Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5197 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

And for the record, giving the count on the 3rd and 5th pitch is textbook mechanic.

Appealing a check swing to an umpire in B or C is a textbook mechanic, too. :D

Maybe your area it's important to give the count on pitch 3 and pitch 5. Around here, it depends on the scoreboard and whether it's accurate. If I have a good scoreboard in a college game, I may go innings without giving the count. An umpire needs to give the count as much as needed. In some games, I'll give it every other pitch. In others, not nearly as often.

remember who this thread is for. An aspiring young budding umpire. He will develop his own methods over time. Until then, he needs to know the proper way to do this or that. And yes, it is proper to appeal cs in b or c, but for some reason, I was told never to do it by an evaluator I used to work for. It might be a state thing, or a local thing, or whatever, but it's what I was taught years ago. Never been a field problem, just an "other umpire" issue.
Posted

Watch the all star game tonight. Put your mask on and work the plate with Gerry. When he takes his off, so do you. It will help your mechanics. SWMBO thinks I am retarded when I do this, but it got my strike mechanic and verbal together. It's crazy but it works. Help your stance, timing, mechanics, the whole SH*#teroo.

Sounds like a good idea.

Posted

I think everyone here has said it all! I think you are brave and dedicated for posting the videos. You look better than last time, and the more games you do the slower the game will go for you. when the game seems fast to you, slow down. The hat bill facing forward takes you up 80% immediatley! All the others offer great advice and no reason to state each again!

Keep up the great work! I love to see the progression!

Posted

And for the record, giving the count on the 3rd and 5th pitch is textbook mechanic.

Appealing a check swing to an umpire in B or C is a textbook mechanic, too. :D

Maybe your area it's important to give the count on pitch 3 and pitch 5. Around here, it depends on the scoreboard and whether it's accurate. If I have a good scoreboard in a college game, I may go innings without giving the count. An umpire needs to give the count as much as needed. In some games, I'll give it every other pitch. In others, not nearly as often.

remember who this thread is for. An aspiring young budding umpire. He will develop his own methods over time. Until then, he needs to know the proper way to do this or that. And yes, it is proper to appeal cs in b or c, but for some reason, I was told never to do it by an evaluator I used to work for. It might be a state thing, or a local thing, or whatever, but it's what I was taught years ago. Never been a field problem, just an "other umpire" issue.

Your evaluator is an idiot. Actually he is just old most likely. At one time many discouraged going to the middle and there was a whole set of hidden mechanics about whether to agree or not. Go to your partner when asked, have him give you what he has.

Posted

And for the record, giving the count on the 3rd and 5th pitch is textbook mechanic.

Appealing a check swing to an umpire in B or C is a textbook mechanic, too. :D

Maybe your area it's important to give the count on pitch 3 and pitch 5. Around here, it depends on the scoreboard and whether it's accurate. If I have a good scoreboard in a college game, I may go innings without giving the count. An umpire needs to give the count as much as needed. In some games, I'll give it every other pitch. In others, not nearly as often.

remember who this thread is for. An aspiring young budding umpire. He will develop his own methods over time. Until then, he needs to know the proper way to do this or that. And yes, it is proper to appeal cs in b or c, but for some reason, I was told never to do it by an evaluator I used to work for. It might be a state thing, or a local thing, or whatever, but it's what I was taught years ago. Never been a field problem, just an "other umpire" issue.

Your evaluator is an idiot. Actually he is just old most likely. At one time many discouraged going to the middle and there was a whole set of hidden mechanics about whether to agree or not. Go to your partner when asked, have him give you what he has.

same org I told you about. I will check with TPTB to find out if I need to adapt. I agree we should go, but when you are told in no uncertain terms NOT to do something by people in authority, you don't question it. Even if you don't agree.
×
×
  • Create New...