Color of Shoes

tankmjg24
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3720 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I really have no idea where this question should be posted so I am putting it in the free for all section (mods feel free to move if need be).  After 500 or so games the side of my Reebok field shoes finally gave out.  After much thought, I decided to replace them with the New Balance model.  Now here lies my question.  I wanted the all black version ( http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/MU950LK-L.jpg) but ended up with the black/silver/white version (http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/MU950LS-L.jpg). I usually always wear all black shoes, but this was purchased for me as a gift and the buyer did not realize there were different versions.  I initially was going to return them for the all black version, but after seeing the shoe in person it really is a sharp looking shoe.  I am concerned though that the white will be distracting and that after my first week of games that the white will become dirty and uncleanable.  What are everyone's thoughts?  Thanks. 

Distracting to who?

If you clean your shoes after each game...even with water...they'll look brand new all year.  I have a pair of Reebok Zigs that I wore all of last year and they still look almost as good as they did the day I bought them. (BTW - I'm also willing to sell them to anyone interested, 11 1/2.  Contact me if interested).

• Like 2

I have the same shoes you got as a gift and to me there is no problem with them.  They clean up fine, even after a day on the dustbowl fields I umpire on.

Who will the white distract?  If your association does not have a rule against wearing shoes which contain some white, go ahead and wear them, they are fine shoes

If you take care of the Whites and clean after every game...I like to use scrubbing bubbles, they will be great! I have a pretty decent rotation of base shoes(5-6) and I have had coaches say to me "Hey new shoes huh?...." and the shoes are a year or 2 old. If you take care of them right and get a nice brush and keep some scrubbing bubbles and water handy then you will be great!

My advice would be that if you don't plan on keeping the white looking nice, then go with the all black! I love and frankly must have some white on my shoes(to each their own!) but to me nothing says LAZY more then when I see a fellow umpire with white on the shoe that he doesn't bother to keep clean!

I've got some other pretty solid cleaning methods too... if you want them just ask! But I figure for someone just dipping the toe into the white on the shoe that's a good place to start.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick responses.  I do a variety of levels ranging from youth to college.  A few of the fields are either turfed or perfectly manicured, while others are not the best.  I clean my shoes both after a game and then again before going out onto the field, however I was worried about heavy mud (which is one reason why I steered away from the Reebok Zig Zags) clinging to the whites of the shoe.  The various organizations I officiate with do not mind a little white, and I would classify this as a little.  The more I think about it the more I like the look and the more I am leaning towards keeping them. 

I don't want to sound like I'm more-than-willing to spend someone else's money, but get a back-up pair of black ones if the white marks are a possible concern. When you rotate, both pairs of shoes last longer somehow. I don't know how, but they do.

A while back, at a peer's urging, I grabbed a pair of regular Zigs with their ridiculous design elements. (I got a great deal on ebay)

6f82241d-f049-4711-ba1e-e61e6f387e48_zps

The first time I saw them, I had to use eye drops. But once I slipped them on and ran in them, I didn't care if they were pink and orange. I was so taken by them and their lightness and comfort and traction, that I went back up and grabbed up a pair of all-black back-ups while that deal was still being offered. And I did so just in case I am required or feel compelled to wear all-black shoes by a partner or an observer.

f18eab0c-6576-4349-8a6b-ab5ff292196a_zps

I just don't want to do a base game without the Zigs, so the muted all-black design seemed to be a must. You'll feel the same once you run around in those new NBs. I guess the message is that you will probably want to wear the ones with the white trim most of the time, but may need to wear all-black ones on occasion if it's mandatory. Now if it's mandatory in your association to wear all-black, you can wear the B&W ones everywhere else. (Thankfully, that all-black standard has almost disappeared.) 

And if you're ever given a gear gift---especially by a woman---you should never return it. And because your own money wasn't spent on these NBs, maybe affording the all-black back-ups is easier.

What is it that people have against having white on your shoes? The only people that I feel may be distracted are people who don't want to seem to move forward with the rest of the world. Sometimes I add avocado to my cheeseburger. Yes, it's acceptable to do that.

As far as cleaning, I spray mine in the sink and then scrub them with a nylon scrub brush and hot soapy water. Take care of the soles of the shoes as well. This technique is the same one I use on those distracting all black shoes. Those things are hideous! 

Please let the slamming comments begin.

• Like 1

Personally I think that white adds a bit of contrast to the shoe that makes it look very sharp.  However I do know some people that would rather hang up their gear than be caught wearing anything white.  You should have seen the look on their faces when my one association decided to add white shirts to the rotation haha.   

What is it that people have against having white on your shoes? The only people that I feel may be distracted are people who don't want to seem to move forward with the rest of the world. Sometimes I add avocado to my cheeseburger. Yes, it's acceptable to do that.

As far as cleaning, I spray mine in the sink and then scrub them with a nylon scrub brush and hot soapy water. Take care of the soles of the shoes as well. This technique is the same one I use on those distracting all black shoes. Those things are hideous! 

I always get avocados!!

• Like 1

I always get avocados!!

Only because you're a rebel.

I have the white highlighted shoes and the only problem I have found is that because I am so fast, sometimes the white actually flashes reflected light into the players eyes. This happens only in certain meteorological conditions though.

• Like 3

I always get avocados!!

Only because you're a rebel.

my wife always gets avocado on her Pita Pit. I dont cause I'm cheap.

I have the white highlighted shoes and the only problem I have found is that because I am so fast, sometimes the white actually flashes reflected light into the players eyes. This happens only in certain meteorological conditions though.

Thus you have the reason that guys like you and I must carry a pair of all-black back-ups: player safety!

so thats why there are so many erros in your games!

I always get avocados!! Only because you're a rebel.

my wife always gets avocado on her Pita Pit. I dont cause I'm cheap.

Thus you have the reason that guys like you and I must carry a pair of all-black back-ups: player safety!

so thats why there are so many erros in your games!

Just as many as in your typing !!!   :wave:

• Like 1

Please forgive those of us who are traditionalists....  :shakehead:

• Like 1

Is there any other way to clean shoes?

f18eab0c-6576-4349-8a6b-ab5ff292196a_zps

I got a pair of these on Saturday for $75 new.  I can finally get rid of my 995s!

No offense, but these are hideous!  ICK

• Like 2

What makes black shoes traditional?

• 3 weeks later...

Black is traditional because that's what's been worn for years. The all black Zigs are as ugly as the white ones. I personally hate white on shoes but don't ding guys for it. I find white on shoes ugly, I don't care if it's walking on a field or in the mall, they're ugly. I am a huge NB fan but they are still the black version. It took me almost 35 years to buy a mask that wasn't 100% black, and I only tried a grey frame because the vision was supposed to be better. White on my shoes will not change my performance in any way so it becomes a matter of looks, well it looks like crap.
  • Like 4

Please forgive those of us who are traditionalists.... :shakehead:

Black is traditional because that's what's been worn for years. The all black Zigs are as ugly as the white ones. I personally hate white on shoes but don't ding guys for it. I find white on shoes ugly, I don't care if it's walking on a field or in the mall, they're ugly. I am a huge NB fan but they are still the black version. It took me almost 35 years to buy a mask that wasn't 100% black, and I only tried a grey frame because the vision was supposed to be better. White on my shoes will not change my performance in any way so it becomes a matter of looks, well it looks like crap.

You are just an old traditionalist fart! :wave:

• Like 1