Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5334 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

What's your preferred method for showing a three ball count using the left hand. I've seen it done two ways:

1. middle-ring-little finger combination

2. index-middle-ring finger combination

I've found that it's easier for me to use the middle-ring-little finger combo, as I can hold onto my indicator more easily with my thumb and index finger.

Please note that I didn't ask for the "right" or "proper" method, just your preferred method. ;)

Oh, if there is another option that I didn't mention, please share it.

Posted

What's your preferred method for showing a three ball count using the left hand. I've seen it done two ways:

1. middle-ring-little finger combination

I've found that it's easier for me to use the middle-ring-little finger combo, as I can hold onto my indicator more easily with my thumb and index finger.

Plus 1

Posted

What's your preferred method for showing a three ball count using the left hand. I've seen it done two ways:

1. middle-ring-little finger combination

2. index-middle-ring finger combination

I've found that it's easier for me to use the middle-ring-little finger combo, as I can hold onto my indicator more easily with my thumb and index finger.

Please note that I didn't ask for the "right" or "proper" method, just your preferred method. ;)

Oh, if there is another option that I didn't mention, please share it.

At the risk of falling for the old "How much does your clicker weigh?" question. . .

My way is how I'm told to do it.

6772388993_6cbce98269_m.jpg

  • Like 2
Posted

No trick question intended, just trying to learn from the U-E community.

Thanks for the feedback. It helps to know that I'm using a method that is used by others.

Posted

I use the second one. I don.t hold an indicator it is just easier for me.

Posted

I use the the Buckwheat method. I do the " oh-Tay" sign with my left hand. On a side note. I NEVER give a 3-0 count with my 2 hands . These are the following sequences where I give the count :

1-2, 2-1 and 3-2. Now I will give an odd count after a foul ball. If I do show a count for 1,2 or balls only or 1 or 2 strikes only I use only one hand. I am sure my methods will raise some comments.

  • Like 1
Posted

I was taught a couple years ago to use the index, middle, and pinky fingers (holding indicator between thumb and ring finger. Reasoning behind that was apparently when I was younger, the way I did it then (index, middle, ring) made it look like my fingers were just bunched together.

Posted

The thumb actually hold the index finger down much easier than trying to reach over to the pinky. So I use #1.

Posted

I'm on record as not carrying an indicator on the bases. Well, I also don't hold one behind the plate. I keep it in a modified pocket in my left Dri-Lo. I reach in after the pitch and turn a wheel. I zero it out, rarely looking at it to do so. It was a process to learn to put it away, stop looking at it and stop depending on it at all. The only reason I have it and actually keep it on the correct numbers throughout the game is to have a tool to prove to myself and others the count or number of outs. That is necessary zero to one, perhaps two times per game. It is a very free feeling to not hold it, and an even better feeling to not really need it at all.

That being said, I use--and love--the heaviest, most durable, most expensive all-steel indicator there is:

. t_107.jpg

Posted

I'm with Kevin on this one...I don't hold an indicator either. Into the ball bag it goes and stays.

The more important question is...how do you give the count?

I have been taught to give the count on the 3rd & 5th pitch in a time at bat...or in a critical situation.

How many folks giving a 3-2 count put up a fist on both right/left hands? How many folks give a "hook'em" horns for the 2 strike signal?

That is one of the first things our group catches and corrects...we don't like the 'Horns arounf here and a fist is not a number...

Posted

I like Jerry Crawford's 0-1 count:

jerrycrawford.jpg

Now that's the type of real world example that a new umpire can learn from. Excellent!

Posted

That being said, I use--and love--the heaviest, most durable, most expensive all-steel indicator there is:

. t_107.jpg

Just how heavy is it... :fuel:

I use this indicator as well. I've never weighed it, but I couldn't believe how heavy it was when I got it in the mail. Let's just say this - if you were to hit a coach in the head with it, he would likely be unconscious. It comes notched, and only goes up to 3 balls, 2 strikes and 2 outs - faster to zero out.

×
×
  • Create New...