Touching the Cathers Back?

cuban
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4461 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

When working the dish, I will lightly touch the catchers back with the finger tip of my middle finger.

In a scrimmage yesterday (my first of 2012) my partner told me I should not do this. He said that evaluators don't like it.

Any and all thoughts, please.

Touching players, in general, isn't a good idea, and catchers hate it when umpires touch them. I'm able to adjust where I am in the slot using peripheral vision. Peripheral vision also helps when F2 make a last second adjustment where I need to adjust as well.

I would advise against touching the catcher whether it is a light touch while going into your squat or resting your hand on their back.

I know some guys use it as a way to gauge their depth, others say it helps them clear the catcher.

I just say using my eyes does the same.

Agree with everyone on this one. It's not a good habit to get into. As an ex-catcher I don't need a massage and usually umpires try to gauge where catchers are by "almost" touching them. This to can become a problem when a catcher moves unexpectedly and your hand grabs him accidentally. Just find the slot, and adjust with your peripheral vision.

Reasons and advantages to do this do exist, but unless you're working professional baseball, don't do this.

We deal with amateur players at levels much less advanced than the pros in a world of crazy parents and trigger-happy lawyers. Not a good mix.

Reasons and advantages to do this do exist, but unless you're working professional baseball, don't do this.

We deal with amateur players at levels much less advanced than the pros in a world of crazy parents and trigger-happy lawyers. Not a good mix.

amen to that

I know my son despised an umpire touching his back. Many guys feel it hampers their ability to move to block balls. I doubt it does but the first time the catcher tells his coach hisn't digging pitches is because the umpire is on his back it is not going to be good. I've heard different reasons for doing it, I agree with none of them.

The only time I touch the catcher is in the first inning for warmups so I can get behind him and see how he sets and what I need to do to move correctly. I also do during warmups if there is a catcher change. Even then, I am doing it just barely, to get a feel for the catcher. I usually inform him too, while hes taking warmups. Its normally part of my conversation that includes questions like : "Whats your pitcher got today?" and we discuss what his pitcher throws.

I agree with not touching the catcher. I just don't see any reason for that. But it doesn't bother me when others do it. When I do have a partner that does it I mention it at post game and leave it at that.

Just my opinion.