style vans he can stand up in. All of his uniforms are hanging and all of his gear is hanging on special hooks and hanger devices or is in a plastic drawer. It is truly a rolling locker room. Front seats are captains chairs that swivel around. TV with satellite antenna and a small refrigerator. A thing of beauty. We should all be so lucky.

• Like 2

Every time you dress in a parking lot you are being disrespected. Enough said.

This is an inaccurate statement.

It is what it is.

Larry Sansevere

sent from my phone

Seems pretty accurate to me.

Schools provide dressing rooms for football officials and it's an outdoor sport. Seems pretty disrespectful to me that schools don't provide baseball umpires with the same courtesy.

• Like 1

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3366 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.