State Uniform Policy

yawetag
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2796 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Michigan:

The required uniform of an umpire for both regular season and tournament contests consists of either a navy blue or powder blue pullover with red/white or navy/white sleeve and collar stripes, gray slacks and proper umpire cap.  Although either navy blue or powder blue pullover shirts are allowed, both (all) umpires must wear the same color pullover.  An umpires cap with the MHSAA monogrammed logo is permitted.  All other articles (i.e., turtleneck, undershirt and jacket) shall be navy blue. The belt, shoes and socks shall be solid black. The ball bag shall be either gray or navy blue. The current MHSAA OFFICIALS EMBLEM shall be visible and WORN ON THE LEFT POCKET.

Umpire Shirts- Honig’s MHMLS, HMLSN, HMLSWN, HMLSLB or equivalent
Umpire Pants- Any of the Honig’s PB or B model gray pants or equivalent are acceptable.
Jacket- M18, K17N or equivalent
Cap- MK02 or MK03

FWIW, I've never heard of a person getting in trouble, or for that matter even been talked to, about having white on their shoes… I wish they would do away with the grey ball bags. I also wish they would do away with the white striped powder blue and adapt the black collar, but  :shrug:

Yup ... LOTS of guys have some white on their shoes, even guys doing a district game I saw last season (base ump).    Also, I've seen and worked games with the "Pro Polo Blue" (black collared) shirts w/ the MHSAA Patches on them and never heard a word.   The only time (in Michigan) that you could get 'scolded' is if 1) your assignor is there, or 2) if one of the coaches reports you ....

Primarily though, ...we wear Navy .... it is what it is.   That being said, .... I don't wear 'navy' undergarments evertime, ... I'll wear red most of the time ....

Please post pictures of undergarmets.

not necessary ....  t-shirts, compression stuff, turtle necks etc are supposed to be navy per Michigan code, ...I typically will wear red under a navy jersey, etc

Any lace on these undergarmets?

Just one picture for me and Chief Rolo please.

• Like 3

Here's mine...very liberating.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hanky-panky-retro-contrast-trim-high-waist-thong/3360495?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_ite=hanky_panky_'retro'_contrast_trim_high_waist_thong:594652&cm_pla=underwear/lingerie:women:panty/brief&cm_ven=Google_Product_Ads&mr:referralID=885a8e13-7c61-11e3-9f1f-001b2166becc

Quit wearing Red!!

If red is good enough for POTUS, it's good enough for me.

post-2614-0-08789100-1389624951_thumb.jp

Actually, the South Carolina High School League (SCHSL) was very lax about a uniform policy for years.  They only cared that the "umpires matched".  They then left it up to the different local umpire associations around the state to set uniform requirements for their members.

Then this past year the proverbial crap hit the fan when two umpires (from another part of the state) wore camouflage shirts on the field.  (I have no idea who the umpires were that wore those shirts.)  The SCHSL fielded numerous complaints and word came down to the local associations (I'm the President of my association) that the camouflage shirts were "unprofessional" and "unacceptable" in high school baseball.

To the SCHSL's credit, they did not go overboard and write a uniform policy.  But, they did make it known that they want black, navy or polo blue shirts. 

Our association mandates charcoal pants and allows for the wearing of any of those color shirts...as long as the umpires match.  For some of our members who are in a tight financial situation, we only require that each member have a navy shirt.  Next year, we will require that each member have a black shirt.  (When we make a major uniform change (such as going from heather gray to charcoal gray pants OR from navy to black as our "primary" shirt color)) we give a 1+ year notice so that our "less financially able" members can have time to plan and save to purchase the new uniform requirement.

• Like 1

Eventhough we swtich to black and Polo Blue we have 2 guys. One has been Umpiring HS 56 years. The other 45 Years they have nothing but a Navy Blue Shirt and Jacket.

So when we work with them we have to accomodate them. :shakehead:

Florida: black or polo blue and charcoal pants.

But for regular season as long as we match we can wear any color.

I'm a little perturbed that Texas hasn't approved red yet.

According to the Texas TASO site, red is an approved state wide color. It is the decision, as I understand it, of each local TASO chapter, to limit colors you can wear, or you can wear all the colors, as long as each crew member is dressed alike. Check your local association guidelines.

• Like 1

It does bother me that some officials gripe about needing to get new uniforms. You should be replacing them regularly anyway. At the HS/ NCAA level, heck even at PONY & AAU, you are paid for working games. You should anticipate a portion of your earnings going to new uniforms or equipment. 

But another thing which bothers me is some of these exclusive purchasing agreements states or associations enter into. For example the shirt VAUMP posted is $40. And the only place you can get it. Where before I'd get my shirts at Ump-Attire.com for $22 - $29 or less when you catch sales. IMO this smirks of collusion. Take away all my choice and then mandate me but your "average" product at an extreme price. 

I have no problem mandating uniforms, but don't take away our choice. Let me find the products I want from the provider I choose. then make the embroidery available for me to take to the place of my choosing. 

• Like 3

It does bother me that some officials gripe about needing to get new uniforms. You should be replacing them regularly anyway. At the HS/ NCAA level, heck even at PONY & AAU, you are paid for working games. You should anticipate a portion of your earnings going to new uniforms or equipment. 

But another thing which bothers me is some of these exclusive purchasing agreements states or associations enter into. For example the shirt VAUMP posted is $40. And the only place you can get it. Where before I'd get my shirts at Ump-Attire.com for $22 - $29 or less when you catch sales. IMO this smirks of collusion. Take away all my choice and then mandate me but your "average" product at an extreme price. 

I have no problem mandating uniforms, but don't take away our choice. Let me find the products I want from the provider I choose. then make the embroidery available for me to take to the place of my choosing. 

One of the issues here is we are underpaid. If we got real money a $40 shirt would not be a problem.

• Like 2

That is the only place where you can get the shirts with the flag and VHSL patch already attached (it's actually not a patch but part of the fabric).  You can buy any shirt you'd like and have the patches sewn on yourself.  That's what I did.  We even got two patches and flags.  I'm not a big fan of the Cliff Keen shirts, so I patched and flagged my Smitty shirts.

Michigan:

The required uniform of an umpire for both regular season and tournament contests consists of either a navy blue or powder blue pullover with red/white or navy/white sleeve and collar stripes, gray slacks and proper umpire cap.  Although either navy blue or powder blue pullover shirts are allowed, both (all) umpires must wear the same color pullover.  An umpires cap with the MHSAA monogrammed logo is permitted.  All other articles (i.e., turtleneck, undershirt and jacket) shall be navy blue. The belt, shoes and socks shall be solid black. The ball bag shall be either gray or navy blue. The current MHSAA OFFICIALS EMBLEM shall be visible and WORN ON THE LEFT POCKET.

Umpire Pants- Any of the Honig’s PB or B model gray pants or equivalent are acceptable.
Cap- MK02 or MK03

FWIW, I've never heard of a person getting in trouble, or for that matter even been talked to, about having white on their shoes… I wish they would do away with the grey ball bags. I also wish they would do away with the white striped powder blue and adapt the black collar, but  :shrug:

Yup ... LOTS of guys have some white on their shoes, even guys doing a district game I saw last season (base ump).    Also, I've seen and worked games with the "Pro Polo Blue" (black collared) shirts w/ the MHSAA Patches on them and never heard a word.   The only time (in Michigan) that you could get 'scolded' is if 1) your assignor is there, or 2) if one of the coaches reports you ....

Primarily though, ...we wear Navy .... it is what it is.   That being said, .... I don't wear 'navy' undergarments evertime, ... I'll wear red most of the time ....

Red is hot. You're such a tease.

NJ- Navy pullover, charcoal pants. Blue jacket, no stripes for state tourney. Red.white stripe OK for regular season.

And new this year..Black shirts/ jackets are allowed for regular season!!  :beerbang

Only problem I see...Very few of my assigned partners are going to have black shirts/jackets. Geez, I had to hear 'em bitching a few years ago when they had to get rid of their 8 year old heathers. 

I would be a part of the very few who will not bitch!

• Like 2

Eventhough we swtich to black and Polo Blue we have 2 guys. One has been Umpiring HS 56 years. The other 45 Years they have nothing but a Navy Blue Shirt and Jacket.

Again, change or retire. Either way you're part of the solution. Those guys need to hop on board.

One of the issues here is we are underpaid. If we got real money a $40 shirt would not be a problem.

$40.00 per shirt is a problem, real money or not. That's ridiculous.

Michigan:

Cap- MK02 or MK03

Please post pictures of undergarmets.

not necessary ....  t-shirts, compression stuff, turtle necks etc are supposed to be navy per Michigan code, ...I typically will wear red under a navy jersey, etc

I may have just thrown up a little in my mouth. :wow:  

Again, change or retire. Either way you're part of the solution. Those guys need to hop on boardOr y'all could respect

Or, y'all could respect your elders, suck it up, and go with the retro color (without bitching about it)...it's not like you're working a state playoff game with these guys.

Alabama HS uniform requirements: Charcoal pants, Navy shirt, navy or gray ball bags. Beginning in 2015, we MUST wear the new state-approved shirt, with the state logo sublimated into the fabric. No more shirts with the state patch. This means that all umpires must replace their existing stockpile of shirts. The state association had approved, last year, an alternate color (cream) that could be worn if both umpires matched. The new regulations have all but reversed that decision, as there are no sublimated cream shirts available. We can buy our new shirts from either One Stop, a local equipment/supplies dealer, who has a horrible reputation among officials due to the fact that their customer service makes bill collectors seem like nice, kind folks, or from Cliff Keen. The new shirts at CK are $54.95 each, unless one needs a two or three X, in which case the cost jumps up to $63.50.

$55 for a shirt you can get elsewhere for cheaper is ridiculous. Yes, their sublimating it, but that is less expensive than embroidery generally speaking. They are completely taking advantage of their officials.

I don't know when I've ever seen a umpires shirt in that price range.

• Like 2

$55 for a shirt you can get elsewhere for cheaper is ridiculous. Yes, their sublimating it, but that is less expensive than embroidery generally speaking. They are completely taking advantage of their officials.

What is the pay for HS ball in VA?

I'm sure the 5% rebate that the AHSAA gets has nothing to do with the pricing...