Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4824 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Do the same punch out for rt. and lft. handed batters that's acceptable.cwith left handed batter I turn toward the third base dugout by putting weight on my right foot and I weighting my left foot and spinning on the rt. foot and then I "bow and arrow a punch out. Hope that helps. Practice in a mirror

Posted

Just do the bow and arrow facing the mound.  You have less chance of missing BI or something else in front of you. 

  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Posted

MLB practitioners have said that it is un-safe.  You create a tri-pod with you face being the most forward point.  When you take a blow there you are more susceptible to concussions.  All the energy travels back and jams up because you have no way to dis-purse that energy due to your stance.  Rather than having the ability to fall clear backwards in the box if the blow is hard enough.  

Posted

It is a theory that the scissors is dangerous. I have taken many 85 MPH and up pitches square in the face with no ill effects. It is also thought that it can lead to back problems. I have lower back problems but I have been climbing buildings, repelling, picking stupid heavy things all my life. I wore a nail pouch that weight probably weighed 30 lbs most my adult life, back pain is a result. I also have horrible knees and as such any box type stance kills me, that includes GD,heel/toe or any other variation so I scissor. I am good at it, solid in it and it is far easier on my knees. 

MLB also believed that buckets are better protection against concussions, that hasn't proven out either. If you work in any repetitive job, which being a MLB umpires is, you will suffer pain and injuries from doing it. I will, and have, admitted the shortcomings of the stance, less stable and requires dropping later, but it also offers great advantages. It makes a smaller profile for getting hit and offers a great view of the zone. 

Posted

I am a scissor guy and have been for my entire umpiring career (12 years).  I have been told a handful of times to try to work the box because it is more comfortable but I couldn't disagree more.  At 6'5 I almost have to get into a catcher's crouch to get low enough to be able to judge the top of the strike zone (maybe this is just my problem) and doing that many squats over the course of a full game as was less comfortable that the scissor.

 

I have been hit in the mask, but who hasn't?  I have never been hit in the cup. I'll keep the stance.

  • Like 1
Posted
Another no cup guy. I have 38 years with no cup shots. Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
If you don't have b###s you don't need a cup! Jk lol
  • Like 1
Posted

Another no cup guy. I have 38 years with no cup shots.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

If you don't have b###s you don't need a cup!

Jk lol

Dang jax, that's messed up...

Posted

 

 

Another no cup guy. I have 38 years with no cup shots.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

If you don't have b###s you don't need a cup!

Jk lol

Dang jax, that's messed up...

 

Yeah, but it was funny.  :hi5:

Posted

Jeff Nelson is one one the finest umpires in the game. His plate game is smooth. He steps back as the pitcher delivers. Some "step into" the position. I tried to be a box umpire. I just do not like it. I will say I have taken some wicked shots off the collarbone. The position does expose the collarbone to foul balls.

Nelson is the man.  You know his shirts sleeves are done custom so that they dont go all the way down to the elbow.  He is a innovator of equipment and uniform just as much as anyone else IMHO

Posted

The scissors should be banned from the umpire world anyway!!!

Why? It is not for everybody but I would be out of the game by now if I had to box. 

Posted

Not to insult anyone that uses it but to me it loos lazy and something mold people would use

Posted

If they look lazy then they are doing it wrong. I prefer the lack of stress on my body. Boxing causes stress on your back and knees, allows numerous cup shots and bruised thighs.

I will agree that it is not a preferred stance by many, is harder to learn and is less stable. What it is not, I'd done correctly, is lazy. At least half the guys in super regionals and CWS use it and looked good doing it. Now if you want to talk lazy looking, lets talk the knee.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Posted

If they look lazy then they are doing it wrong. I prefer the lack of stress on my body. Boxing causes stress on your back and knees, allows numerous cup shots and bruised thighs.

I will agree that it is not a preferred stance by many, is harder to learn and is less stable. What it is not, I'd done correctly, is lazy. At least half the guys in super regionals and CWS use it and looked good doing it. Now if you want to talk lazy looking, lets talk the knee.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

 

Like I said I mean no disrespect to anyone nor am i saying any of you are lazy.

 

I agree with the knee!

Posted

 

The scissors should be banned from the umpire world anyway!!!

Why? It is not for everybody but I would be out of the game by now if I had to box. 

 

I liked the look the scissors gave me but I won't work the scissors any more and the main reason is for pro school.  

Posted

Not to insult anyone that uses it but to me it loos lazy and something mold people would use

 

....and if there's one thing we need to make sure of, and that's to stop the mold people.  That's why I spray all my gear between assignments.

  • Like 6
Posted

For me I track the ball much better and stay locked in using the scissors. As for back issues not feeling anything yet.

My daughter approves my stance!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

post-2571-13739125443859.jpg

Posted

For me I track the ball much better and stay locked in using the scissors. As for back issues not feeling anything yet.

My daughter approves my stance!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Cute little gal is giving the scissors the thumbs up. Time to change.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...