BRUMP

Been awhile....

But I'm back. No EJs for about 2 yrs now (granted I don't do as many as some of you). 10u game. I settle in for the first pitch. It's a ball. Second pitch is hit off the rcf fence. As the runner is rounding 2nd he gets tripped up and I call and point for OBS. I guess it took the HM awhile to comprehend it because we were almost ready to get going again when he starts rambling on about how it was the wrong call, he shouldn't be on third, he tripped on his own. Finally I responded "coach I made my call he's on 3rd let's play." He responds loudly with "that's a ridiculous call". I tell him "that's enough." Then he responds "your a terrible umpire." BANG! Go directly to the parking lot! Do not pass go do not collect $200!

• Like 1

Im interested to know anyone have an ejection quicker than 2 pitches??

Gentlemen, least I remind you that in this world of political correctness and proper etiquite, we no longer eject managers/coaches/players.  We merely confirm their desire to no longer participate in today's contest, AND their next scheduled contest.

Have a wonderful day my fellow arbiters.

Naaaa, F### IT!   Dump the rat!

• Like 4

I was the plate umpire on the 2nd game of a double-header, while standing at the plate collecting the lineup cards for the second game, my partner dumped the HC for for saying that he hoped I had a better idea of what a f%$#ing strike was than my partner did..........

Bingo!........

• Magic words- check
  • personal comments- check
  • Bringing up past arguement- check

valid ejection........  

Ticket punched.....

Train boarding for the parking lot, on track nine......all aboard!

• Like 10

I haven't but I have seen an ejection at the plate meeting.

Almost had one last week before I even got to the plate meeting, HC wanted to tell me when the game was going to start.  We had a difference of opinion, I won.

• Like 1

I had a manager yelling at us to get dressed faster between games. I bust from work to the first game so I am going to eat between games. I told him I would be there when we were changed out. He wanted to carry it further. I left the dressing area, went to field and read him the riot act and asked him if he wanted to stick around for the game. If not he could leave now. So I almost got one while changing. 

• Like 3

I think my quickest was three arguments and a dumped coach in the first two batters.  :wave:

Sounds like a good story!  What happened?

• Like 1

It is here somewhere but it was adult wooden bat. It was the end of the season, double that had to be played that night to determine post season tournament seedings. Depending on who won, it could force a completion of a game the next night. Both teams needed both games.

First game, I'm on bases, went 11 innings, ended controversially in a snappy 3:50. Second game I am the plate, gametime, 11:10 PM. I go to start the game, batter one foot in the box getting signs. The pitcher starts to pit, I have not put the ball in play. I step out to have a no pitch, batter jumps in the box, bangs the ball off the centerfield fence for a stand up double. I talk to my partner and I decided to keep the hit, penalize the idiot pitcher. The DM complains, I basically told him his pitcher QPed, batter hit it, tough. Second batter, same senario, ball still not in play, batter getting signs, one foot in and here comes the pitcher. There I could have simply called a no pitch and reset but the pitcher was being a moron, D1 pitcher, so I balked him. Manager complains, I tell him it is a QP, with runners that's a balk. Get three pitches thrown to B2, he does it again. That's a balk! You, score! Manager looses it. I tell him I have already explained it was a QP and a balk. The asst, is apoplectic, he says I didn't have a clue, haven't had a clue all year. He was going to get me banned from the league. Bang, parking lot. :wave:

I called the president the next day and he said somebody may be banned but it wasn't going to be me. I am now a commissioner of that league. To end the story, that game went 9 innings in 3:05. Game ended at 2:15 AM.

• Like 1

It is here somewhere but it was adult wooden bat. It was the end of the season, double that had to be played that night to determine post season tournament seedings. Depending on who won, it could force a completion of a game the next night. Both teams needed both games.

First game, I'm on bases, went 11 innings, ended controversially in a snappy 3:50. Second game I am the plate, gametime, 11:10 PM. I go to start the game, batter one foot in the box getting signs. The pitcher starts to pit, I have not put the ball in play. I step out to have a no pitch, batter jumps in the box, bangs the ball off the centerfield fence for a stand up double. I talk to my partner and I decided to keep the hit, penalize the idiot pitcher. The DM complains, I basically told him his pitcher QPed, batter hit it, tough. Second batter, same senario, ball still not in play, batter getting signs, one foot in and here comes the pitcher. There I could have simply called a no pitch and reset but the pitcher was being a moron, D1 pitcher, so I balked him. Manager complains, I tell him it is a QP, with runners that's a balk. Get three pitches thrown to B2, he does it again. That's a balk! You, score! Manager looses it. I tell him I have already explained it was a QP and a balk. The asst, is apoplectic, he says I didn't have a clue, haven't had a clue all year. He was going to get me banned from the league. Bang, parking lot. :wave:

I called the president the next day and he said somebody may be banned but it wasn't going to be me. I am now a commissioner of that league. To end the story, that game went 9 innings in 3:05. Game ended at 2:15 AM.

Wow!  What a story!  Glad I asked!

I think the most interesting part, for me (instructive), was how you and your partner handled the double on the first pitch, penalizing the defense.

Added spice was a game starting at 11:10pm!  After having already spent 3:50 to get in the first game.  And another 3:05.

Great ending too: "I am now a commissioner of that league."   :rollinglaugh: 

I haven't but I have seen an ejection at the plate meeting.

Didn't Ron Luciano dump Earl Weaver during a plate meeting once ?

He was supposed but it was another ump I think. He got dumped in the first game by U1, at the plate meeting new told the now PU he hoped he was better on the plate than he was on first. Bang

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

A buddy of mine in the NWL a couple of years ago got the manager at the plate meeting. Controversial call the night before (I seem to recall it had something to do with a lost count) manager came up and asked the umpire if he watched the video from the night before (we had video archives of all of our games, mainly to help us learn from the games as far as the umpiring aspect goes) umpire says yes, manager says so you know you got it wrong, umpire says I watched the video, manager says you're just an arrogant little prick aren't you, BOOM!!! Before the visiting team even got to the plate with the lineup card.

• Like 1

A buddy of mine in the NWL a couple of years ago got the manager at the plate meeting. Controversial call the night before (I seem to recall it had something to do with a lost count) manager came up and asked the umpire if he watched the video from the night before (we had video archives of all of our games, mainly to help us learn from the games as far as the umpiring aspect goes) umpire says yes, manager says so you know you got it wrong, umpire says I watched the video, manager says you're just an arrogant little prick aren't you, BOOM!!! Before the visiting team even got to the plate with the lineup card.

I don't know if I would have said I had seen the video, only to really not answer what I saw.  But still crazy!

I don't know if I would have said I had seen the video, only to really not answer what I saw.  But still crazy!

Managers are not allowed to reference replay, he was simply trying to acknowledge that he had seen the video and was incorrect without compromising his integrity as an umpire. Yesterday is yesterday, the manager should have never even referenced the video, the umpire was trying to defuse the situation by acknowledging that he had seen what happened and that he was wrong without saying that he was wrong. I don't see anything wrong with the way he handled the situation.

But I'm back. No EJs for about 2 yrs now (granted I don't do as many as some of you). 10u game. I settle in for the first pitch. It's a ball. Second pitch is hit off the rcf fence. As the runner is rounding 2nd he gets tripped up and I call and point for OBS. I guess it took the HM awhile to comprehend it because we were almost ready to get going again when he starts rambling on about how it was the wrong call, he shouldn't be on third, he tripped on his own. Finally I responded "coach I made my call he's on 3rd let's play." He responds loudly with "that's a ridiculous call". I tell him "that's enough." Then he responds "your a terrible umpire." BANG! Go directly to the parking lot! Do not pass go do not collect $200!

• “After the first pitch, one side will like you and the other side will hate you. After the second pitch, it reverses.†-plateumpire 

I threw a manager at plate meeting 5 years ago. He says hope your zone does not suck tonight (I give a consistent low strike) I say coach if I was you I would choose my words wisely. He says just saying your zone is fu*king horrible. I look at partner as he gives me the he has to go look so I dump him. He walks of calm as if he wanted to go. 

5 hours ago, Dotteump said:

I threw a manager at plate meeting 5 years ago. He says hope your zone does not suck tonight (I give a consistent low strike) I say coach if I was you I would choose my words wisely. He says just saying your zone is fu*king horrible. I look at partner as he gives me the he has to go look so I dump him. He walks of calm as if he wanted to go. 

At what point did the light bulb turn on in your head? 

On 5/31/2013 at 3:48 PM, mstaylor said:

Sorry I didn't read this one before seeing that it was posted eons ago but....

...."I have not put the ball in play. I step out to have a no pitch,...."  This doesn't make sense.  How can you let that hit stand?  Also, I'm sure the pitcher was taking signs from the catcher so I think he's the guy you need to work with.

Maybe there's more to the story?  Just wondering.