Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4951 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Saw this tonite from one of our seasoned umps. Hadn't checked with him yet but it makes some sense. LHP with R1. BU positions back deep B but midway between 1B and 2B. I'm guessing for the whole foot (FED) crossing the back edge of the rubber, which we don't have a good look at in 2man in B. On the pitch, if no "he's going" he slides to the working area. If he senses a steal he slides down the grass line towards 2B for a great look at the steal.

In the meantime he has got a better look at the foot past the rubber than we usually have in B which the coaches have a great look at. My mantra has been "your not gonna get that call in 2man unless it's gross" to a coach. But this looks like a great adjustment. What would we miss?

Posted

He should not worry about the Free foot,.. it a disadvantage of the 2 umpire system... and worry about where he should be.

 

to better answer his question, you should include a "why" answer.  Mention moving into the hitter's eye. Mention terrible look at pickoffs. Mention moving on a check-swing.  You're a trainer, no?  Give him a better answer  =)

  • Like 1
Posted

He doesn't have the look at the pick off at first, and where does he go to get away from the throw that may be coming to first from the infield?

I might be in a deep B with a lefty hitting, but halfway between 1B & 2B I feel would put me way out of position. I adjust my B position to - situation, RHP or LHP, type of move they have, defensive positions etc, but have never been that far towards first base

The back foot coming off, from B, is still obvious for the pitcher making the pick off play and gives a better angle on the play at 1st IMO.

Posted

The entire free foot has to pass the back edge of the rubber in FED before it's a balk to throw to first.  That's way far back there.  And, I'm not really sure he has a better look from the edge of the grass 1/2 way from first to second.

 

Your partner should stand more in the normal spot.

  • Like 1
Posted

He should not worry about the Free foot,.. it a disadvantage of the 2 umpire system... and worry about where he should be.

 

to better answer his question, you should include a "why" answer.  Mention moving into the hitter's eye. Mention terrible look at pickoffs. Mention moving on a check-swing.  You're a trainer, no?  Give him a better answer  =)

Well.. if your gonna mention that.. being in the hitter Eye.. is the least of any umpires concern.. I just see the Umpire " hey batter, you need me to move?"

Posted

Sure...let's take ourselves out of position for pickoffs and having to chase the runner on a steal for a better look at a 3rd world balk move...makes sense to me.

 

The chances of a high school (assuming HS since you said FED) pitcher being able to bring his entire foot past the back edge of the rubber while keeping his balance and picking at 1st base are about the same as the Cubs playing in October this year.

 

I would suggest this "seasoned ump" get his finger out of his nose, stop playing "what if" and position himself for a much more likely pickoff, steal and potential double play.

Posted

Per a PBUC instructor "for mechanics to work you have to START in the right position".

  • Like 1
Posted

MidAmUmp would probably even tell you that positioning in deep B, as some of you claim to do, is not a smart choice -- at least according to my association's president, who went to Springfield last year.

Posted

Starting in deep B will have you straightlined on pickoffs at 1st.

Posted

With R1 I setup in modified A for a good view of the pickoff. If there is a steal I let PU make the call at 2nd. :sarcasm:

Posted

With R1 I setup in modified A for a good view of the pickoff. If there is a steal I let PU make the call at 2nd.

:banghead:

Posted

With R1 I setup in modified A for a good view of the pickoff. If there is a steal I let PU make the call at 2nd. :sarcasm:

That can work real well if you move the PU to behind the mound.  Now you have the runner boxed in and that's one of the keys to successful umpiring if you only have 2 and not 15 umpires.

  • Like 2
Posted

We have guys that seem to want to go too deep in B and I can't figure out why. I will ding a guy on that every time, as well as many other senior umpires. Deep B with two guys is worthless. 

×
×
  • Create New...