Long sleeves underneath short sleeves

kristoffae
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4220 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I don't understand why he does this. If an amateur umpire does this you can say its because they don't have a jacket or long sleeve shirt. But Demuth has both available so y not where either one of those or a plate coat?

I think to much is made of this. Just be confortable and go Umpire! :stir

with navy ball bags :fuel:

and a mask which contrasts with the pads and has the throat protector on the outside of the top bar and your hat on backwards.

All of that in my opinion looks like crap. They can get away with some of it. You can too at some levels but not at others. It depends on how well your known in advance and maybe on the weather or time of year (rainy / cold or fall ball is more relaxed)

Plate coats are very warm, and it needs to be around 60, or below to comfortably sport one, for me. Long sleeves are great, and I even wear them on the bases (to the absolute horror of many of you).

I noticed this fellow was wearing a compression shirt over his c/p, and under his shirt sleeved shirt. That means he's also got another shirt under his c/p. Three layers. Now, if you've never worn a long sleeved shirt over your c/p, and under a plate coat, that's the slickest feeling of all. Hot, I'll grant you, but you look and feel cool doing it.

p.s. the only folks on the planet that noticed his undershirt were a small percent of us umpires. And what does that about us?

i realize I'm in the minority, but I don't get the issue. I feel like most, not all, umpires have a background playing and/or coaching baseball before they got into umping; I know I do. On a baseball field, a long sleeve shirt under a short sleeve shirt is about as common as buttons on a jersey. I see the need for the undershirt to be the same color as the shirt, unlike players and coaches using contrasting colors, but as long as that happens, what's the big deal?

As many years as I've spent on a baseball field, it's actually really comfortable for me to put a LS base layer under an athletic shirt anytime I do anything active and it's under 65. That's the way I was brought up as player, and as a coach I enforced it so I had to abide by it as well. It just feels natural at this point.

I get the standard that an umpire should always look professional - pressed clothes, clean shoes, matching, proper hat wear, ect. I just don't see how this violates that criteria.

For the record, I've yet to sport that look, against my desire to do so.

• Like 1