Beyond mad at the league I am UIC for.....

KLAH316

Got a response from Regional.....

"I wanted to acknowledge your email and let you know that this is certainly a league issue and not one for me to get involved in. But with that said, I do want you to know that I support your efforts as a volunteer umpire to do the right thing, enforce the rules and be a good role model. How you proceed and where you decide to volunteer is completely up to you. My hope is that you will continue to provide service to a league, multiple leagues and Districts that I am sure would love to have you as one of their own.

Good luck."

Oh well..... I never thought they would do anything.  They all protect each other.

Honestly, that's the response a Regional should give. They just can't get involved with every case like this. It's not a bad thing, either.

I'd be interested in what your District UIC might have to say about this. He/she should have the ear of the DA.

I was UIC at a local league for many years, and had the full backing of every President. If not, and I had a BoD undo a legit ejection of any my umpires, I'd walk. I'd also send a calm email to all the umpires in the league detailing why you left. If the BoD and President won't back the umpires, you're only standing on one leg out there.

IMO, you have to walk out. They left you no choice, because the next time you walk on the field you'll have zero credibility. ZERO.

My LL pays $45 a game...cash.  Its a great Friday night gig to get a DH and make some weekend cash.  My UIC knows that I'm not driving in to town, getting dressed up, and sweating my hiney off for $45...so I always get the DH.  It is about time for them to go up...HS makes $60 and they have tried to keep pace.

Honestly, that's the response a Regional should give. They just can't get involved with every case like this. It's not a bad thing, either.

I'd be interested in what your District UIC might have to say about this. He/she should have the ear of the DA.

I was UIC at a local league for many years, and had the full backing of every President. If not, and I had a BoD undo a legit ejection of any my umpires, I'd walk. I'd also send a calm email to all the umpires in the league detailing why you left. If the BoD and President won't back the umpires, you're only standing on one leg out there.

IMO, you have to walk out. They left you no choice, because the next time you walk on the field you'll have zero credibility. ZERO.

Went to the District UIC first.... He backed my umpire 100% and even said the League was wrong.  However, the DA won't act and obviously either will regional.

I've spent too much time and aggravation dealing with this.... :smachhead:

Just remember that if you decide to walk, YOU are not taking anything away from the kids, THEY are.

THEY decided to make a mockery of the game.

THEY decided to take authority away from their umpires.

THEY decided that a coach who cannot control himself is someone that should coach in all stars.

THEY decided to exclude you from the appeal process.

Eff THEM.

• Like 11

Just remember that if you decide to walk, YOU are not taking anything away from the kids, THEY are.

THEY decided to make a mockery of the game.

THEY decided to take authority away from their umpires.

THEY decided that a coach who cannot control himself is someone that should coach in all stars.

THEY decided to exclude you from the appeal process.

Eff THEM.

hear hear!

LL parents putting up more $$$ for paid umpires?? . . . HA! no chance of that happening in my area.

:-(

Eventually, they will run out of "volunteers". It gets harder each year to recruit new officials, and harder to retain the ones we have. Sooner or later, the pool will dry up, and the ones doing it for free will be gone.I have seen what leagues do when they decide to cut umps, when I played in a 13-15 league we had them cut ump funds my 13 yearold season we had formal, pro type umps in our rec league, 2 per game but then in my other 2 years the league left the ump company and used thier own cheaper guys who had been doing 12U for them, we got a plate ump from the league, a parent handled bases it was bad, I joined that leagues umps for 2 years working with biased untrained people was awful, now they joined a big league who hires a company(which i joined) to provide umps 2 for 12U 1 for 10U(but no parent "helper" paid guy covers everything). But that league learned free/cheal umps don't do as well, proved by their disaster of cutting ump budget

So, how much does LL really care about these fiefdoms and how they relate to the umpires. Inquiring minds want to know.

Does this give you an idea of what they think about Umpires?:

Page 14 of the LL Rule Book under "Umpires":

"There is no sound reason for paying umpires, or any other person whose services should be on a volunteer basis."

Does anyone think that the Williamsport "powers to be" are VOLUNTEERING THEIR SERVICES?? . . . BS!

IMHO, their statement is degrading and uncalled for . . . and I've told them so verbally and in writing.

SJA :-( Its insane that they won't pay for quality services, the fact is you can't not pay for a valuable commodity in short supply There's a reason their umps are free

I agree with everything that's been said.  Also, as an experienced ump who just had his first kid, I need that money as an extra push to pull me away from my family.  I've never umpired for the money, but it's far easier to make time when there is $50-$70 waiting at the end of the day (and to justify to my wife). 

The UIC of our LL (nearly 1500 kids playing on 13 busy fields) has enough trouble finding enough paid umpires to cover all of the games.  He was out calling a rescheduled game Thursday night because he couldn't find anyone else to cover it.  

I don't know how a LL can do it with just volunteers.  We do use the 2-man system for all kid-pitch games.  I suppose you could drop all those down to 1-man but I still think it would be a problem staffing the games.

My 14yr old son starting officiating this season at the 6yr old level.  He's paid $20 game.  The kid-pitch baseball pays $35 for the BU and $45 for the PU.  Don't know about softball.

Umpires for 6u?

Umpires for 6u?

No umpires, no score for TB4 and TB5. One umpire, a teenager, for coach-pitch PW6, PW7, PW8. Two umpires for kid-pitch Minor 9 and up.

not to prolong this, but what do they charge to play??

KLAH316:

I want to send you a quick note of support. Do what you think is right brother. Also want to mention that I felt completely supported by our common assigner on an EJ I had the other night, both on my call to report it and after filling my report. He even suggested I should have dumped the kid sooner.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

@KenBAZ @kylejt

I did everything I could short of doing something drastic that would effect the kids.....

The DA refused to answer my calls/emails (He's friends with the president) and the Regional LL UIC said that they wouldnt get involved and was leaving it as a local league issue.

Our season ends next Friday and I will be done with them as soon as the last out is made in the championship game.

Thanks for the support!

• Like 2

Fair enough.

Be sure to send a resignation email to the new and old BoD members. Also include all your current umpires in the blast. Don't make it inflammatory, threatening or hateful.

"Due to the lack of support of our umpire team from the current Board of Directors, and their refusal to follow the Little League rules, I feel I can no longer effectively umpire, or ask anyone else to umpire for the league." Short and sweet. And let them figure out the last part.

Short of resigning on the spot, you could have just refused to put umpires on that managers next game. Oh well.

Sorry to hear about this. I'd expect the new BoD, and new President (if there is one) to come groveling at your feet to stay. Decent LL UICs are tough to get, and tougher to retain.

Remember, the President appoints umpires. Are you getting a new President soon?

• Like 1

Fair enough.

Be sure to send a resignation email to the new and old BoD members. Also include all your current umpires in the blast. Don't make it inflammatory, threatening or hateful.

"Due to the lack of support of our umpire team from the current Board of Directors, and their refusal to follow the Little League rules, I feel I can no longer effectively umpire, or ask anyone else to umpire for the league." Short and sweet. And let them figure out the last part.

Short of resigning on the spot, you could have just refused to put umpires on that managers next game. Oh well.

Sorry to hear about this. I'd expect the new BoD, and new President (if there is one) to come groveling at your feet to stay. Decent LL UICs are tough to get, and tougher to retain.

Remember, the President appoints umpires. Are you getting a new President soon?

"I'd expect the new BoD, and new President (if there is one) to come groveling at your feet to stay"

Dont count on this.

• Like 2

My thoughts for what it's worth, and feel free to ignore.  First, you are completely and wholly justified to resign and I would support that 100%.  But I get a sense you would like a different outcome.  Perhaps you would like commitment for the rest of this season and going forward that they will (1) support the decisions of the umpires (2) enforce their own policies and (3) include you and/or the umpire involved in any reviews related to post-game discipline.  They probably can't rescind their previous rescission of the suspension (at least and still save face).  But if you can get strong commitment going forward, you might word your letter differently, or perhaps gain support from board members who are friends prior to taking definitive actions.  

To be clear, I'd be furious as well, but I sense you have a lot invested in this league and some love for it as well.  Either way I hope it turns out for the best.  

• Like 2

My thoughts for what it's worth, and feel free to ignore.  First, you are completely and wholly justified to resign and I would support that 100%.  But I get a sense you would like a different outcome.  Perhaps you would like commitment for the rest of this season and going forward that they will (1) support the decisions of the umpires (2) enforce their own policies and (3) include you and/or the umpire involved in any reviews related to post-game discipline.  They probably can't rescind their previous rescission of the suspension (at least and still save face).  But if you can get strong commitment going forward, you might word your letter differently, or perhaps gain support from board members who are friends prior to taking definitive actions.  

To be clear, I'd be furious as well, but I sense you have a lot invested in this league and some love for it as well.  Either way I hope it turns out for the best.  

I think this is an excellent point, and I could see something short of resignation if this was a run-of-the-mill refusal to support an ejection. But as described in the OP, this was about the PHYSICAL ASSAULT of an umpire by a coach! Perhaps the reality was a little more nuanced than described but I'm not sure I see how. Either party grabbing or putting their hands on the other raises this an order of magnitude above just a weak board refusing to support an umpire. I could grudgingly go along with a board saving face by not re-instituting a 'normal' ejection/suspension, but physically grabbing an official??? That is beyond the pale and I could not in good conscience support such an action. An umpire who did 1/10 of that would be blackballed forever - and they can't suspend the coach 1 game in accordance with their rules?

If this is allowed, what's next?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the support and words of wisdom.....

I have been on this BOD for 7 years and been UIC for all of them except for 1... (Someone else thought they could do it better several years ago..... They didn't even last one year).  We also do a Fall Ball season so I've been UIC for about 12 seasons.  Trust me, when I tell them all I am stepping down there will not be any begging of me to stay.  I ripped the BOD pretty good in the immediate aftermath of the incident and they don't support the umpires, almost all of them are coaches, so you know where the loyalty lies.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to moving on!

Thanks everyone for the support and words of wisdom.....

I have been on this BOD for 7 years and been UIC for all of them except for 1... (Someone else thought they could do it better several years ago..... They didn't even last one year).  We also do a Fall Ball season so I've been UIC for about 12 seasons.  Trust me, when I tell them all I am stepping down there will not be any begging of me to stay.  I ripped the BOD pretty good in the immediate aftermath of the incident and they don't support the umpires, almost all of them are coaches, so you know where the loyalty lies.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to moving on!

Isn't that a violation of the LL charter?

• Like 1

I ripped the BOD pretty good in the immediate aftermath of the incident and they don't support the umpires, almost all of them are coaches, so you know where the loyalty lies.

Isn't that a violation of the LL charter?

Since when did LL board members (or coaches, or parents, or players) start reading the LL rule book?