Beyond mad at the league I am UIC for.....

KLAH316

This happened Saturday with one of my Adult umpires in the LL that I'm UIC for.... I will summerize the events that have made my blood boil the past few days....

Manager comes out to argue a call and proceeds to tell the umpire "That's two you missed".  Umpire warns him and he does it again "That's two".  Umpire gave him a final warning and the manager does it again "That's two".  All 3 times he was demonstrating by using his two fingers.  Umpire then ejects manager.  As umpire is doing this, the manager grabs the umpires arm and states "You don't have to do that".  Umpire has to pull his arm away and then the manager leaves the field, BOD on site is notified.  I am called after the game and he and the BU write up statements for me the next morning.

Yesterday, I find out (Not by the league President) that the BOD has agreed to meet with the manager as he wants to appeal his ejection and suspension.  (Our league has a rule that if you are ejected during the regular season, you are then not eligible to be a coach/manager during All-Stars.  This is the reason he is appealing since he is already tapped as an AC).  The BOD did not invite me as the UIC or the Umpire involved to the meeting and subsequently reversed the ejection and all suspensions for the manager.  He will be back on the field tomorrow.

I have read the LL Rule book (4.07)  and consulted with the district UIC and he agrees that overturning an ejection is not allowed per rule.  I know have both an email and phone call into the District President to discuss this.

My next recourse is just to completely walk away from the league effective immediately since they obviously do not support the umpires and I'm tired of banging my head into the wall.  :banghead:

Why would the BoD want a guy that doesn't know how to conduct himself on the baseball field to represent them in the district tournament anyway?

I would also walk away as they are undermining any and all authority that every umpire has on the field in that league.  Shall I guess that there are many managers and coaches on this particular BoD?

• Like 1

When I was a LL UIC, I was also the EVP of the League, so I was on the executive committee and protest committee. I would not have it any other way. If you aren't on the BOD you have little or no clout to make a difference. When the year was up I decided to not serve on the board or be the league UIC any longer, as I felt that the board was not giving the umpires the proper tools and authority to do their jobs.

Once you figure out that the managers are running the show, its time to go!!

• Like 1

When I was a LL UIC, I was also the EVP of the League, so I was on the executive committee and protest committee. I would not have it any other way. If you aren't on the BOD you have little or no clout to make a difference.

That's a great point.  I was also on the BoD when I was UIC, which was important for many reasons.  Luckily, the board "got it" with respect to manager and coach conduct.

Most of the time. In most places Little League Baseball, INC. is not a very satisfying endeavor for anyone associated with it at the League level. Everyone is almost always mad all the time. Lots of infighting. Different factions against each other.

In theory it is the greatest concept and American ideal but in reality the personal squabbling and self-promotion/self-serving actions by those involved ruin it for most associated with it.

I write this as a former Little League player, coach, parent, Board Member, League Officer, Team Sponsor and Umpire. I have walked away from that institution of American baseball and youth culture and never looked back.

Sorry, your story just reminds me of how something great has turned into something bad for me personally.

When I was a LL UIC, I was also the EVP of the League, so I was on the executive committee and protest committee. I would not have it any other way. If you aren't on the BOD you have little or no clout to make a difference.

That's a great point.  I was also on the BoD when I was UIC, which was important for many reasons.  Luckily, the board "got it" with respect to manager and coach conduct.

The breaking point for me was when my league hosted the Senior TOC, some of the visiting umpires from other leagues approached our snack bar requesting bottles of water and were denied. That was a real slap in the face to my peers and I decided then and there I was done with that league.

if you don't need their games to keep you "happy" ....then walk ....... OR ..... set up a meeting w/ the League President and demand a re-count-switcheroo type thing!

I haven't worked any games for the league in years.... I don't need them.  I stay doing it because I liked it, was good at it,  and was able to take care of my sons' umpiring schedules.

When I was a LL UIC, I was also the EVP of the League, so I was on the executive committee and protest committee. I would not have it any other way. If you aren't on the BOD you have little or no clout to make a difference. When the year was up I decided to not serve on the board or be the league UIC any longer, as I felt that the board was not giving the umpires the proper tools and authority to do their jobs.

Once you figure out that the managers are running the show, its time to go!!

I used to be a voting BOD but a few years ago I tried to "retire" from the board and they talked me into staying for just the umpires.  We made the UIC a Non-BOD position so I wouldn't have to go to meetings and all the mandatory BOD Events throughout the year.  Guess it came back to bite me?

I'm assuming since it's Little League, all of your umps are volunteers, correct?  

Damn, if a BOD doesn't protect the people who are providing them with THOUSANDS of dollars worth of free officiating, who will?

I'd walk away.  And take as many umps as you can with you.

• Like 6

I left the league in which I cut my teeth for very much the same reason.

I had rule support. I was 100% correct. But an impromptu 'meeting' with the coach and the president led to his EJ being adjuged unwarranted. Whatever. Your league. Fk it up all you like. I'm through. I walked away with my head held high. And this was a for pay league. Sorry, but my services are available for contract. My dignity isnt for sale. At any price.

• Like 12

All,

Thanks for your comments that just reassured I am correct in my way of thinking.

The fact that they had a meeting and only had the coach involved speak to the board still amazes me.  My umpires wrote their statements the next morning while he had 4 days to get his story polished to what they wanted to hear.

The few adult umpires I have left will never leave LL because that is all they know and thier kids all grew up playing there.  I think I'll either walk away, head held high or......... Stick around another year and drive them all absolutely crazy!!! :insertevillaughhere:

• Like 1

What was coach's version of the incident? Why did he think ejection and suspension were unwarranted? Would your resignation benefit the players?

I don't know. I wasn't given that information. I heard he basically denied the entire umpire report and the board took his side.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I know we all love baseball and have deeply held passion for youth baseball. I know you have a call and email into district president.  I'd offer one alternative to just walking--rally your support from your umpires, and then approach the league president and BoD.  Give them the opportunity to right the wrong.  All of these leagues have some mission statement of sportsmanship, a credo of making it about the kids, etc.  If you give them the chance to do the right thing for the kids and in accordance with the values they espouse, that would be a great outcome.  I'd hate to see--and I know you would too--kids from teams not even involved have their games at risk for no umpires or worse if the BoD thinks they can do better and risk kids' safety with a bunch of incompetent umps (I have seen THAT happen first hand).  I know it would be their decision and you can't be held responsible for that situation, but it would be great to avoid it.  

Just my $.02

• Like 1

It's easy for me to say from afar, but a physical assault cannot stand. Some yokels want to side with their buddy over arguing, whatever...meatheads will do that. But physical touching crosses WAY over the line - a stand has to be made.

• Like 1

What was coach's version of the incident? Why did he think ejection and suspension were unwarranted? Would your resignation benefit the players?

I don't know. I wasn't given that information. I heard he basically denied the entire umpire report and the board took his side.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

So maybe coach is saying: "My runner, while trying to score, was blocked by the catcher before he had the ball and was called out by PU.  Then PU called a strike on a pitch that bounced off the plate.  I asked for and was granted time, then came out with my hands in the air saying 'that's two horrible calls'.  PU immediately came over, yelled in my face that I was ejected (with no warning) and started pushing me in the chest with his hand. I grabbed his arm and told him he didn't have to do that.  PU grabbed my arm and pushed me away.  I then left the field peacefully.  And here are affidavits from the opposing coach, and a priest and a cop who saw the whole thing, saying that's exactly what happened and that the PU's version is inaccurate."

Here's the PU's version from the OP:

Manager comes out to argue a call and proceeds to tell the umpire "That's two you missed".  Umpire warns him and he does it again "That's two".  Umpire gave him a final warning and the manager does it again "That's two".  All 3 times he was demonstrating by using his two fingers.  Umpire then ejects manager.  As umpire is doing this, the manager grabs the umpires arm and states "You don't have to do that".  Umpire has to pull his arm away and then the manager leaves the field, BOD on site is notified.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you should get both (or all three, counting the BOD) sides before blowing up.