Umpire in Chief

Minor League Baseball Umpire Training Academy

38yr old-20 yr military retiree, the gentlemen is still in great physical shape, is Pro Umpire School past tense for a guy in that situation. I understand the training would be beneficial but I don't see a chance at PBUC being that old.

I'll throw my hat in there that I am interested in attending... Very long story short, college is looking more and more difficult to attend for me this year, and I should have the money to attend following my high school grad party.

I figure that now at 18 is as good a time as any to go for it... I mean, why not? Worst case scenario, I leave after a month of instruction with a great experience, and I have that diploma under my belt to work my way up into the college ranks. I then get into formal schooling at a community college after a "gap year"... Best case scenario, the obvious. I'm on my way.

Many people I've talked to though say that it's smarter to get a college diploma prior to going for it because you will probably need it somewhere down the road. What are your, and the umpire community on UE's, thoughts on attending TUS straight out of high school?

Thoughts?

I think you always need to keep this situation in mind that has happened to more than one person. What if you became the sole source of support for somebody right now as you read this forum. What would you do? This has happened to more than one person in their lifetime. You would have to go to work doing something and support that somebody right now with a HS education. Are you prepared for that??? Hardly anyone is. But what if somebody told you they would give you 4 years before that situation would occur. Would you putter around doing the best you could with the HS education and try and work your way up quickly within some company with that HS degree. Would you go to College and get a degree and then go out and do your best with that college degree. Would you go for a specific occupation, electrician, etc that would allow you to take care of someone?? Do you have a friend that would hire you into a good job without a College education. Do you have some kind of "in" for something that does not require much education, yet pays really well? Or, would you go to the umpire school and get picked for a job and then get released at the end of your advanced A ball year? Do you have that "in" for a immediate job that would let you take care of and support someone you love in this scenario???? I believe statistics will still show that the longer you stay out of school after graduating HS, the less likely you will be to pick back up where you left off.

As long as you have that immediate "in" for a job that would let you support someone you love, then you can pretty much can do anything at anytime you want. However if that is not the case, you must make a plan for the best way to handle that contingency. You must follow that Clint Eastwood line--"a man's gotta know his limitations." Are you mature enough to know what you can and cannot do??? Will you do it???

In an emergency situation, could you give 100% to a job and keep your loved one or ones afloat and go back to school at the same time. Hard? Yes, but it has been done. But, not everyone can do it. It takes that special person. Is that person you. This in no ways means that someone who cannot or could not handle a situation like that is a slacker, but you must know what you can do and your limitations.

There are not as many taking care of loved ones jobs out there as there were at one time for the HS graduate. Keep those statistics in the back of your mind at all times.

Now, we all know you are going to be the next Babe Ruth (oops, Al Barlick, Bill Klem, Doug Harvey) of umpiring, so you will be working as a call up by the age of 25 and on your way. Oops, all of a sudden, you suffer a career ending umpire injury. This does not mean a wheelchair type injury, just blown out ACL or knee or back injury, whatever you could think of here that would kill the mobility needed to umpire effectively. It could happen at any time on the way up the ladder but before signing full time. Done, finished, washed up, now what are you going to do. What if that taking care of a loved one happens right at the same time as the career ending injury.

None of the above is meant to discourage anyone. There could be 9-5 jobs out there where an injury could hamper the working person right now.

Now, some statistics on when the current Crew Chiefs started. Some may or may not have started or finished College. Tim Welke, from your home state of Michigan, which by the way has had several MLBU's was 19 when he started in MiLB. One could skip leagues back then and be in AAA in the 3rd year. Joe West started at 21 after graduating from College. Gary Cederstrom started at 23, B.S. Education. John Hirschbeck 21, B.S. Phys Ed.. Tim McClelland 24 B.A. Recreation, M.A. Admin.. Gary Darling 22, Associates. Gerry Davis 23. Dana DeMuth 21. Jerry Layne 19. Jim Joyce 22 after graduating from College. Tom Hallion 22. Brian Gorman 23 B.S. Marketing. Dale Scott 21, Associates degree. Jeff Kellogg 23, B.S. Criminal Justice. Mike Winters 23, Associates. Ted Barrett 23 after graduating College. Fielding Culbreth ? after graduating College.

Keep in mind the "online" course situation that has materialized in this country where a very dedicated person could possibly umpire and take a course or 2 during the season or off season. You might want to get some special training for 2 years and then get the rest online. I believe some good tech jobs in the right situation may not require a full degree but still require certifications that will take several years. This was not available in the old days, but then again, there were more good HS jobs available when some of the Crew Chiefs started back in the mid 70's.

Now, whether you just like umpiring, or you are one that thinks (oops knows 100%) you could do better than the guys you see on TV with or without the replays you see, and would like to have the best training to pursue this as an avocation or a profession, I have not read about anyone regretting what they learned from taking the full course provided down in Florida. There is only 1 way to answer the question of whether you could have been (of course you could, look at how bad the ones up there are right????? you are the next coming of Bill Klemm, Hank O'Day and all the other HOF guys but even better) a MLBU, and that is to go to the school. That ends all doubt. You cannot win if you do not enter. Call up in your 6th, 7th, 8th year. Full time in your 9th year since you are the best. Quicker than getting your medical degree and making 125k to start "full time", pro-rated as a call up,  on up to over 400k with seniority and playoffs as of right now.

Good luck with your decision. It is yours to make. Just be ready in case something beyond your control happens in life, you will be in the best spot possible to continue on with life.

added 6/24

Here is an article about a MWL umpire who started right after High School. He is now a junior in college. He has been enrolling and taking courses in the fall at the school and then taking online courses in the spring. So with the new online courses available, it presents a new way to work towards a degree while on the road.

Grand Chute — No one cheers when Nate Tomlinson emerges from the visitor's dugout at Fox Cities Stadium and strides toward home plate on a warm June evening.

Tomlinson is young and strong, just like the ballplayers who are eager to begin another game. He, too, harbors big league dreams, which can only be fulfilled through years of hard work in ballparks in small towns and medium-sized cities across America.

He doesn't wear a glove or swing a bat.

The tools of his trade are a mask, chest protector and shin guards.

Tomlinson, a 2009 graduate of Waupaca High School, is an umpire on a long baseball journey.

"We're the arbiters each night," he says. "We're there to make it fair, give the game some integrity."

At 22, Tomlinson is in the midst of working 140 games in around 150 days in the Midwest League.

On this night, he's behind the plate for a game between the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and the Cedar Rapids Kernels. The game is crisply played, completed in 2 hours, 17 minutes, with only one close call in the field.

This is Class A minor league baseball, a low yet sturdy rung on the ladder to the majors.

Tomlinson earns $2,100 a month for about seven months, including spring training and playoffs. Travel costs are also covered.

He drives in a league-owned Chevy with his umpiring partner, Clint Vondrak, a 24-year-old from Reno, Nev. Together, they hopscotch from stadium to stadium in Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky.

"There are things you learn," Tomlinson says of this life in baseball. "The biggest is how to deal with others."

Tomlinson is 6 feet 4 inches tall, with dark brown hair and skin turned pink by the sun. He has an easy-going demeanor and a just-the-facts style on the field.

His friends back home are now getting out of college, searching for their first big jobs.

Tomlinson already has his job.

And no debt.

The college degree will come with time. He's a junior at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, studying history, working toward a teacher certification. He attends classes in the fall and in the spring takes online courses.

If the big-league dream doesn't pan out, he would like to teach social studies and coach high school basketball.

• Like 1

I'll throw my hat in there that I am interested in attending... Very long story short, college is looking more and more difficult to attend for me this year, and I should have the money to attend following my high school grad party.

I figure that now at 18 is as good a time as any to go for it... I mean, why not? Worst case scenario, I leave after a month of instruction with a great experience, and I have that diploma under my belt to work my way up into the college ranks. I then get into formal schooling at a community college after a "gap year"... Best case scenario, the obvious. I'm on my way.

Many people I've talked to though say that it's smarter to get a college diploma prior to going for it because you will probably need it somewhere down the road. What are your, and the umpire community on UE's, thoughts on attending TUS straight out of high school?

Thoughts?

You are the right age to attend. Make sure you are in top shape. They don't pick any fat boys for pro umpiring.

Thoughts?

You are the right age to attend. Make sure you are in top shape. They don't pick any fat boys for pro umpiring.

Define "FatBoy" please?

Thoughts?

Define "FatBoy" please?

FatBoy = BigUmpire  :wave:

• Like 1

Thoughts?

Define "FatBoy" please?

So true. 377lbs at the DRs office on Wednesday, BUT still a 40 inch waist!

Define "FatBoy" please?

Freak!  160# more than me with the same waist?

Define "FatBoy" please?

Freak!  160# more than me with the same waist?

How tall are you?

Served with a little Cubano.

He could whip all of  us!

38yr old-20 yr military retiree, the gentlemen is still in great physical shape, is Pro Umpire School past tense for a guy in that situation. I understand the training would be beneficial but I don't see a chance at PBUC being that old.

at 38 he will not get a chance... a small window might open, but it is not a good return investment to try for a PRO job... not saying you cant do it, but its tough at that age.. trust 1st hand I know...

at 38 he will not get a chance... a small window might open, but it is not a good return investment to try for a PRO job... not saying you cant do it, but its tough at that age.. trust 1st hand I know...

Listen to HDS.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot. Someone starts umpiring JV HS at 18 and is working D3 by age 24 when they are finished with their masters. They teach and continue umpiring and work D2 and D1 non-conference and then decide to go to the umpire school at 28. They work their way up to "call up" status but don't quite make it. They are released at 39 or 40. They are a 22 year baseball retiree and in great physical shape. They are in such great shape they decide they want to go into the military, and the military is not giving any special dispensations. Wonder why they will not take anyone at any age????????????

the minimum age for enlistment in the United States Military is 17 (with parental consent) and 18 (without parental consent). The maximum age is 35. However, DOD policy allows the individual services to specify the maximum age of enlistment based upon their own unique requirements. (Remember, I said no special dispensations for this answer).

Now, from what I have read here and there.

No one associated with the schools will answer in the negative concerning questions about age. To honestly answer age questions in the negative will bring tons of lawsuits just like in the real world. They can think it and do it, but they can't say it and do it.

Absolutely nobody on the full-time MLBUs staff today started MiLB in their 30's.

The current full time MLBUs that stepped on a Minor League field for their first game ever at the oldest age were Cuzzi at 29, Hudson at 28 and Rapuano (retired) at 27.

The last 3 umpires to step on an Minor League field for their first game ever in their 30's that became MLBUs were Charlie Williams at 32, Durwood Merrill at 34 and Frank Pulli at 33. They have all retired, and back then you could skip leagues and make it "full time" to MLB in 4 or 5 years. You cannot even get to AAA before the 5th year now. Then, you are there for 3 or 4 years before a full time offer. At 46 it is hard to get a guy to the maximum 20 years service that "Bill White" said in his book "uppity" on umpires is the magic pension number.

Absolutely no one on the current "call-up" list started MiLB in their 30's.

It does look like 1 current MiLB started at 30 or 31 and that is Marcus Pattillo in the PCL who has moved pretty quickly as one would hope (don't know if he is on "call up" status yet, but he is working 2013 AFL). Oops, also Carlos Torres who is in his 1st year in the IL. He started in 2009 at either 30 or 31. Also moved up to AAA starting in his 5th year like Pattillo, just like you would hope if you started in your 30's and being more mature and probably expected to handle situations better due to that maturity.

However, many D1 umpires have gone to the umpire school and that is pretty much the prerequisite for D1 now. In the old days you could just move from HS to College and some former players went right into College. It looks like with a completely open schedule you can work the Conference games on Weekends and a couple non-conference during the week. There are 15 weeks during the season which includes the Conference tournament, so you can pocket up to 30k before expenses and taxes if you can get the time off and live in an area that has several D1 teams within driving distance or they will fly you. You can go another 2 weeks if you get a Regional and Super Regional or a Regional and a CWS.

I am not trying to encourage or discourage anyone. I am only trying to give what I have found on the subject. There was a fireman(?) who went at 42 and got a MiLB job but did not last very long. Very very hard to do the older one gets, especially when the quest will take take 8 years as a MiLB with 2 of those on call up before landing the full time job.

• Like 1

Excellent answer, I am going to copy this answer and email it. BTW I'll be in his boat in about 10yrs! I'll take the 20+ yr retirement from the service :). I'll let you know what he says after reading your email thread.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Guest Z. Gomez

I agree with everyone here I wanted to go fresh out of high school in 2010 but opted to begin my college education first and right now I am a junior at UNT (University of North Texas) I've been working HS games in my area and I've gotten a few JC games but I will be attending this upcoming January because I just turned 21 and I only have about a year left for my Bachelor's which  will finish regardless. I'm hoping to get a spot in MiLB. If not I will probably be returning the next year but at least I will have a degree to fall back on. Good luck man with your decision.

Aspiring umpire here, still in High School.

What does everyone around here recommend prior to considering registering for umpire school? 

Open to any suggestions, recommendations, etc. Thanks in advance!

Aspiring umpire here, still in High School.

What does everyone around here recommend prior to considering registering for umpire school?

A 4-year degree.

• Like 3

Aspiring umpire here, still in High School.<br /><br />What does everyone around here recommend prior to considering registering for umpire school? <br />

<br />A 4-year degree.great answer!

Thoughts?

GO!  If I had the opportunity to go at 18, I would have done it in a heartbeat.  The window of opportunity to make umpiring your career is limited.  Even if you don't get a job, you've got great instruction and can work the kind of baseball you'd like.  And, you're still 18.  Education is invaluable.  The good thing about education is that you can start anytime. I started college later and it worked for me.

You're young.  It's always better to take risks while you're young than when you're older.

You'll never regret going, but, you may regret not going. I've never met a pro school alum that has ever regretted going.

I say go for it, young man!

Thoughts?

GO!  If I had the opportunity to go at 18, I would have done it in a heartbeat.  The window of opportunity to make umpiring your career is limited.  Even if you don't get a job, you've got great instruction and can work the kind of baseball you'd like.  And, you're still 18.  Education is invaluable.  The good thing about education is that you can start anytime. I started college later and it worked for me.

You're young.  It's always better to take risks while you're young than when you're older.

You'll never regret going, but, you may regret not going. I've never met a pro school alum that has ever regretted going.

I say go for it, young man!

Jeff ...

Matt is actually going!

• Like 2

I'm thinking of going to one of the pro schools just so I can do D1 college ball.  I turn 40 soon so I am realistic in my expectations of not making it to the majors and that's ok with me.  I already have my MBA, so college degree is not a problem for me. 

• Like 1