Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4553 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I finally got to umpire my first ever baseball game yesterday afternoon. A 10U double header, each 5 innings. I worked the bases in game 1 and switched the plate in game 2. Game 1 on the bases went smoothly, however Game 2 behind the plate was rough - especially the first two innings. As none of you know me personally, I will just tell you this about myself. I am typically a very calm, relaxed, laid back person albeit typically very organized. These characteristics did not translate to the ball diamond for my first go around. Going into this game I was nervous, anxious, and pumped full of adrenaline. By the time I got home last night I was mentally and physically exhausted and just crashed. 

 

After decompressing this morning and reflecting on the game, I trace my mistakes and problems (Which I will elborate on in a moment) to a few things. Those being 1. Nervouness 2. Inexperience 3.Lack of confidence

 

Now, going into a few specifics here (If I listed everything this would be one hell of a long post, so I will hit the highlites).

 

On the bases, not many issues but plenty to work on. I need to work on getting myself into position better, following the play,  and being a better team mate to my partner. I was more focused on not embarresing myself as opposed to paying attention to the factors I needed to be paying attention to help him out when needed. I also needed to to do a better job of situational thinking and anticipating.

 

Behind the dish - As I mentioned, first two innings were rough. I had a tough time staying on top of my pitch count. I was a bit overwhelmed and just got lost a few times. I had a kid strike out on four strikes - yikes! I regrouped, gathered myself and got things back on track for the final three innnings which were by no means perfect but no more major doozies like that.

 

Through out the entire game, I know my strike zone was all over the place. I really struggled finding a consistent zone for these little kids who were all over the place with their pitching. I found myself trying to rationalize a strike call to help a kid out if possible and speed things up. This led to rushing things and not taking my time. My mechanics, both physical and verbal, were sloppy and inconsistent. I had it drilled into my head going into the game that I needed to sloooow dooown and even though I knew it in my head, I could not make it translate into the way I called my first game.

 

While I won't say my first experience was a bad one, it wasnt really a good one either. I needed to get some experience, and that is exactly what I got. I got positive feedback from coaches and partner (Partner knew it was first game, coaches obviously didn't - although by the time the game was completed they may have suspected as much). My partners advice was to allow myself to feel good about getting the first game under my belt but that is difficult when I know I have a TON to work on. 

 

On a positive note, these were both great games to have as my first experience. Not competitive at all (Both were 20-0 shutouts), coaches were all great guys, and my partner was actually the pastor at my church so no stress as far as having a difficult partner.

 

Post is longer than I intended but I wanted to make sure I got the important details included so I could get some really good advice and feedback. I have round two this Saturday in a 12U DH. I suspect I will spend the majority of my time between now and then making sure I am much better in my second appearence than in my first. My goal at this point is to make sure yesterday is the worst outting I ever do as an umpire in my entire career.

  • Like 1
Posted

You've already hit on a few important points - the most important being proper timing.  Many mistakes can be traced to poor timing (at least for me).

 

One last piece of advice - know your strike zone before you get behind the plate.  Once you know your zone, you will not be trying to rationalize ball or strike - it will be was it in the zone or out of it.  Focus on the pitch and where it is, not whether or not you are helping anyone out.

 

Many umpires work a single game, get overwhelmed and quit.  Don't get overwhelmed and try to work on everything at once.  Focus on one thing your next game (hint:  timing!) and a lot of other things will naturally work themselves out.  If you don't have a mentor, use this site as one.  Lots of people here who can help you get better (as long as you let them :))

 

PS - Welcome to Umpire-Empire!

Posted

You've already taken a huge step in realizing that you aren't perfect right out of gate (like some do) and you know that there will always be things that you need to work on (like some don't).

This is the perfect place to come, share your experiences and learn from great professional umpires!!

 

Welcome!

Posted

Keep it up. Timing is the key. Slow down.

 

 

Sounds like @Jocko 's games everyday!

  • Like 2
Posted

Welcome aboard.

 

Just to echo what Mike P said.  Stick with it.  The more experience you obtain, the more comfortable you will feel.  This is especially important after the first time a coach gives you a hard time.

 

Be patient working your way up with regard to levels of play.  If you try to rush it too quick, you may also become discouraged.

 

You found a GREAT resource here with the folks at UE.  Take advantage of it as much as possible.  These gents (and ladies) can teach you LOTS.

 

Good luck!!!

  • Like 1
Posted

I suggest you don your mask, grab your indicator, and find a game on tv. Work the dish with whomever has the stick for that game. While alot of what they do isnt recommended, your timing will improve. Call the game with the televised crew as if you were working the plate in a real game. Sounds crazy, but it helps. I mean LITERALLY get into your stance, lock in when HP locks in, call the pitches with him, everything. Remove your mask when he does. Really call the game. Try it.

  • Like 4
Posted

I suggest you don your mask, grab your indicator, and find a game on tv. Work the dish with whomever has the stick for that game. While alot of what they do isnt recommended, your timing will improve. Call the game with the televised crew as if you were working the plate in a real game. Sounds crazy, but it helps. I mean LITERALLY get into your stance, lock in when HP locks in, call the pitches with him, everything. Remove your mask when he does. Really call the game. Try it.o

Just make sure no one else is home LOL.  Don't go to the bar to do this...but good advice nonetheless.

Posted

You could probably get some family to sit behind you and give you some grief.....

 

Chesty Puller used to have his troops train under live artillery fire.  Try to make the training as realistic as possible.

 

:wave:

Posted

I suggest you don your mask, grab your indicator, and find a game on tv. Work the dish with whomever has the stick for that game. While alot of what they do isnt recommended, your timing will improve. Call the game with the televised crew as if you were working the plate in a real game. Sounds crazy, but it helps. I mean LITERALLY get into your stance, lock in when HP locks in, call the pitches with him, everything. Remove your mask when he does. Really call the game. Try it.o

Setup a video recorder to record you doing this. That way you can actually see what you look like.

  • Like 2
Posted

When the adrenaline is flowing you revert to muscle memory. Practice in the mirror. 

 

Also, a timing mechanism is not the same as good timing but two quick chews on a piece of gum after the ball his the catcher's glove and before you make your call may help you slow down enough to develop good timing. 

 

Finally, be sure you can see the pitch leave the pitcher's hand and read the logo on the catcher's glove when he receives it. The idea is track the entire trajectory of the pitch (eyes move, head stays still) even when your instinct tells you it's right down the middle or it has no chance of becoming a strike.

  • Like 1
Posted

Don't be too discouraged about your strike zone. Years ago, I read something by a MLB umpire to the effect that, as they nibbled at the corners, pitchers with good control made every pitch look like a strike. This has been my experience: when a pitcher is consistent, it's easier to lock into your strike zone. Kids' games are very difficult to call, in part because pitchers tend to be all over the place, so it's harder to know what a strike "looks like." When a kid is up, down, in, out, then throws a borderline pitch, it won't look "strikeable."

 

I'm sure I'm not the only person who will tell you that well-played games are easier to work and that good pitchers (and catchers) make your work behind the plate easier.

  • Like 1
Posted

Lots of good advice. Accept that you are not perfect and always strive to get better. Don't worry, about the time everything feels like it is getting easier, the season will be over and you'll have to start over again next year...unless you live in CA or FL where the season never ends! At least next year you will have that experience to start yourself at a higher level.

Posted

Gain all the knowledge you can from RELIABLE SOURCES, don't be afraid to ask questions from RELIABLE SOURCES, learn from experience, know your limitations as you progress, and most of all, ENJOY umpiring!

SJA :-)

Posted

Thanks to everyone that has weighed in with advice and encouragement. I was definitely a little down after the games Sunday and feeling slightly overwhelmed, but after seeing everyone's comments and knowing what I need to do to improve my next time around, I'm more than ready to get back after it.

 

Its interesting how you can build somthing up in your mind to feel like the 7th game of the world series and when things don't go how you saw them playing out in your mind beforehand- feeling like you just blew the 7th game of the world series. I put the weight of the world on my shoulders for this little league game and it really ended up burning me on the mental side of things before, during, and after the game was over. If nothing else improves (I'm praying lots of things improve), I know my approach and expectations will have me in a better mindset going into my next games on Saturday.

Posted

Hang in there, it's just a game, you'll be fine. Look at it this way, 2 seconds after the end of the game, the only thing that the kids were worried about was their next Xbox game

Posted

Hang in there, it's just a game, you'll be fine. Look at it this way, 2 seconds after the end of the game, the only thing that the kids were worried about was their next Xbox game

 

Totally untrue.  Snack first, then Xbox.

  • Like 3
Posted

 

Hang in there, it's just a game, you'll be fine. Look at it this way, 2 seconds after the end of the game, the only thing that the kids were worried about was their next Xbox game

 

Totally untrue.  Snack first, then Xbox.

 

 

Actually, I think the order is Jetpack Joyride on their iPhones, snack, Vine, drink, then Xbox

  • Like 1
Posted

Hang in there, it's just a game, you'll be fine. Look at it this way, 2 seconds after the end of the game, the only thing that the kids were worried about was their next Xbox game

 

Totally untrue.  Snack first, then Xbox.

 

Actually, I think the order is Jetpack Joyride on their iPhones, snack, Vine, drink, then Xbox

It's all about the Capri suns and Little Debbie's. No one was happier than LLs when they brought back the Twinkies.

Posted

 

Hang in there, it's just a game, you'll be fine. Look at it this way, 2 seconds after the end of the game, the only thing that the kids were worried about was their next Xbox game

 

Totally untrue.  Snack first, then Xbox.

 

You forgot the nap.

  • Like 1
Posted

Thanks to everyone that has weighed in with advice and encouragement. I was definitely a little down after the games Sunday and feeling slightly overwhelmed, but after seeing everyone's comments and knowing what I need to do to improve my next time around, I'm more than ready to get back after it.

 

Its interesting how you can build somthing up in your mind to feel like the 7th game of the world series and when things don't go how you saw them playing out in your mind beforehand- feeling like you just blew the 7th game of the world series. I put the weight of the world on my shoulders for this little league game and it really ended up burning me on the mental side of things before, during, and after the game was over. If nothing else improves (I'm praying lots of things improve), I know my approach and expectations will have me in a better mindset going into my next games on Saturday.

 

It sounds like you are on the right track, but I'd suggest that you not put undue pressure on yourself so you don't get discouraged. You will likely improve because you are thinking (and learning) about what you are doing and why. There is no substitute for experience and obviously that only comes with time. And there will always be good days and bad days, good games and bad games. 

×
×
  • Create New...