Touching the Cathers Back?

cuban
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4446 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Cuban...I work men's league from time to time...when I work the competetive division, 18+ open division, I get catchers that look like this. Especially since we have a very good DI program in our area and some of these guys stay here, get jobs and continue to play ball. Not to mention the guys who come here for jobs that played at all levels of college...some of them are very good and love to play at the highest level they can...

But the real point of my post was...How does this guy lock in and not move? How does he maintain a consistent head level when F2 goes into a "ready" stance to throw with runners on? The F2 is very low in his setup...it will not be that low when he has runners on...that is the REAL point of my post...I could care less what level this is for the players...semi-pro, college, men's league, babe ruth, high school...I don't care. Don't lose sight of the forest becasue of all the trees...

The first looks like men's league to me. Most of our catchers look like that. The second is definitely college. The PU is in a classic GD stance and is exactly where he should be.

Well thank you!

And he is a rather handsome fellow, too.

You won't touch a player to break up a fight??

The most I'll do is try to get out in front of a batter after HBP or in some situation where I have A LOT of buffer room between the two parties. If they're close, I'm standing back.

I don't think I have broken up a fight in baseball. I have in soccer and wrestling but never baseball. I did have an altercation with an 18 yr old but it was him and me, not a fight between players. In soccer I have had everything from kids fighting to having to stop an entire bench of adults clearing. We called the game when the stands started dumping on the field.

Never touch a kid. Words of wisdom from my fiance who is a licensed school teacher. If they won't let her touch a kid, why should I be allowed?

Breaking up a fight, matters to whether the coaches are doing anything (that is their job) or if one kid is in great danger of really getting hurt.

I have been putting my hand on the catchers back for a few years now. After working pro ball, i found this to actually be helpful as to when a catcher sets up late i can move along with him. I personally dont see a problem with it as long as you are not pushing the catcher forward.

Of course you don't think it's a problem - you aren't the one being touched.

I one armed over his shoulder a 14 yr old from behind when failed to stop from the whistle or verbal. Parent threatened to have me arrested for abusing her child unless I allowed him to play his next game, a playoff. The overning body called me and asked how to proceed. I told them no way, no how was the kid playing. She said she would press charges, the program director said go ahead but that meant he starts an investigation into the kid's future in the program. SOP in a case like this, she backed off.

Answer how you would respond to the following

1: At a 12U game, after the first half inning, the manager comes out and politely asks you to not touch his catcher.

2: At a high school game, after the first half inning, the head coach comes out and politely asks you to not touch his catcher.

3: At an NCAA game the catcher politely asks you to not touch him.

4: At a 12U game a Mom comes up to the backstop and says "Keep your hands off my kid you pervert".

I assume that didn't make sense. A 14 yr old started a fight with a kid the was 12 playing up. I came in telling him to back off and blew a hard whistle. Since he was the aggresser I wanted to control him. I did so by reaching over his shoulder and crossing his chest and backing up. Turns out Mom and Dad were the coaches. Their complaint was I choked him, not even close. I am trained to control altercations and have never choked anybody including adult drunks, I certainly don't need to choke a kid.

1: At a 12U game, after the first half inning, the manager comes out and politely asks you to not touch his catcher.

2: At a high school game, after the first half inning, the head coach comes out and politely asks you to not touch his catcher.

4: At a 12U game a Mom comes up to the backstop and says "Keep your hands off my kid you pervert".

First I don't touch catchers but anybody that does should stop the second they are asked. The mom in 4 needs to figure it out. I have certainly put my hand on a player's shoulder or back while talking to them. That would be far more questionable than finding distance on a catcher.

I will never have to answer any of these questions. I do not touch any catcher whom is working in front of me no matter how bad he is (or she, for that matter. I had a female catcher work in front of me once.).

Take a look at this joker's positioning, LOL.

0318Hiwassee_%20001_Carlson.thumbnail.jp

A Gerry Davis classic, and the same stance I have used for the last 6 years. Only difference I do is I curl my fingers around my knee guards. Keep the crook of my elbow out towards the pitcher, just like in this stance.

Love it!

• 2 weeks later...