Warning? And Post-Ejection Discussions

CricketChapman
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4158 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Long-time reader of these forums and I finally joined; this is a great site.

This was an ejection from the past spring. It was in pool-play at a 10U USSSA tournament (OBR); I'm on the bases in a two-man crew. Let me provide some contextual information: prior to the game, at the plate meeting, HT HC objects to the tournament-specific rule of only one coach is allowed outside the dugout when his team is on defense (I normally do not allow any coaches outside the dugout on defense, grounded in OBR 3.17 and 9.01©). The HT HC and I have a brief discussion, which I end with, "I understand what you are saying, but it is a rule, Coach, and it will be enforced. That's the end of this discussion - let's get ready to play." VT HC witnesses the conversation (it is near the end of the meeting) and it appears VT AC standing 10 or 15 ft behind him overhears it as well.

My question would be, why as the BU were you even involved in this discussion at the plate meeting?

The Plate Meeting belongs to the PU.

How did this conversation even get started?

What was the PU doing?

When I conduct a Plate Meeting as a PU, even when I ask my BU partner if he has anything to add, he better remain silent.

If you don't want to hear from your partner why even ask the question? What a douche, as youngn'blue would say.

Thank you for your kind words.

Think you have a lot to learn about umpiring as well as life.

Never said I ask my partner if he has anything to add at the plate meeting.

In the mean time :kissass: BAM

Yes you did!

As far as the AC "getting his money's worth" goes, where was your partner after you dumped him? Like everyone has said, ya'll are supposed to be a team and after an ejection, the other member of the "team" needs to do his job and corral the ejected party and get him off of the field or at least away from the ejector.

Only you were there, these were your decisions to make within the flow of the game. I think the op handled it well and wrote it well for easy understanding of situation. I always say AssManagers get little rope. I try to tell my teams that every year in my league.

All in all I think you did a great job. Thanks for sharing it with us!

• Like 1

As far as the AC "getting his money's worth" goes, where was your partner after you dumped him? Like everyone has said, ya'll are supposed to be a team and after an ejection, the other member of the "team" needs to do his job and corral the ejected party and get him off of the field or at least away from the ejector.

As I said in OP, he is inexperienced and has done very few travel games.

The AC was not threatening in his manner, just angry; our post-ejection discussion only lasted about 10 seconds. My partner was just standing behind the plate.

Only you were there, these were your decisions to make within the flow of the game. I think the op handled it well and wrote it well for easy understanding of situation. I always say AssManagers get little rope. I try to tell my teams that every year in my league.

All in all I think you did a great job. Thanks for sharing it with us!

I appreciate it, Danny. I just wanted to see some input on the situation.

As the BU I might "remind" the PU that the plate meeting is his and review the topics if I think that there might be a gap in experience. As the BU all i am going to say is my name and "good luck coach" X 2.

• Like 1

As the BU I might "remind" the PU that the plate meeting is his and review the topics if I think that there might be a gap in experience. As the BU all i am going to say is my name and "good luck coach" X 2.

Long-time reader of these forums and I finally joined; this is a great site.

This was an ejection from the past spring. It was in pool-play at a 10U USSSA tournament (OBR); I'm on the bases in a two-man crew. Let me provide some contextual information: prior to the game, at the plate meeting, HT HC objects to the tournament-specific rule of only one coach is allowed outside the dugout when his team is on defense (I normally do not allow any coaches outside the dugout on defense, grounded in OBR 3.17 and 9.01©). The HT HC and I have a brief discussion, which I end with, "I understand what you are saying, but it is a rule, Coach, and it will be enforced. That's the end of this discussion - let's get ready to play." VT HC witnesses the conversation (it is near the end of the meeting) and it appears VT AC standing 10 or 15 ft behind him overhears it as well.

My question would be, why as the BU were you even involved in this discussion at the plate meeting?

The Plate Meeting belongs to the PU.

How did this conversation even get started?

What was the PU doing?

When I conduct a Plate Meeting as a PU, even when I ask my BU partner if he has anything to add, he better remain silent.

If you don't want to hear from your partner why even ask the question? What a douche, as youngn'blue would say.

In the mean time :kissass: BAM

I guess I must have a lot to learn. I read, and I quote "When I conduct a plate meeting as a PU, even when I ask my BU partner if he has anything to add, he better remain silent". So now you "never" ask your partner if he anything to add? You'd make a great political candidate, since you can come down firmly, and AUTHORITATIVELY, on both sides of the issue, In my adult world, when someone asks me if I have anything to add, I actually expect the individual asking wants to know. Me? I don't ask if my BU has anything to add. I don't really think I have to prove I'm a tough guy who needs to put his partner in his place. But that's just me, not some old-timer with a bad heart and memories of younger days when he could look down and see his..... Shoes.

Wow! Really??? So sad!

Hope the moderators Ban you from here.

This coming from a guy who puts a disclaimer at the bottom of his posts that reads "Disclaimer: If you get offended easily then do not read my posts! None of my posts are intended to offend anyone. If you can't hack a couple of words you have problems!"

Wow! Really??? So sad!

This coming from a guy who puts a disclaimer at the bottom of his posts that reads "Disclaimer: If you get offended easily then do not read my posts! None of my posts are intended to offend anyone. If you can't hack a couple of words you have problems!"

Yes but you are intending!

You did say that. That's all he's reacting to. Don't take it personally; clarify what you meant.

Wow! Really??? So sad!

Yes but you are intending!

You mean like this?

"In the mean time :kissass: BAM"

Dateline - Umpire-Empire, November 2012

A general discussion between amateur umpires about proper pregame plate meeting ettiquette escalated into an all out brawl. Details are sketchy, but insiders report there were 2 main characters involved. Sides were chosen by the non-combatants, and insult were hurled. Sadly, the minor disagreement increased exponentially into an out-and-out blood bath. Early reports have 4 hospitalized and 7 fatalities. Among those who lost their life were Jocko Conlan and JaxRolo. While there was a Hall of Fame Umpire named Jocko, the deceased isn't to be confused with the original. Apparently, noone knows exactly who JaxRolo was. He is suspected to be a Puerto Rican/Cuban national living in the U.S. under political amnesty. Seems Pastafarians are outcasts in his native country. No word as yet who the other victims are. We will keep you updated as details emerge.

-Gregg Trout, Umpire-Empire Reporter

I always start out by introducing myself and the BU. I am surprised how many people do not know the basic pleasantries of the plate meetings. I shake hands with HCs and ask for their names, and then use them, if they don't offer them. The last thing I ask, before saying let's have a quick and safe game is to the BU. "Got anything?" I am not expecting anything, but I am courteous. I am sure if he did say anything, we would talk afterwards. One of the best lines I ever heard was when a manager was mentioning that his last game the umpire was "all over the place" with his strike zone. My BU says to me, "Dan, did you remember your glasses, this guy wants you to see a strike zone?" I said I brought my prescription mask.

Set the tone, be professional and courteous. Humor is OK.

• Like 2

I always start out by introducing myself and the BU. I am surprised how many people do not know the basic pleasantries of the plate meetings. I shake hands with HCs and ask for their names, and then use them, if they don't offer them. The last thing I ask, before saying let's have a quick and safe game is to the BU. "Got anything?" I am not expecting anything, but I am courteous. I am sure if he did say anything, we would talk afterwards. One of the best lines I ever heard was when a manager was mentioning that his last game the umpire was "all over the place" with his strike zone. My BU says to me, "Dan, did you remember your glasses, this guy wants you to see a strike zone?" I said I brought my prescription mask.

Again I ask - if you don't want to hear anything from the BU, why ask? It makes no difference to me either way, but if you ask me a question and then get pissed when I answer, I've got real concerns about working with you.

Here's why:

"Jimmy, you got anything to add?"

"Nope"

The BU has just confirmed his confidence in the team, and his partnership with the PU.

Saavy?

I've been a PU, and had a BU go for two straight minutes about sportsmanship. And it all had to do with his last game mismanagement, when things went south. Unless it's a glaring ground rule miss, stow it. If the PU gets something wrong, and the manager don't catch it, mention it to him AFTER the managers leave, and let him correct it on his own. Don't make the PU look like a dunce, right off the bat.

• Like 1

Again I ask - if you don't want to hear anything from the BU, why ask? It makes no difference to me either way, but if you ask me a question and then get pissed when I answer, I've got real concerns about working with you.

That is where knowing your partner or pre gaming comes in.

Now that I know you would chime in, I wouldn't ask you if you had anything.

Those that know the response is "No, I don't" would get the courtesy to be asked and included in the TEAM.

I only ask out of Courtesy.

BTW

That is what I meant about "WHEN"

Also

If you or your partner is inexperienced, again, better do a great pregame and teach someone something.

Otherwise, the PU has the Stick and he better learn quickly.

Something those of us with Military Experience call Command Presence.

That is where knowing your partner or pre gaming comes in.

Now that I know you would chime in, I wouldn't ask you if you had anything.

Those that know the response is "No, I don't" would get the courtesy to be asked and included in the TEAM.

I only ask out of Courtesy.

BTW

That is what I meant about "WHEN"

Also

If you or your partner is inexperienced, again, better do a great pregame and teach someone something.

Otherwise, the PU has the Stick and he better learn quickly.

Something those of us with Military Experience call Command Presence.

I want a 200 yard cleared kill zone, interlocking fields of fire between MGs. Conserver ammo when possible. 1 shot = 1 kill