Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4906 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm looking to purchase my first jacket. I'll be doing youth baseball and I checked with the UIC for guidance. He said to get whatever I thought would look best as almost all of the games will be done with a single umpire so there is no need to match on the field.

Any advice on what to get? There are a lot of options. The open bottom that can be tucked in versus the elastic bottom that is worn out. Stripes on the shoulders or no stripes.

I'm leaning towards the solid navy Cool Base jacket from Majestic. Is this the way to go?

Posted

For a universal jacket, I'd get the black/white Majestic Thermabase from ump-attire.com. Pricey, but high quality.

A really nice tuck-in jacket is the +POS, with the charcoal gray stripes. Classy and warm.

If you're working solo, that means you've got the plate. Get yourself a nice, black longsleeved jersey. The ones that theofficialschoice.com sell are actually pretty good, and they're on sale today for $15.

Posted

If you ever aspire to do two man games, it will make sense to get what those guys are wearing so you don't have to buy multiple jackets.

For me, I always buy the "open bottom" because it is easier to tuck in, since that is what is required in our area.

The elastic bottom tends to ride up if I'm on the plate.

Where as if I have the open bottom I can wear the jacket on the plate or the bases.

Posted

+1 on going with Long sleeve shirts on the plate in cool weather. If you layer up underneath with a long-sleeve under armor, you will need to wear long sleeves so the undershirt is not exposed.

The OC shirt is made of a nice material and is a great deal at $15.

I have worn the Majestic Cool Base Jacket, and while it is an outstanding super lightweight base jacket, (I hate stripes), I was still hot after a couple innings in gear with that jacket on TOP (45°) (any jacket, really).

I guess Jackets on the dish don't work for me.

Be sure to know if your choice is sized for the plate.

https://www.google.c...iw=1114&bih=294

Posted

CB:

What weather are you talking about ?? Cold Spring PA weather? Generic jacket just for cool nights??

Lots of options and lots of variables.

More than likely you'll be working 2 man sooner or later, so you'd want something that is:

1)) matches the requirements of the association and thus more likely to match someone else

2) get the same/similar jacket that others in your association have

I have (in Michigan)

Majestic Therma base (powder)

Navy +POS w/ red - open bottom

Black and White Smittys - elastic

Black and powder Honigs - elastic

Majestic Cool Base, black - optional

Oh ...and tucking ...

I can actually tuck them all if I'd like to ....(not really the Therma Base since I just got it and it's probably too thick)

I've only worn the Cool Base tucked..... nice!!!

Posted

Jackets you have so many options as to which style. You're in PA I would possibly suggest get what PIAA recommends Stan W. -- where are you??? Your area will have some pretty cold early/late season games where you might need one of the warmer options.

As for tucked or untucked it one of those when in Rome situations.

My association requires tucked, and I actually like the look.

Funny story and I've told it before. and I'll give the PG-13 version...

Im at the Southern Umpires Camp in Atlanta. Its day one on the field and were doing safes and outs. Its a cold day and were all wearing our jackets. This day because over the winter I packed on a few pounds I just so happen not to have my jacket untucked.

Ed Rapuano is walking around giving guys feedback, "stand up straight!", "Don't shake your fist", "good job!", "Keep your elbow up" I'm hearing his distinctive voice all around me talking to and encouraging the guys around me. He gets to the guy in front of me. Then he gets into it. "Ahhh we have a tucker here," You have to imagine it in his
Connecticut
(my ass Connecticut, only if there's a North Jersey in Connecticut - he sounds like out of central casting for the Soprano's -- Those who know him will get this) accent.

He starts laying into this guy about his tucked in Jacket. I cant help but to laugh. Ed sees me laughing and points to me and says, "You,
please be quiet
, do your safes and outs. I'm
having fun
with this guy. I'll
have fun
with you later."

Naturally this only made me laugh more -- and this was all in pure fun no malicious intent at all.

So we get broken down into groups and I'm in Rap's group first. As he's explaining the plate work drill were about to do I try to discretely tell the guy next to me who has his jacket tucked in to untuck it. He is not understanding me or something. And naturally when they called your umpire number they called his first. And the guy walks up with a tucked jacket.

Rap walks up to him and introduces himself, and then asks "Are you married?" The guy replies yes. "What is your wife's name?" He tells his wife's name. He then walks up to the video camera and launches into a monologue...

"(Wife's Name) I'm Ed Rapuano and I feel really
so very
sorry for you. You're married to this clown who likes to tuck in his
very fine
jacket. I can see you two now, getting ready to go out to a nice dinner and you waiting on this
person whose head might be of fecal matter
to get ready." Ed then changes his voice to a comical one - Imagine Eddie Murphy when he imitates a white guy on the old SNL - "Just one minute honey, I am having difficulty tucking my sports coat into my pants."

He goes on and everybody is laughing. They end with Ed and the guy shaking hands and laughing. Everybody had a good time and there were no hard feelings, but it was a riot.

  • Like 2
Posted

In my area I could probably show up in a navy sweater from Walmart and nobody would say anything...... BUT as I like to look professional I am also looking for a jacket to call some early bird tournaments. In Texas I don't have a need for anything heavy. I saw these two online, but I'm not sure if they are what I would want. I would like help as I do not have much knowledge on this. My league requires the navy shirts, cheap $20 at academy.

bbjt-s.jpggws-3_navy-s.jpg

Posted

CB:

What weather are you talking about ?? Cold Spring PA weather? Generic jacket just for cool nights??

I was mainly thinking early to mid spring when it's still cool outside. Somewhere in the high 40s to low 60s.

I contacted my local PIAA association and his suggestion was to get an all navy jacket with no stripes. He told me that's what most of the guys in his group wears. He also mentioned that they don't wear their jackets tucked in.

So at this point, I'm thinking I'll have to add a long sleeved jersey and the Cool Base jacket to my shopping list. My shopping list just won't stop growing.

Posted

My shopping list just won't stop growing.

You can count on that!

I literally just got off the phone with Krista at Ump-Attire.com and was fighting the urge so badly to just add one more thing, oh and another thing, oh and I really like these. But these gift cards from Christmas were burning a hole in my pocket. It will give me th ability to write some new reviews though.

I was strong and as an addict I did very well.

  • 1 year later...
Posted

I don't even get the tucking the jacket thing.  What's up with that?  Some guys in my assn. do it, some don't - there's no rule. But it's a "jacket" for God's sake.  Do you tuck any of your other jackets? 

  • Like 1
Posted

I don't even get the tucking the jacket thing.  What's up with that?  Some guys in my assn. do it, some don't - there's no rule. But it's a "jacket" for God's sake.  Do you tuck any of your other jackets? 

Bam, do you have a plate coat?  And, where do you reside?

Posted

I can't stand tucking in the jacket. I think it looks ridiculous, but if a partner insists I'll do it. I wonder how this started....when else would anyone ever tuck in a jacket?

Posted

I can't stand tucking in the jacket. I think it looks ridiculous, but if a partner insists I'll do it. I wonder how this started....when else would anyone ever tuck in a jacket?

How it got started?? That's easy....

121018094130-06-alcs-game-4-horizontal-g

Posted

I can't stand tucking in the jacket. I think it looks ridiculous, but if a partner insists I'll do it. I wonder how this started....when else would anyone ever tuck in a jacket?

How it got started?? That's easy....

121018094130-06-alcs-game-4-horizontal-g

 

Well, I still don't like it! :)

 

I guess it makes it easier to access your ball bag, but I don't like the look. Especially for those (of us) who may be packing...well...a few more pounds than the dude in that pic. With navy jackets like we use here, it just makes you look like Violet Beauregard about to get rolled out by the Oompa Loompahs.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

I can't stand tucking in the jacket. I think it looks ridiculous, but if a partner insists I'll do it. I wonder how this started....when else would anyone ever tuck in a jacket?

How it got started?? That's easy....

121018094130-06-alcs-game-4-horizontal-g

 

Well, I still don't like it! :)

 

I guess it makes it easier to access your ball bag, but I don't like the look. Especially for those (of us) who may be packing...well...a few more pounds than the dude in that pic. With navy jackets like we use here, it just makes you look like Violet Beauregard about to get rolled out by the Oompa Loompahs.

Totally understood .......I just wanted to show how things can get "popular" .........  :wave:

Posted

I don't even get the tucking the jacket thing.  What's up with that?  Some guys in my assn. do it, some don't - there's no rule. But it's a "jacket" for God's sake.  Do you tuck any of your other jackets? 

Bam, do you have a plate coat?  And, where do you reside?

 

I'm from CT - Eastern Board.  I don't have a plate coat (although I'd dearly love to own one), but you can be damn sure that if I did have one, I wouldn't tuck it.... :smachhead:

×
×
  • Create New...